Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I wonder if you were this vocal about iPhone 4S' battery problems, or antennagate, or the Mac's battery problems when they had it. Are you this vocal about Apple Maps?

I wonder, I wonder.

I love Apple Maps.

I just use Siri voice command and Apple Maps navigate me to it.

I ask Siri for the newest location to a store and it navigates me to it.

Never had a problem with Apple maps. Was more accurate than Navigon software I was using. Lot more convenient too.

Maybe I should be more vocal about my love for Apple Maps.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I love Apple Maps.

I just use Siri voice command and Apple Maps navigate me to it.

I ask Siri for the newest location to a store and it navigates me to it.

Never had a problem with Apple maps. Was more accurate than Navigon software I was using. Lot more convenient too.

Maybe I should be more vocal about my love for Apple Maps.

Of course.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I just wish I knew when Play would begin offering them (as in, the exact time EST, not "Nov 13").
This might not be the best way to go about it, but every 5 minutes, my Mac will check to see if the Nexus 4 page contains "Coming Soon" and, if not, it'll email and text me the link to buy one.

It might not work, but it's a decent fail-safe.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Still in denial that the Nexus 4 has bad battery life?

Keep the faith. ;)

This thermal throttling thing could be a deal breaker

Yep. Google fumbled the release big time. All this confusion is discouraging for early adopters.

Yup. Bad turn of events for the Nexus 4. This thermal throttling thing can be a huge problem.

Could be Google's "antennagate." Thermalgate.

Probably. But that would be sad to have to do that. I'm not purchasing a device that isn't supposed to work the way it's supposed to work.

now, instead of waiting for a potential 32gb, I'm waiting mainly to see if this thermal throttling issue, whatever it is, can be resolved.

Otherwise, Galaxy Nexus until Nexus 2013.

The way you make up your mind about products, I'm not surprised you've already made up your mind about people too.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
If these benchmarks are true (which they probably are), then Google has ruined themselves with this launch. Why not hold the pre-release testing units back until they had a more finalised version of the software ready to go? Now people who have been following the reviews aren't going to be feeling very confident about it and will probably go for whatever other device they were considering.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
There's a podcast up on Anandtech's site for the nexus devices. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6438/the-anandtech-podcast-episode-9

The heck. They do nothing but praise the Nexus 4 in the podcast. They barely mention the "throttling" issue and when they did, they downplayed it. "Not something I'd be worried about..." It's like mentioned for a few seconds.

:confused:

EDIT: They're also praising Jelly Bean like crazy. They're singing about it. Especially Google Now, which they say puts Siri to shame.

Last edited:

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
The heck. They do nothing but praise the Nexus 4 in the podcast. They barely mention the "throttling" issue and when they did, they downplayed it. "Not something I'd be worried about..." It's like mentioned for a few seconds.

Yeah, from what Brian was saying, this sounds like a great phone. I'm looking forward to their full review. My Galaxy S2 has been running quite well but I think it's time for me to get a Nexus device.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, from what Brian was saying, this sounds like a great phone. I'm looking forward to their full review. My Galaxy S2 has been running quite well but I think it's time for me to get a Nexus device.

Yeah, they spent like 20 minutes doing nothing but praising the device. I was waiting and waiting for them to get to the dreadful throttling issue, and it was mentioned for 5 seconds. Followed by Brian saying "Not something I'd worry about." Then they went on to praise Jelly Bean like crazy, how Google Now owns Siri.

----------

If these benchmarks are true (which they probably are), then Google has ruined themselves with this launch. Why not hold the pre-release testing units back until they had a more finalised version of the software ready to go? Now people who have been following the reviews aren't going to be feeling very confident about it and will probably go for whatever other device they were considering.

Ruined themselves? Drama, much?

Let's see, did Apple ruin themselves with antennagate? Or with the iPhone 4S' battery issues (which came, remember, post-release. In others, after "finalized" hardware/software) and which took multiple updates to fix? Or with their battery issues with OSX on Macs (I, myself, got the update to my Air for that fix back in September)?

There's probably a myriad of other launch issues from Apple, and other companies (the Galaxy Nexus had a crazy volume bug). Why are you shocked that the same isn't happening with the Nexus 4?

