Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which feature would you be the most excited for?

• Predictor

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Custom Notifications

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Location-Based Actions

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Dynamic Icons

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Widgets

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Siri API

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • Offline Siri

• Quick Reply (Messaging)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • New UI

Votes: 240 55.3%
  • Something Else (Be sure to post what)

• Total voters

trueblueguy

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
UK
iOS doesn't need major changes. The groundwork, for the most part, has already been set. My issue with it is that very little of it is fully realized or properly thought out.

I'd be content if iOS 7 simply streamlined, made everything fully work as promised (Maps, Siri, DnD), and gave us basic features that should have been implemented long ago- timestamps on messages, multiple user sign-in (a long overdue necessity for the iPad), quick toggles for WiFi, Bluetooth, brightness, etc, multi-finger gestures, and various other options that have been asked for since the beginning.

Amen to that. Ridiculously overdue

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
-Offline Siri
-Improved lockscreen notifications
-Improve NC message organization / Delete individual messages , not clear all.
-Third party API access with Siri, third party access to NC / LS.
-Smoother App store

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
Obvious but essential

iOS 7 needs to open up APIs for third parties for custom notifications in notification center. Some people want Android-style widgets, but I don't think that's in keeping with iOS's design philosophy. By that I mean that things like controls or other utilities don't belong in notification center. Instead, an app could be allocated the same space that the stock and weather apps are given for the purpose of feeding information in a custom format. Clicking on the notification would take you to the app, just like Apple's widgets. I know that's super obvious, but I'm confused as to why that wasn't added in iOS 6.

Having said that, I think quick access to controls should be added to the app-switching interface. I should not have to leave my app entirely to turn off Bluetooth.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Amen to that. Ridiculously overdue

I wonder if part of the reason multi-user login isn't available is because the goal is for each user to have his or her own iOS device. If it is easy for multiple people to use one iPad, there's no need for two or three iPads to be purchase.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Beautiful active tiles like Microsoft has implemented.

Aesthetically I think Microsoft has done a good job, but I still wouldn't switch to their ecosystem.

Jaskov

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
An Apple built-in feature allowing a jailbreak and a complete co-operation between Apple and jailbreak developers.

Yeah, that's never going to happen.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Personally, I think giving Sir Ive the reigns to the software division could prove to be a huge powerplay. He's done amazing things with the hardware, and I'm excited to see what he can do in this area as well.

Just because he's "not" a software engineer doesn't mean that he doesn't know what needs to be done. I mean, I see COUNTLESS posts about what would make the UI "better" and I doubt half of those posters know anything about software dev.

Doesn't take a Da Vinci or Van Gogh to hang a picture right side up.

Last edited by a moderator:

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
One simple thing

I've always wanted the option to turn off/silence camera shutter sounds (much like lock screen and keyboard clicks). I'm not sure why that hasn't been added yet.

----------

I want the new iBooks 3 to sync everything between all my devices, so that if I add a .pdf or download a book sample, those things will automatically sync to iBooks on my other devices as well. Otherwise, it is very time consuming to add and organize a lot of PDFs on every device individually.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Isn't he an industrial designer and shouldn't software be done by software designers?

Changes in iOS 7? I gave up hope..... My next phone is something else.

Pretty much right there with you. Next phone won't be till about Mid 2013 so i'll get the chance to see the iOS 7 announcement as well as the next android update as well.

Still not really interested in WP.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
iPhone OS does pretty much everything I really want it to do. I think most people do not need drastic changes but would welcome improvements. Better ibook sync including iBook for windows/Mac OS, yes. iMessage for windows? Extensive customization option? Eh, not going to happen.

Last edited:

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Well, first of all, they need to fix the UI nonsense and other bugs. ASAP - there's no reason to hold it till the release of iOS7. Why is the bottom bar in the telephone app different (<iOS5 style) from the bar in the App Store? Also the new silver keyboard is just hideous.. And since it's not possible to downgrade to 5.x anymore, the better do it fast.

Just an example...

qnso74.png
a3m5ut.png

It looks like a very bad winterboard theme. I hope Jony Ive will do some major changes, UI-wise - polish it, fix the inconsistency, get rid of that hideous skeuomorphism stuff, and so on...

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
1. Voice only activation of Siri... "Hello Siri". Imagine saying "Hello Siri, flashlight" without having to push any buttons.
2. True streaming of purchased video content.
3. Merge purchased video content into the Videos app. Right now, you have to go between iTunes app and Videos app. This sucks. I paid a lot for this stuff.
4. For iPad, provide non graphical view in Music app. I don't always want to look at covers.
5. Fix problems with App store.
6. Instead of discrete screens of icons, I'd like a smooth scrolling vertical screen of icons (maybe, I'd need to try it out though).
7. Approve Google maps app.
8. Better control of photos in photos app. Sorting, keyword support, display filters, etc.
9. Aperture for iOS with support for RAW file editing.
10. Make certain UI animations faster.
11. LED for missed phone calls.

GMArthur

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
I guess my wishlist is pretty slim compared to most.

• Toggles in app switcher - Double click the home button and swipe from left to right and give me 4 toggles. Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, Brightness.

• General bug fix - Go back to the "It just works" philosophy.

• Ability to set other apps as default - Let me pick a navigation app or podcast app to use as default.

• Keyboard redesign - Make the capital letters capitalized when shifted and the lowercase letters lowercase when not shifted or caps locked

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Isn't he an industrial designer and shouldn't software be done by software designers?

How is design different between those two things?

Engineering yes big massive difference(s), but designers in technical design fields deal with so many different engineering disciplines not sure there would be a problem. He'd already be leading teams with so many different types of focused designers and engineers, with all the issues of information cross-pollination that brings. Maybe that is the real skill set Apple (Tim Cook) is hoping to bring to UX and design by getting bring him in.

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
All people say "The UI is stale" "the UI is boring" "I just can't stand a dull UI"

WHAAAAAAA!!!!!

Guess what. Cars still have 4 wheels and an engine. Why redesign what works perfectly?

I say iOS needs reorganization, so that it looks the same to the average consumer but things are located more intuitively, like settings and inter-app connections.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
I would like:

-Multiple users
-Less steps to toggle settings (like toggling wifi on/off), i.e. more efficiency

That's all I really care about from an OS perspective.

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
The UI is everything. It's how you interact and digest content.

I suspect Apple will move toward a more digital interface. Away from skeuomorphism. That with a heavier touch of nature. By that I mean the UI feels alive and responds in a distinctive way on all gestures (think rubber-band scrolling). It will also allow them to reinvent UIs that are limited by the elements of the physical world. Lots of cool stuff to come.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I would like:

-Less steps to toggle settings (like toggling wifi on/off), i.e. more efficiency

Same for:
• Switching data and 3G on/off EASILY

One more thing I like to see:
• to enter a ' ' (space) when saving phone numbers (some people outside the USA have phones too)
• can change mapping of the phones '+' sign (I use a cheap dial code)

And of course:
• Google Maps

And:
• upload images from the Camera Roll to Dropbox
• a file browser (Windows has it since 1995)
• able to get apps from other sources (WP7 can do that!)

KaigeG

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
Texas
Not only hardware!

His amazing designs with hardware (industrial design) is what made Tim feel he could do amazing things with software, he's not the one actually writing the software, he's just the one who sits with his cup of coffee and pen and paper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.