Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Kealohilani,
Do you have a screen protector or anything on yours?

Yes, I have an xtremeguard screen protector on it. Funny thing is before I put on the Twig case the right top corner was peeling back a little. After I put the case on you can't see any spot where it was peeling back.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
They advise nothing on the back. Some people use a screen protector on the back... Do you have one?

Yes, I have an xtremeguard screen protector on it. Funny thing is before I put on the Twig case the right top corner was peeling back a little. After I put the case on you can't see any spot where it was peeling back.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
They advise nothing on the back. Some people use a screen protector on the back... Do you have one?

I have one but it is not installed right now. With how tight the case fits I don't know if I could have had one on and still been able to slide the case on.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Thank you. I have a crappy Rocketfish screen protector on the back now, but it seems thinner than the Power Support HD Anti-Glare that's on the front, so I guess I'll find out.

Unless Twigcase implores me otherwise... : )

It does seem like this type of protection does not require a back protector, it's just that I don't want to open it later and see the anodized aluminum revealing silver colour, as has happened to some batches of iPhone 5.

I have one but it is not installed right now. With how tight the case fits I don't know if I could have had one on and still been able to slide the case on.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Trying to put pics up now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 167

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
This is to try to show how far the side comes above the screen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 137

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
And just because pics never show the front of the phone with the case on

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 120

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
Gorgeous. I did the pre-order, but it was before I was clear that the actual cases (on sale) would still be another $40. So, now I'm pondering :)

broboore

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Got my Monster bamboo yesterday. Absolutely love the case. Yes, it was a little pricey and more than I usually spend on a case, but damn if the fit and finish isn't spectacular! Great job Twig!

mnpackerfan

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2007
I was going to order the Bunker case, but then decided to get "The One Tree". I live in Minnesota, so was wondering where exactly this tree is? It'd be fun if you have the GPS coordinates of it, I'd like to get a picture of it.

Also, any idea when this will be shipping? I pre-orderd Oct. 5th, and bought the Tree case on November 2nd, pretty much right when they became available. My credit card was charged then, and I was really hoping it would have been shipped to me on Monday. I haven't received any e-mails, and my status says "unfulfilled". Is it just that "The One Tree" case is that popular? Since I live so close I was hoping to receive it pretty quickly.

thorn73

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
I am starting to question this whole company. First constant delays with the case has to led to over a month of waiting and now no response for the last two days from them on a couple emails that I have sent. Ordered as soon as the plain bamboo was available on the site and it is still sitting there unfilled as well and with the lack of response I think my money would have been better spent elsewhere. Very frustrated and lack of communication is not helping.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
I was going to order the Bunker case, but then decided to get "The One Tree". I live in Minnesota, so was wondering where exactly this tree is? It'd be fun if you have the GPS coordinates of it, I'd like to get a picture of it.

Also, any idea when this will be shipping? I pre-orderd Oct. 5th, and bought the Tree case on November 2nd, pretty much right when they became available. My credit card was charged then, and I was really hoping it would have been shipped to me on Monday. I haven't received any e-mails, and my status says "unfulfilled". Is it just that "The One Tree" case is that popular? Since I live so close I was hoping to receive it pretty quickly.

The tree is in between Waseca and Owatonna, on the old road (there's now a bypass, so most won't see it). I'll have to GPS it next time I drive past! :)

Without knowing your preorder number, it's hard to say when things are going to ship. We had a lot (far more than we thought!) around then, and it only snowballed from then.

We are cranking them out as hard as we can, but we're not going to cut corners.

Thorn73 - Honestly, I get a ridiculous amount of emails every day. I'm going to miss some. I think I just found yours, in between a question answered in the FAQ and a nice Chinese lady who wants to sell me accessories...

I think yours will be going out today, or tomorrow.

EDIT: Also, don't use a back screen protector! I implore you. I had one guy put his case on and it took two people to get it off. Case and phone are fine. :)

Last edited:

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
Got my Monster bamboo yesterday. Absolutely love the case. Yes, it was a little pricey and more than I usually spend on a case, but damn if the fit and finish isn't spectacular! Great job Twig!

Thanks - I love Monsterhead :)

Attachments

• 4bamWallpaper.jpg
    4bamWallpaper.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 121

LiquidDexter

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
For those still interested, here is an album with my Grove iPhone 5 case. I think this is their best case yet, and for the first time you can use a screen protector with it. Pretty snazzy. If this thing ever breaks, I'm going twig though.

The rest are at this link.

http://imgur.com/a/QlNYy

Attachments

• IMG_2469.JPG
    IMG_2469.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 117
  • 5sCtM.jpg
    5sCtM.jpg
    660.1 KB · Views: 91
  • f34LH.jpg
    f34LH.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

To clarify, I understand the challenge of a small operation, being an independent developer myself.
I understand things can take time, and often take longer than expected.

I just probably misinterpreted the 'very soon' comments over the weeks to mean 'a few days' rather than 'a few weeks'.
Had I understood that, I would have probably invested in a temporary case meanwhile, and came back and check on this a few weeks later.
Instead, I have been checking in here twice a day to check when I will finally be able to cover my phone with this case...