The difference here is Google is discovering this stuff with pre-released units. They have an opportunity to fix it before launch. If you go over to Matias' Google+ profile, believe me, people are letting them know. If they can sort out this mess, the Nexus 4 has a great chance to still be successful (as successful as Nexus smartphones can be...). If not, the Nexus 4 will tank, but I somehow don't see Google "ruining themselves."

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yeah, they spent like 20 minutes doing nothing but praising the device. I was waiting and waiting for them to get to the dreadful throttling issue, and it was mentioned for 5 seconds. Followed by Brian saying "Not something I'd worry about." Then they went on to praise Jelly Bean like crazy, how Google Now owns Siri.

----------

Let's see, did Apple ruin themselves with antennagate? Or with the iPhone 4S' battery issues (which came, remember, post-release. In others, after "finalized" hardware/software) and which took multiple updates to fix? Or with their battery issues with OSX on Macs (I, myself, got the update to my Air for that fix back in September)?

There's probably a myriad of other launch issues from Apple, and other companies (the Galaxy Nexus had a crazy volume bug). Why are you shocked that the same isn't happening with the Nexus 4?

The difference here is Google is discovering this stuff with pre-released units. They have an opportunity to fix it before launch. If you go over to Matias' Google+ profile, believe me, people are letting them know. If they can sort out this mess, the Nexus 4 has a great chance to still be successful (as successful as Nexus smartphones can be...). If not, the Nexus 4 will tank, but I somehow don't see Google being ruined.

Listen from 48 minutes until the Nexus 10 part. He talks about it throttling for a bit.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Listen from 48 minutes until the Nexus 10 part. He talks about it throttling for a bit.

Ah, I thought that was about the Nexus 10 only.

But it still sounds like it's being downplayed. He also explains how it's software related, which leads me to believe it's something Google can fix.

Or am I understanding it all wrong?

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
All I'm saying is it was stupid of them to send their review units of their new flagship device out in that state, they could have avoided such reviews by holding them back just a bit longer.

At least Google is discovering this stuff with pre-released units. They have an opportunity to fix it before launch. If you go over to Matias' Google+ profile, believe me, people are letting them know.
Apple wasn't trying to establish their brand as a major player in the market at that stage, that work had already been done- that's the stage Google is at, at the moment. They can't afford PR gaffes when they're competing against the likes of better known, well reviewed devices such as the Galaxy line and the iPhone.

And yes, Apple did stuff up badly with the iPhone 4, 4S and 5 and took the appropriate PR hit for not getting it right. I know plenty of people who held off from upgrading to each new iPhone line after reading about each one's issues. Of course, plenty of people upgraded regardless, such is Apple's power. The difference is Apple have been well established for a while in the mobile market whereas Google's Nexus line has struggled (not Android, the Nexus line). Google wants the Nexus line to become more prominent and more popular, having their flagship device receive comments about poor battery life etc isn't the way to begin that.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
All I'm saying is it was stupid of them to send their review units of their new flagship device out in that state, they could have avoided such reviews by holding them back just a bit longer.

Apple wasn't trying to establish their brand as a major player in the market at that stage, that work had already been done- that's the stage Google is at, at the moment. They can't afford PR gaffes when they're competing against the likes of better known, well reviewed devices such as the Galaxy line and the iPhone.

And yes, Apple did stuff up badly with the iPhone 4, 4S and 5 and took the appropriate PR hit for not getting it right. I know plenty of people who held off from upgrading to each new iPhone line after reading about each one's issues. Of course, plenty of people upgraded regardless, such is Apple's power. The difference is Apple have been well established for a while in the mobile market whereas Google's Nexus line has struggled (not Android, the Nexus line). Google wants the Nexus line to become more prominent and more popular, having their flagship device receive comments about poor battery life etc isn't the way to begin that.

100% agree, for once.

The only thing I'd add is, Google has an opportunity to fix this before actual release date. If they can, it'll be a good thing they discovered it pre-release, as opposed to post-release, as was the case with those iPhone problems.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Ah, I thought that was about the Nexus 10 only.

But it still sounds like it's being downplayed. He also explains how it's software related, which leads me to believe it's something Google can fix.

Or am I understanding it all wrong?

