Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Why you would buy an iPad mini and have very poor screen quality compared to the iPad 3 or 4. Myself and my wife compared both today using my iPad 3 and my wife said the iPad mini screen is “rubbish”.

I compared the iPad 3 to the 4 and cannot see twice the performance not even the Apple Store staff could show me in real life the extra speed.

I would recommend paying a little extra and buy the iPad 4 and don’t get hung up on the small amount of dollars extra you have to pay.

darkknight11

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
Why you would buy an iPad mini and have very poor screen quality compared to the iPad 3 or 4. Myself and my wife compared both today using my iPad 3 and my wife said the iPad mini screen is “rubbish”.

I compared the iPad 3 to the 4 and cannot see twice the performance not even the Apple Store staff could show me in real life the extra speed.

I would recommend paying a little extra and buy the iPad 4 and don’t get hung up on the small amount of dollars extra you have to pay.

same reason why some buy the MBA and not cMBP or rMBP...:rolleyes:

Dr99

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2011

Because some people like the size and don't give damn about the resolution.

Hauntedhallows

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
My wife has an iPad 2 and she has never cried about no retina, even After using my ipad 4 for an extended period.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Different people have different needs. What your wife calls rubbish may be just perfect for someone else.

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
iPad mini Is the future! It truly is a privelege to hold ..I need a Smart Cover though ,god damn clammy palms -_-

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
OP, why does it matter? I don't think it's about money, it's about size.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I went to the Apple store twice and couldn't buy it.

I can't use it for design research since the screen is too poor.

the ipad 4 is too heavy but the screen is perfect. 9.7 and retina

i think the ipad 5 will be lighter and thinner, and they might even make a smaller bezel because the ipad mini is using thumb rejection technology on the slim sides and that technology will mature

DFGR

Suspended
Nov 2, 2012
Different people have different needs, the iPad mini This is what I want to buy. I absolutely love it

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

And why recommend to buy the 4 instead of the 3 when you couldn't see any difference

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
Good God Almighty!

I wish the moderators would consolidate the 10,000 "I love the iPad Mini" and "I hate theiPad Mini" threads.

Do you really need to start the umpteenth thread to say you don't like it?

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
One mans trash is another mans treasure.

And why recommend to buy the 4 instead of the 3 when you couldn't see any difference
Because you cannot buy a 3:rolleyes:

----------

Why would you post the exact same thing as dozens of other people and have very poor forum quality?

Freedom to post what I like that's why:rolleyes:

----------

Totally agree! that's all I can say!

YES:rolleyes:

----------

I went to the Apple store twice and couldn't buy it.

I can't use it for design research since the screen is too poor.

the ipad 4 is too heavy but the screen is perfect. 9.7 and retina

i think the ipad 5 will be lighter and thinner, and they might even make a smaller bezel because the ipad mini is using thumb rejection technology on the slim sides and that technology will mature

You need to spend some time at the gym if you think the iPad 4 is heavy.;)

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I like mini not because its cheaper but because its lighter and smaller. When you can get an iPad 4 as light as the mini come back and let us know. Otherwise stop assuming you know why people buy the mini when you clearly don't understand.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011

So you'll never by another computer if its not retina? All other computer screens are rubbish in comparison too, aren't they?

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca

Was picking up my mini and asked about the 4. I've owed every iPad so far. The Apple employee that helped me told me I wouldn't notice any increase in speed unless I played a graphic intense game. I buy our business computers from them and they take great care of me. They actually told me for my personal needs to just keep my 3 unless I wanted the lighting connector.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Sorry OP, but that is a seriously flawed question and response.

I think people have made it clear that its about the size and weight. Why is that so hard to imagine?

Sure I'd love the display to be retina on the iPad Mini that is a no brainer. But for portability on the fly the iPad mini wins out every single time.

Now I am not foolish here, the iPad 4 has a great display and its fast, but the size and weight just doesn't make it as portable and user friendly for taking on the road.

I also think all these gripes about the iPad Mini's display being so horrible and some fools even say its unusable... That is just totally bunk. Clearly there is a difference in resolution and screen crispness, but the screen gets the job done.

I previously had the iPad 3 which of course they handed down to someone else in the agency. However, from my use I can't tell any real speed difference, likely because I don't use anything that requires any real CPU intensity. I'd recommend anyone on the fence about going out and upgrading to the iPad 4. Save your money.. wait on the next version which will likely be thinner and lighter..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.