Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

socalian12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
I'm debating on whether or not I should add mobile insurance for my iPhone 5. It's $9.99 a month and if I lose it I pay a $200 deductible without signing a new contract.

But my question is that what prevents anyone from making a fake claim and paying $200 to get another iPhone 5 (because obviously the market value is much than that even if the phone gets disabled)?

Also what is the ease of filing a claim with Asurion? Has anyone has any experience with them or AT&T?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I pay $6.99 a month for Asurion from AT&T for a couple different lines. You don't need the nore expensive option. I have it in addition to AppleCare+ in case I lose my phone.
You do need to file a police report if you want to make a claim, so you could get in some trouble if it is found out you are lying. That limits your ability to use and sell the phone you have reported missing. The phone also may get blocked, at least here in ate USA.

socalian12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
What is the additional $3.00 for the Mobile Protection Pack - Enhanced Support? It sounds useless now that I typed it lol.

shelbymayer

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
You need a notorized affidavit to make a claim for a lost or stolen phone including a police report. If you get by that the original phone is blacklisted and can not be used on at&t or any major carrier in the us.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I'm debating on whether or not I should add mobile insurance for my iPhone 5. It's $9.99 a month and if I lose it I pay a $200 deductible without signing a new contract.

But my question is that what prevents anyone from making a fake claim and paying $200 to get another iPhone 5 (because obviously the market value is much than that even if the phone gets disabled)?

Also what is the ease of filing a claim with Asurion? Has anyone has any experience with them or AT&T?

Ummm, you have to send the phone you make a claim on back to Asirion or they charge you a ton and also AT&T kills that's phones ESN.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
What is the additional $3.00 for the Mobile Protection Pack - Enhanced Support? It sounds useless now that I typed it lol.

Haven't looked at it in a while, but the enhanced support is similar to Find My iPhone, so I would just use that instead since it is free.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
You need a notorized affidavit to make a claim for a lost or stolen phone including a police report. If you get by that the original phone is blacklisted and can not be used on at&t or any major carrier in the us.

Well, that and the insurance fraud....

Seems like there would be better scams out there than trying to swindle a free $200 iPhone. Have you thought about emailing people and telling them that they are lottery winners (and all they have to do is send you some $$$ upfront for processing)???

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Is this true? Usually it's only a police report.

Abandapart82

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
I just went through this. Mine was technically lost and not stolen so I didnt need a police report but i did need an affidavit. They didn't tell me to get it notarized and my claim was just approved. Should be getting my replacement iPhone 5 in a few days.

xA4Hx

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2007
World wide database is going to go online for stolen phones to stop people from activating stolen phones

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
This may not be the case in every instance, but when I reported my iPhone 4S stolen, they never asked for the police report. I had even gone through what I would describe as extraordinary measures to get one, since the theft occurred while I was in Mexico.

When I received the replacement, it included a note reminding me to return the old damaged phone, but a day or two later, I got an email saying my claim was closed and no further action was necessary.

I had to go to two different police stations, and finally a city administration office, where I had to wait several hours for the police report. Fortunately, I had a friend with me who spoke Spanish. I finally got a notarized document saying I was robbed and what was stolen, but it was never asked for. Was still glad I had it just in case and would probably do the same in a similar circumstance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.