He indicated that he thought it was throttling a little too early. It took the CPU down to 1.2 from 1.5GHz so 20%. Not a huge issue, IMO.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
He indicated that he thought it was throttling a little too early. It took the CPU down to 1.2 from 1.5GHz so 20%. Not a huge issue, IMO.

Help me understand what throttling means.

So when the device gets hot, the CPU throttles down (in this case, from 1.5 to 1.2) to prevent more heating? A safety measure, so to speak? And as a result of lowering the CPU, those benchmarks perform worse. Right?

So is the big issue and mystery with the Nexus 4 why the device is getting hot in the first place?

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Help me understand what throttling means.

So when the device gets hot, the CPU throttles down (in this case, from 1.5 to 1.2) to prevent more heating? A safety measure, so to speak? And as a result of lowering the CPU, those benchmarks perform worse. Right?

So is the big issue and mystery with the Nexus 4 why the device is getting hot in the first place?

Correct. He seemed to indicate it was no worse than other high-end phones. In fact, he thought it started to throttle a little too early (when it was still relatively cool).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA

I don't quite agree. I do understand where you're coming from, but I don't see it quite that way.

By no account is Google making money off these, and by many accounts they're losing a far bit on each one. So... I'm not sure they're trying to sell as many as possible. I think they were aware of the issues in the review units and intentionally wanted what they're getting: generally favorable reviews, but with a few "issues" to make sure there's not an insane push to buy them right off the bat.

The battery life is fixable. The throttling is fixable. But those things, and the "ZOMG NO LTE!!!!1!!1BBQ" issue, will temper consumer demand initially. Developers will buy them anyway. Tech geeks will buy them. But there won't be a crazy rush.

Over time, reviews will be even more favorable, but the lack of LTE and the 16GB cap will keep sales down - which is fine, because Google's losing money on these.

Then, you'll see 32GB and 64GB provider versions (some/many with LTE) which aren't for sale on Play and which require a contract (because Google will charge the providers more for them), and people will buy them.

Google will stop losing money, people will like the phones, which will see a few software revs due to feedback from those who bought them initially, and everybody will be happy.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I don't quite agree. I do understand where you're coming from, but I don't see it quite that way.

By no account is Google making money off these, and by many accounts they're losing a far bit on each one. So... I'm not sure they're trying to sell as many as possible. I think they were aware of the issues in the review units and intentionally wanted what they're getting: generally favorable reviews, but with a few "issues" to make sure there's not an insane push to buy them right off the bat.

The battery life is fixable. The throttling is fixable. But those things, and the "ZOMG NO LTE!!!!1!!1BBQ" issue, will temper consumer demand initially. Developers will buy them anyway. Tech geeks will buy them. But there won't be a crazy rush.

Over time, reviews will be even more favorable, but the lack of LTE and the 16GB cap will keep sales down - which is fine, because Google's losing money on these.

Then, you'll see 32GB and 64GB provider versions (some/many with LTE) which aren't for sale on Play and which require a contract (because Google will charge the providers more for them), and people will buy them.

Google will stop losing money, people will like the phones, which will see a few software revs due to feedback from those who bought them initially, and everybody will be happy.

UmpOi.gif

+1 for you.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I think Google really needs to work on their retail business. Here in the Netherlands, essentially you can't buy it online, which means that instead of 350€ you'll have to pay 600€ in a store. No way I'm going to shell double the price for the same device.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
The Republic of Ireland isn't part of the UK so I can't get it from there. Getting it from handtec is 70euro more expensive which isn't too bad. Who knows how much it'll cost to buy it up front from the carriers.

lol - I know that - lived 10 years in Blanchardstown / Dublin 15 :p

I just assumed Google ships to Ireland too

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Just FYI the Engadget mobile podcast from a few days ago the senior editor Miriam(sp?) was signing the nexus 4's praises to to MAXX (yes razr HD MAXX lol). She was going on and on and on for over an hour about how it's the best phone ever made. Down played the battery and benchmark problems to the upcoming software update and really gives a strong opinion on how she feels about carriers. It's a good listen and really really really gives a positive view of the Nexus 4. In case you need it ;-)

http://m.engadget.com/2012/11/07/engadget-mobile-podcast-157-11-07-2012/?icid=m_eng_latest_art

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.