Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I seem to have a slight gap at the top of my iPhone 5 between the glass and metal frame? I can slide a Post-It note in between them. Is this normal or am I looking at calling AppleCare? I do not have the gap at the bottom of my phone.

----------

Actually, there is the same gap all the way down the right side of the phone as well. Only the left side and bottom are tight together.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I have it too.

send it back and roll the dice if you want. I would advise against it.

----------

...in fact, I never noticed (my phone is black) until someone on here posted it. I took my incipio case off (it covers this part up) and slid a tiny corner of a piece of paper in there. It blew up.

(just kidding)

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I have it too.

send it back and roll the dice if you want. I would advise against it.

----------

...in fact, I never noticed (my phone is black) until someone on here posted it. I took my incipio case off (it covers this part up) and slid a tiny corner of a piece of paper in there. It blew up.

(just kidding)

Haha. Ok good to know. I'm thinking they are all like this? Least I'm not the only one.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
As thin as a post-it note is normal for that gap.

In fact, my iP5 arrived with adhesives stuck in the gap in a couple of places but they seem to have fallen out (or dried up) as I can't see them anymore.

legreen

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Mine has a slight gap. A couple of iPhones I sent back had quite large gaps and you could wiggle the screen, just one reason why they were returned.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
all the ones ive looked at have this issue

False.

This is not an *issue* it's obviously a design implication.

"Oh no! My black iPhone came with the metal surrounding band black and the back is a black color. I've heard a lot of the black models have this issue"

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
I have the same gap on my black iPhone 5, it's most noticeable on the top right hand corner when the front is facing towards you. I'm not bothered by it though, I was at first since some piece of dirt got caught in there, but I took it out and haven't notice it till now.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
Mine has this too. Kind of annoying cause dust gets in between and it's noticeable when the dust is white with the black iphone.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Kind of annoying cause dust gets in between and it's noticeable when the dust is white with the black iphone.

Same with the black earpiece on the front of the black iP5, on which white dust is very noticeable. Dust was far less noticeable on the black iPhone 4/4S's silver earpiece.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Same with the black earpiece on the front of the black iP5, on which white dust is very noticeable. Dust was far less noticeable on the black iPhone 4/4S's silver earpiece.

But that black earpiece will probably hide more dirt/dust than anything.

The bright shiny silver earpiece on the 4/4S really shows dirt/crud in there, and the junk usually looks black. Mine doesnt have it because I keep on it and keep it clean, but my friends iPhones have so much junk in there.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Hmmm. Wow. So you say there is a 0.09652 mm gap on your phone between the screen and metal body? I really feel for you. I wish there was something we could all do to help, but I am really busy spending my days helping hurricane Sandy victims locate family members, food and help rebuild their homes. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I have got the same problem on my s3 but at the bottom of the phone. The gap is big enough to slide in some inkjet paper. The place just collects dust and to me is a design flaw. I don't know what it is but things like this really annoys me to the point that I tried to clean it out with a piece of tin foil until a bit broke off and got trapped behind the glass.

The phone should really be a continuous piece of material all the way round the phone. To me it is a fault with the phone but it is a manufacturing tolerance. If these phones were not made in China I would expect better craftsmanship, more like a watch and less like a cheap plastic toy. Maybe a speak more about Samsung here but if it was built better maybe I would be tempted to keep it for longer instead of adhering to this consumerist nonsense.

Look I would rather be out exploring and conserving the earth but given that 7 billion people have already spoilt that for me I am stuck complaining over trivial matters on my phone. It is the only space I have left which is new and undiscovered. Sad really but this is what has become of us.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Hmmm. Wow. So you say there is a 0.09652 mm gap on your phone between the screen and metal body? I really feel for you. I wish there was something we could all do to help, but I am really busy spending my days helping hurricane Sandy victims locate family members, food and help rebuild their homes. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

What are you doing wasting time on these forums then? Get back out there and help the victims!

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Sending it back may result in one with Dings &scuffs. Put a case on it and it will be fine.

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
I've noticed a similar issue with my black 5. I can "squish" my glass back down on my phone every time I take my case off. It makes an "eeek" sound when I do. It is all the way across the top. They claim that it would have to cause the phone an issue to be covered as "defective".

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Just checked my black one. I can insert a corner of a post it in the top right hand corner, just on the curve of the corner.

dk206

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
London
I Had this on my white 32ip5. JUST ON THE RIGHT CORNER which also happened to have light leakage!
Got it swapped and second one is fine. I advise you to get it swapped. If the gap is there it is almost certain it comes with light leakage just below the power button!!

studio¹³¹

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
How are you guys cleaning the gunk in the crack? I've gotten dust in there and it's too solid to push out w/ the corner of paper...

chumawumba

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
Ask the NSA
I was removing a case, and my fingernails slightly chipped, and the chipped flakes fell in that space, and it can never remove it. It is so frustrating!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.