Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
@Abs_p , I will be more direct answering the question . It would have definitely saved time for both of us :)
You said "I guess Indians really hate iOS..." . My answer to that is "people are not actually hating iOS but due to price constraint favoring Android/Nokia phones."

Btw, Vodafone in Mumbai gives very good service but in Bangalore , things are not the same. I choose Vodafone for my experience in Mumbai but I regret it. All of people I know using Vodafone in Bangalore face problem on regular basis :mad:

cytomatrix

macrumors member
May 21, 2009
It's not like everyone can afford these phones.

Yes, they have a billion people.
Yes, Apple is supply constraint right now. But some people just can't afford it or choose to buy it at this ridiculous price.

To give you an idea, I was in India for a wedding. One of the servants never saw an iphone before (mesmorized). He asked how much it was, I didn't want to tell him, but I did.

It equaled his yearly income. Why do you think Nokia phones are still popular there? It takes time, but it will be reach everyone.

Oh look, another white guy who thinks he knows everything about just because he visited India once, for a wedding. Here is a little hint. He was a servant. Talk to someone who work in I.T or medical field. Last time I visited India, all I could see was iPhones and iPads.

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
Apple just likes to have the headline of being "sold out"....here's 100 phones, all bought, sold out, Yes! :eek:
new products being unavailable by weeks at a time

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
largest population on the planet but what % of that population can actually afford an iphone?

There are 27 million smart phone users in India growing rapidly. The problem with Apple is that there is no dedicated iTunes store for India. So content is limited especially when India is so wealthy in much of its own music, movies and literature.

Apple can ignore India for now, but risks getting shut out down the road when Samsung is already dominating.

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
There are 27 million smart phone users in India growing rapidly. The problem with Apple is that there is no dedicated iTunes store for India. So content is limited especially when India is so wealthy in much of its own music, movies and literature.

Apple can ignore India for now, but risks getting shut out down the road when Samsung is already dominating.

Yeah , If Apple takes India seriously , content from 25 language will be digitally available. Win-win situation for artists as well as for Apple

kdarling

macrumors P6
There are over 1.2 billion people in India, but Apple is planning on sending only handsets 200,000 for the entire year? I guess Indians really hate iOS...

More likely the price of the phone is a major factor.

Smartphones in general don't sell that well yet.

Total India smartphone sales were 2.7 million units during 1Q12. Of those, Samsung sold 40%, Nokia 26%, RIM 12%, Apple maybe 2%.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
@Abs_p , I will be more direct answering the question . It would have definitely saved time for both of us :)
You said "I guess Indians really hate iOS..." . My answer to that is "people are not actually hating iOS but due to price constraint favoring Android/Nokia phones."

Btw, Vodafone in Mumbai gives very good service but in Bangalore , things are not the same. I choose Vodafone for my experience in Mumbai but I regret it. All of people I know using Vodafone in Bangalore face problem on regular basis :mad:

I didnt say indians really hate iOS :p

^_^

----------

I didnt say indians really hate iOS :p

^_^

Umm. He just said it's $70 a month for line rental (the calls and data service charge recurring monthly)

If he is me then i did say its around 70 dollars but that was for usa :)
its basically 4 times cheaper then that in india..
You can see my monthly expense breakdown in my previous post.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
More likely the price of the phone is a major factor.

Smartphones in general don't sell that well yet.

Total India smartphone sales were 2.7 million units during 1Q12. Of those, Samsung sold 40%, Nokia 26%, RIM 12%, Apple maybe 2%.

Take a look at Galaxy S3 sales in India, they are doing well.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Woah, that's a short supply. Are they hoping everybody ordered online, or are they just that low in stock?

It's just that the iPhone doesn't sell that well in India.

The first year it was available, it only sold around 50,000 units.

Nowadays Apple sells about 50,000 per quarter to India, so 200,000 for the year is a very valid estimate.

Yes, that's a tiny number considering there's almost a billion Indian cell phone users.

hakuna-matata

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2011
Take a look at Galaxy S3 sales in India, they are doing well.

The reason is not that many people can't afford(though it's an imp factor). Main point is many choose not to.And the logic says : price.

India: post iPhone 5 prices of some phones:

iPhone 4 ( 8 gb only ) - 488$
iPhone 4s (16 gb only)- 708$
iPhone 5 (16 gb) - 837$
iPhone 5 (32 gb) - 965$

Samsung Galaxy S3 - 588$
Sam. Galaxy Note II -635$
Htc One X (16 gb ) - 570$

All phones prices come down nearly after 3-4 months of launch in India, but iphone prices remain same through out the whole year.

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
Well, at least they started selling the i5 earlier in india. I remember when the ip4 was released, it took more than 6 months for Apple to start selling them officially in india. I knew folks who paid 2500$+ on the black market to get one :eek:

Lifequest

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
so... cell and data service is free in India then?

...ignorance

No, but it will be much cheaper than:
Total $1640USD (assuming $60/month +$200).
with no other option.

US customers actually pay more for their iPhones than both India and Australia.

It's FREE in Australia with a $60 contract.
or $799 ($831USD) unlocked- no contract.
Which is comparable to India's $836USD pricing. Thus indicating that India's pricing is more closely related to FREE+$60 contract (similar to Australia).

US customers are paying a $200 premium.

Good Karma

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
London UK
@Abs_p

All iPhone (release in India) so far are sold at price more than 700 $(base model price). There is lot of fluctuation in USD-INR exchange rate last three years. Thats why I came to magic figure of $700. I hope this makes it clear Also $836 is more than $700. :D

----------

just to add to it. These data plans are not in LTE or 3G technology offered in developed countries :mad:

is 3g and 4g/LTE available in India and what are their monthy charges in USD please ?

SWPROX

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Vancouver,Canada
Oh look, another white guy who thinks he knows everything about just because he visited India once, for a wedding. Here is a little hint. He was a servant. Talk to someone who work in I.T or medical field. Last time I visited India, all I could see was iPhones and iPads.

Really bro-last time all you saw was only iPhones and iPads ! wow ! Am from New Delhi-so am Indian,don't go by that Canada moniker,I work in Canada-and to be honest,70% of the population survives below poverty line,AND what you talking about is the elite 1%,go check your facts-the per captia GDP of india is 1k$. And if you say it's cheap,so adjusting it to PPP it goes to just 3,000$ and you,if you are an Indian,you very well know the disparity which exists there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.