Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Again, just leave it off. Directly from Apple site

Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: −4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

I would hate to be the guy that has to test all of that

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Personally I think it's good that FedEx and UPS have this kind of policy requiring people who handle packages to go through metal detectors inbound and outbound from the workplace. Probably cuts down on theft very effectively.

As for serial number registration- sounds good until you realize there could be 200-400 people going through one detector on the way out of a shift. Stopping the line to check a phone SN would be a logistical problem to say the least.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Use a very hot heating pad that takes batteries and put a heavy blanket on it inside your car. should solve your problem.

notoriousbeast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Personally I think it's good that FedEx and UPS have this kind of policy requiring people who handle packages to go through metal detectors inbound and outbound from the workplace. Probably cuts down on theft very effectively.

As for serial number registration- sounds good until you realize there could be 200-400 people going through one detector on the way out of a shift. Stopping the line to check a phone SN would be a logistical problem to say the least.
this is pretty much why they don't allow phones

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Thanks guys. I wanna look into that neoprene sleeve thing and I think I'm just gonna turn it off when I go to work from no on so it's not on while its cold. I live in jersey so it's gonna keep getting colder. If anyone has anymore suggestions I would appreciate it btw it's an iPhone 5

A neoprene sleeve will not help at all for 7 hours. Only way to do it without using battery power from your car in to put it in a quality cooler with something warm. Low temps are not going to hurt your phone.

krixtian

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Puerto Rico
So many replies and a few maybe answers.
I google this because my iPhone acts extremely weird during cold weather. When I go back to my car after 8 hours, my phone shuts down like 3 times and it shows that the Battery is dead. After it gets warm I can use it, but I feel that is bad for the phone.
Please avoid asking what we do for a living.
I work in a prison and I'm not allowed to bring my phone in and I need my phone for emergencies since I live 45 mins away.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
As long as you stay within the temperature range for turned off phone you are fine. Heat it with your body before turning it on.

As several people mentioned it the summer heat that will destroy the phone even if turned off. Hot temperatures are very destructive to LI ion battery. Some have reported here, that their phone battery expanded and destroyed their phone when left in the car. For summer, would suggest a cooler with frozen ice pack in the trunk, and put the phone in plastic zip lock sandwich bag. Crack open the car windows a bit.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
OP, I'd just stick it in the middle of a folded towel and not worry about it. If it feels cold at the end of your shift, warm it up for a few minutes before turning it on.

I think it sucks that they assume you're guilty instead of innocent. Instead of looking for the worst in people look for the best.

With better working conditions, they would also get/keep higher quality employees.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Why leave it turned on? The inside of the car in daylight will be warmer than the outside temp. No problem.

I'd be worried about summer. The car will get broiling hot inside.....

I totally agree with "Givmeabrek" especially the last part, think about how you are going to keep it cool in the summer. I'm now retired, but when I was working I was allowed to carry my iPhone with me and I've done so since the iPhone 3GS. Since the work I did required me to be outside quite a bit in winter it meant that at times I used it in -0º F weather, and I never had a problem except the battery going down a bit faster on the colder days. A recharge during lunch took care of that.

I was more concerned about the effects of hot weather than cold. No electronics like hot weather, and there were many times when I was carrying it when the temp was above 100ºF but again, although I was concerned, the heat did not seem to bother the phone at all.

Remember that your car will be a bit warmer inside in winter, than the outside temp, and much hotter inside in summer. Leave it on the dash even while driving in summer, and you might regret having done that. The dash especially in a car that has a dark colored one can get a lot hotter than you think even while driving on a warm summer day with the A/C on. One reason why I don't use those sticky pads to hold my phone in place on the dash.

I think that all said and done, any smartphone can tolerate low or high temps much better than the owner. Temps that would be realistically harmful to the phone would be very bad for the owner.

Reactions: TITNTUFF

Stevessvt

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Does your car have an always on cigarette lighter? Leave it plugged in and it will stay warmer while it trickle charges.

EdwardSmith36

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2016
I think you got many more options to keep it warm in your car. Just wrap a piece of cloth or place it under your seat if possible. if not you can leave it at home as you are not allowed to use it in office hours.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Perhaps figuring out how to use a "HotHands" disposable warmer would work. They get hot and stay that way for hours.

TITNTUFF

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
West Louisiana
I keep an insulated lunch box in my vehicle. A ziplock with some ice in the summer and no ice in the winter. I put my phone in a ziplock also. Keeps the phone from getting too hot or cold. I warm it up in my pocket before powering up. It seems to help protect the battery and my job!

Reactions: HEK

BentTable123

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2015
Just get a TPU case that covers the headphone and lightning ports and put it in the armrest storage box, been doing that for years and never had a problem.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thanks guys. I wanna look into that neoprene sleeve thing and I think I'm just gonna turn it off when I go to work from no on so it's not on while its cold. I live in jersey so it's gonna keep getting colder. If anyone has anymore suggestions I would appreciate it btw it's an iPhone 5

No neoprene sleeve will keep it warm if sitting in your vehicle for 8+ hours. It would take an insulated cooler with a heat source. As long as it is not much colder than 32 you should be fine. I have had my phone is below zero weather but inside a pocket next to my body for heat. If left out in such cold temps the phone would not start but it would not harm it.

Take care when you phone gets super cold and you take it into a warmer place as it could sweat and set off you moisture sensors.

Latinking25

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2015
Again, just leave it off. Directly from Apple site

Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: −4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)
Its gonna be hard using my phone in the summer then because temps get over 113 on a daily basis out here. What can I do to keep my phone cooler in the summer months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.