Anyway, I understand from this reply that things don't look great for this week, and that we still don't have a date. I am sure you'll be successful with these beautiful cases, but this will have to be without me, how do we get a refund on the preordering ticket?

Well, I ended up ordering this case anyway, as this was too painful to start searching for a new case all over again, and I've received it this week.

This is quite a beautiful case. Packaging is nice. Putting it on is easy, the fit is very good. I don't know how easy it is to remove and put back on many times, I prefer not to test that before I have the need to do that.

The feel of the case is nice, much much nicer feel than plastic. The laser engraving is deeper than I expected, I wonder how durable the bamboo layer is gonna be for some of the designs. I don't see any sign that it would not be durable so far, just wondering...

Buttons: they feel pretty good. A bit more firm than some cases like the Apple bumper on the iPhone 4, but it's definitely better than a lot of plastic cases I have tried in the past.

Cutouts: I had no problem with the lightning connectors and headphones. Time will tell if all accessories fit but so far so good. The precision of those cutouts are as good as it gets, the mute button, headphone and lightning connector are all centered perfectly in their respective cutouts.

Bulk/weight: well, if like many people here, you have been using the phone naked while waiting for the case, you will definitely feel the difference in size and weight. If you have been using another case, then you may not find this case extremely bulky. It's not as low profile as a skin type case, it's not huge either. The bezel might also annoy you at first if you've been using the phone naked, but nothing different from any other case.
One thing to consider when adding a bit of bulk is when you're using the phone with one hand, your adding a few millimeters to the distance your thumb has to travel, which can be a problem for some people with the longer iPhone 5 screen.

Other: I haven't seen any problem with reception, and the phone vibration feels good through the case.

Conclusion: so far so good. I have been using a bumper with the iPhone 4/4S, so the added bulk of this kind of case is something I need to get used to. The case might be a little 'too nice': if you're getting a case because you're worried about scratching your phone, with this case you might feel like you're now worried about scratching the case.

Update: I forgot to say, it would be a nice addition if twig was providing wallpapers/lock screen backgrounds that correspond to the engraved design. I downloaded a random bamboo image for my lock screen, but rather has something that matches the design I selected

Last edited:

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Now.. I'm curious to know if anyone has the Spigen glas.tr screen protector, and whether there would be any issue using the Twigcase (bamboo), given the thickness of this glass protector.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
The Twigcase.com website answers that in their FAQ...

Can I use a screen protector with a Twig Case?

Twig Cases are machined to teeny tiny tolerances that ensure a perfect fit on your iPhone. Back protectors add varying amounts of unknown thickness, stress the case, the iPhone, and your patience.

Do not use a back protector with a Twig Case!

A front screen protector is usable if it fits inside and not underneath the bezel area. Inside bezel area is:

112.5mm T x 55.5mm W for our iPhone 4/4S case.

120.6mm T x 55.5mm W for our iPhone 5 case.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Update: I forgot to say, it would be a nice addition if twig was providing wallpapers/lock screen backgrounds that correspond to the engraved design. I downloaded a random bamboo image for my lock screen, but rather has something that matches the design I selected

What I intend to use with my plain bamboo case and white iPhone5 is a macro shot of the front of a Mahjong tile.

I have a bone/bamboo set from the 1930s which was hand-incised and coloured and I reckon they will make excellent lock-screen backgrounds. Green Dragon? East Wind?

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
Conclusion: so far so good. I have been using a bumper with the iPhone 4/4S, so the added bulk of this kind of case is something I need to get used to. The case might be a little 'too nice': if you're getting a case because you're worried about scratching your phone, with this case you might feel like you're now worried about scratching the case.

Good to hear. I laughed when you said it was 'too nice'. Just use it, and it will slowly just be 'nice' ;)

Also, we're a bit leery about doing the matching wallpaper thing as we've noticed that the knockoff artists out there love those for their 15 dollar bamboo ebay cases. :) Which one did you get?

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
It doesn't help when the screen protector maker doesn't give those exact specs in _their_ FAQ..

Have to yell at them! Maybe these pics help. They show that our case rides just along the edge of the screen on that little ridge. It's smaller than I can measure, especially today.

Get a protector that fits inside the bezel, and I won't mind. :p

Attachments

• IMG_2862.JPG
    IMG_2862.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2863.JPG
    IMG_2863.JPG
    880.2 KB · Views: 102

terminus123

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
did a whole bunch of research on cases comparing pros and cons (Sector 5, Griffon, Grove, etc.) and finally decided to get the Twig! order #1889:D

Though how fast do these cases start shipping?

dwa2011

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
Northwest Atlanta
Have to yell at them! Maybe these pics help. They show that our case rides just along the edge of the screen on that little ridge. It's smaller than I can measure, especially today.

Get a protector that fits inside the bezel, and I won't mind. :p

I have had this on my iPhone 4S and it worked flawlessly with my twig case!
(select screen only, case friendly)

http://www.ghost-armor.com/Apple/861.html

Just a thought!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.