Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I prefer good old fashioned print comics generally, with the odd digital graphic novel

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
eworld maybe?

Back in 1991, there was basically AOL for DOS (in the US), CompuServe, and a couple of others.
With a top of the line 14.4kbps modem, it'd take approximately 7 hours (!) to download one copy of a comic, which would instantly fill up your brand new hard drive.
Today I could download a few thousand comics in a couple of minutes -and wirelessly- on a tablet thinner than a book.
How times have changed...

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
So the days of collecting comic books in hope they will someday increase in value are over. There will never be another first edition of anything that a collector will want. So it goes I guess...

As a long time comic collector (I spend on average $300 a month), I can tell you that the addition of digital comics will only increase the value of certain comics.

If the comic audience grows via digital, the publishers will continue to release the print versions, but the runs will be smaller making their value increase. So while the non-collector will be buying the digital copy and trade paper backs, the collector will be getting the print version.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
This is great news not only for Apple and DC, but also small publishing companies — including mine — that also have comics (or, in my company's case, manga) in the iBookstore. It increases the likelihood that comics fans will discover our titles while browsing the store for titles by the big publishers.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
YAWN :confused:

Seriously, who reads comics in 2012? How many times can Superman die, then return to life?

I know you're just a troll (as your name suggests), but I will bite with a simple fact. 3 out of the top 5 highest grossing movies this year have been based on comic book characters. I am sure a good percentage of these viewers are also reading the comic.

Also, wake up and grab some culture. There is an exciting world out there that isn't delivered by your video game system.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
It's funny, all these comments. DC Comics and Marvel and tons of other publishers have been selling digital versions of their comics on Comixology and other platforms for a while now. There is no "embracing the future".

It appears many people are not aware there have been digital editions for awhile now.

I can't wait until I have kids and I can sell my iPad comics to help pay for their tuition.

Buy or collecting anything with the intention of it increasing in value so be very so-so. I have a bit of an issue with digital comics, it leaves no room to give away, trade, sell if one wishes to plus the pricing is questionable. Personally I am just a reader, however being just a reader I cannot say I mind finding out that comic I bought is now worth fifty dollars because it became a hit, I can sell the lot, buy the trade if I want and that the rest.

Of late I noticed how much Walking Dead issue one is going for, :eek: I would have bought a pile of those. It looks like I rather comics be worth more as a reader then a collector because if I am collection I likely rather not be tempted to sell unless that is not an issue then it can be cool having some rare books. As a reader I surely do not mind if any random issue becomes valuable, I just want to read them so even breaking even would be great instead of the insane drop they currently have.

JimDeGuz

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
Hello!

I've been an avid comic book reader since I was 10. I have a local comic shop I go to every Wednesday. I look forward to it and it still gives me a thrill to read them. I always get the hard copy and sometimes download the free digital ones that come with Marvel's line. I don't know why DC doesn't include that on at least some books. But my point really is those digital files will be worthless in the future. Imagine Action Comics #1 in digital format!

I don't know how people CAN'T read comics when the biggest movies in the past few years have been about comic book heroes. Those same people will complain that they have to wait years to get to a new movie when their heroes' stories go on every month. All they have to do is go to a comic shop or even Barnes and Noble who carry a lot of mainstream titles! The books will always be canon and the movies will always be a nice way to bring those drawings to life.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Yeah but compared to some companies who say screw it, who cares about giving our customers a good digital experience, this is nice to hear every once in a while.

Seeing the list of publishers on Comixology, I'm not sure there's really a lot who think like you've just said.

And frankly, iBook to me is "screw it, who cares about giving our customers a good digital experience". The iBookstore is not a good digital experience, it's DRM'ed, single-vendor, single-platform, lock-in.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Seeing the list of publishers on Comixology, I'm not sure there's really a lot who think like you've just said.

And frankly, iBook to me is "screw it, who cares about giving our customers a good digital experience". The iBookstore is not a good digital experience, it's DRM'ed, single-vendor, single-platform, lock-in.

All the e-book's are like that... the only the difference is Amazon provide kindle app's for multi platforms.

They will soon realise, like music, that non-drm is the way forward; it's harder to scan a book than rip a CD; but still ...

I just wish Apple would make a reader for the mac desktop, retina MBP's would be great for this.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Still waiting for publishers to offer series bundles via the app vs their websites. Dark Horse has it in their app now, but the other publishers haven't caught up yet.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Heavy Metal magazine (former Metal Hurlant), HellBoy or anything by Dave McKean, Serpieri, Vertigo …
NO Marvel or DC comics.
I would die to get Heavy Metal (and its French counterpart) on iBooks. I have all the original HM mags.

A little too adult for Apple though?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
All the e-book's are like that... the only the difference is Amazon provide kindle app's for multi platforms.

You chose to ignore the "single-vendor, single-platform" part of my post. That was an AND proposition there, not an OR. iBook is a bad experience because it's DRM'ed, AND single vendor, AND single platform, AND only exists to promote vendor lock-in to Apple's ecosystem.

At least with Comixology, all I need is a web browser.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA

I'm not talking specifically comics. I mean an example is CBS. ABC and NBC have apps to watch their shows for free (with ads of course). CBS doesn't. ABC and NBC are on Hulu. CBS isn't. Although they aren't obligated to do either of those, it would increase the customer's digial experience. (Plus CBS would probably profit from ad money)

OMN

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
New York, New York
ComiXology

I been using
ComiXology On iPhone and iPad its got more then just DC books and features like .99 marvel mondays i think its just limiting what books you can read i am just offering an alternative if you or anyone is thinking to get into or back into comic books

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Back in 1991, there was basically AOL for DOS (in the US), CompuServe, and a couple of others.
With a top of the line 14.4kbps modem, it'd take approximately 7 hours (!) to download one copy of a comic, which would instantly fill up your brand new hard drive.
Today I could download a few thousand comics in a couple of minutes -and wirelessly- on a tablet thinner than a book.
How times have changed...

Awesome to ponder isn't it?

I remember getting a new computer in the mid-90's and decided to fork over the money to upgrade my HARD DRIVE from 4 to 8 GB.
One of my friends was like, "Why would you ever need that much space? Are you going to download encyclopedias?"

It's great that more and more digital titles are making the leap.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
mega nerds rejoice.....

Now imagine a site devoted to rumors about electronics coming out. That's some real nerd juice. It could even have articles about the private lives of the executives!

You chose to ignore the "single-vendor, single-platform" part of my post. That was an AND proposition there, not an OR. iBook is a bad experience because it's DRM'ed, AND single vendor, AND single platform, AND only exists to promote vendor lock-in to Apple's ecosystem.

At least with Comixology, all I need is a web browser.

Amen to that.

xforce11

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
They need subscription based pricing. Its too much to keep up with several series on a one-time buy plan...
I so agree. I currently have subscriptions to Batman, Batman & Robin, Nightwing and Justice League. If they offered subscription based pricing I'd gladly switch over to digital and save space in my house.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
Awesome to ponder isn't it?

I remember getting a new computer in the mid-90's and decided to fork over the money to upgrade my HARD DRIVE from 4 to 8 GB.
One of my friends was like, "Why would you ever need that much space? Are you going to download encyclopedias?"

It's great that more and more digital titles are making the leap.

haahaa yeah, I remember those days. GBs were rich mans things. lol.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Check out a free NARR8 app, especially their Jam comics, it's a coolest mix between comics and animation! This is how comics should be done on the iPad in the 21st century.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.