Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkknight11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
I originally ordered the LTE model last week, but the wait was killing me! So I picked up a WiFi only model so I can go for a test drive for 2 weeks. I will be leaving the country on travel for 2 weeks, so I need to return this before or not. Having a connection for LTE will be useful, but I have an iPhone 5 and Wi-Fi should be easy to find where I am traveling. I just don't like to be "restricted" with usage, but $130+data may not be enough to justify the purchase, esp when the mini 2 will be here in 6-12 months and I will 100% upgrade.:apple:

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Lame. Just wait like everybody else for the LTE version.

It's wrong to buy a product, knowing full well that you plan on using it and returning it. It seems to be happening here a lot. I'm sure the price of Apple products is more now than it would be if this practice wasn't so rampant.

Sure, I'd like to have my LTE mini now, but I'm a big boy and can wait until it arrives in a couple weeks.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

It's wrong to buy a product, knowing full well that you plan on using it and returning it. It seems to be happening here a lot. I'm sure the price of Apple products is more now than it would be if this practice wasn't so rampant.

Sure, I'd like to have my LTE mini now, but I'm a big boy and can wait until it arrives in a couple weeks.

Agreed. It won't kill anyone to wait a few weeks.

sealos

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
Darknight, I did the same thing. You should be ok returning especially since you are doing it to buy another, more expensive product. Also keep in mind any purchases from Nov on fall under the holiday return policy which gives you until Jan 7 or something.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009

Companies aren't stupid. Don't think for one second that Apple, or any other large company for that matter, thinks of every consumer as highly ethical human beings. Their policies are short for a reason. If returns were a huge issue, you'd see a different policy pop up. It's not like Apple is losing money sitting on its 100 billion cash reserves.

Sorry, I'm not exactly agreeing with OP, but at the same time, policy is policy, and it's the company's choice. Furthermore, it's the consumer's choice whether to "try" a product with intentions of returning or not. No one is circumventing the system by utilizing a universally available policy.

Moral is: don't feel sorry for Apple because people are "taking advantage" of them. Both parties know what they are getting into.

darkknight11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Darknight, I did the same thing. You should be ok returning especially since you are doing it to buy another, more expensive product. Also keep in mind any purchases from Nov on fall under the holiday return policy which gives you until Jan 7 or something.

sealos - are you sure this is the case for the iPad mini? the guy at the 14th street nyc store said 2 weeks!?

sealos

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
Please get off the high horses...

Why is this taking advantage? I get to test out the Mini then buy a more expensive device a couple weeks later. Apple gets the credit of my purchase to add to their launch sales numbers. Apple benefits from me buying an LTE device. My original device gets returned and someone will be able to buy a refurb Mini later on for cheap.

What is the difference if I bought the wifi mini first and realized I wanted a larger capacity device and LTE? Would all you sanctimonious folks chide me for not making the right decision before I ordered?

g808

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Why LTE version instead of getting a tethering plan? Battery drain from tethering? You want GPS? Both and then some?

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
There's no harm in trying a product and returning if your not satisfied.

The company will decide to either accept or refuse your return.

They know who returned what, where you bought it, where you returned it, and how many returns you've made. They can blacklist anyone anytime, and permanently refuse any future returns for any reason if they want. You really have to piss them off to get that far, but it happens.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Why LTE version instead of getting a tethering plan? Battery drain from tethering? You want GPS? Both and then some?

This is a personal decision but if it helps, I have the ipad 3 with LTE. I also have an iPhone 5 with unlimited data. I bought an lte plan for the ipad for two months but cancelled it and just added the unlimited hotspot feature to tether from my phone. Provides much more flexibility for me and being able to tether via Bluetooth and wifi is nice. Bluetooth not only uses less battery but also can be initiated while iPhone is asleep. Since personal hotspot being on does not use much battery at all unless its in use, I leave it on and then when I pull out my ipad I can just connect and surf while the iPhone stays in my pocket asleep. When I want pure speed I switch over to wifi which has better throughout especially w LTE.

Again for me, I don't remember any time when I had my ipad and didn't have my phone so never an issue to tether. I also find Bluetooth tethering only has a small impact on battery life for the iPhone.

The GPS issue I can't speak to since I do not need it on my ipad although I could see how having it is nice since you could triangulate your location without data.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
There's no harm in trying a product and returning if your not satisfied.

The OP stated his intention was to buy the WiFi version, because he didnt want to wait for the LTE version. He planned on returning it, even before he bought it.

He didn't state that he was unsatisfied with the product and was returning it for that reason. I'm totally OK with that scenario.

As a business owner, my guess is people who think its OK to do that are not business owners themselves. It's just wrong, IMO

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
tethering is a mess, it's really a hassle.

for full size iPad, yes the wifi version is more valuable for me because it's always left out at home (99% of the time), because of the cumbersome it brings to me.

but with the mini, this thing is really portable and light, you can go everywhere and just grab the mini and go. so LTE is a must.

im waiting for the LTE, and this pain of waiting is killing me.

wewefwef

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012

With ipad mini LTE I will ditch my iphone 4 and only pay $20 a month for what I previously paid $50 a month for.

I don't need an iphone, and soon all you will have is a data connection with a "phone". Google Talk renders an iphone useless for me. The big iPad was just too big, and the iphone is still too small to enjoy surfing and email writing.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Everyone is entitled these days. So sad :(
Do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

Hmm, I don't think this is a moral issue. OP didn't promise anyone that he'd keep the mini, just like Apple doesn't promise anyone they will keep their prices lower than their competitors. And I don't usually return stuff, because frankly I find it a hassle.

The real moral issues we should concerned about is what it really takes to get these devices in our hands. That worries me.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
The OP stated his intention was to buy the WiFi version, because he didnt want to wait for the LTE version. He planned on returning it, even before he bought it.

He didn't state that he was unsatisfied with the product and was returning it for that reason. I'm totally OK with that scenario.

As a business owner, my guess is people who think its OK to do that are not business owners themselves. It's just wrong, IMO

People are already buying and returning them now because they didn't want to wait for the retina screen version. They knew full well why they would return it before they even bought it. Are they somehow different?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm generally happy with the wifi version though the LTE model will increase its ability and functionality however I don't think I want to spend 459 on a tablet and then a monthly 20+ a month for network access.

If I need network access and there's no free wifi, I'll turn on my iPhone's wifi hotspot and use that on an as needed basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.