Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wobegong

Original poster
May 29, 2012
:rolleyes:
Ok so I've been playng around with several browsers on the G5 and to be honest I wasn't really happy with any of them so I've made a list below (just my take, sure others will disagree but thats cool it's a debate ;) ).

TenFourFox
Actually the 'best of the rest' - renders all pages accurately, all sites I visited worked and supports a lot of addons (for now...). Problem is I found it, well, not exactly 'slow' but more....well not 'snappy', true i added a couple of addons but for me thats what Firefox is all about (I use FF on my Intel MBP), take away the addons and it's just another browser.... This was the browser I kept going back to after giving others here a spin, until I settled on my current favourite..

Leopard Webkit
As above, worked on all sites but odd builds would be glitchy, sometimes a build would be rock solid then after an update it would occasionally crash and need to be restarted etc. Also it was slow, slower than TFF which is a shame as I really liked the idea of Safari (albeit an old version) using a thoroughly up to date engine.

Seamonkey
S-L-O-W, sorry I know this is popular with many but I found it slow as molasses giving a lumbering feel to the whole browsing experience, pages were noticeably slow to render compared with others.

iCab
Up to date in as much as it is still being worked on (sporadically) but some (albeit very few) sites would not work correctly with it (thinking calendar pop ups on date fields in Expedia if memory serves me right).

Omniweb
OK so this hasn't been really updated in a while (last one was apparently just to get past OSX ML appl. signing) and I was not expecting much from it but now I've got it set up, imported bookmarks etc I really really really like this browser. It is certainly the snappiest of any I have tried, renders all pages perfectly and quickly. I have loaded this on my MBP now and honestly there is no difference, it's as quick to load, render and operate on my i7 as my G5. In short (and quite surprisingly because I wasn't expecting this) I really like this browser, also has some neat features not found elsewhere, may not be bang up to date engine wise etc. but who cares if it's the snappiest and most stable which is after all what i want.

I havn't listed Sunrise, Shiira etc as wanted to stick to 'up to date' browsers that are still being worked on/supported without having to dig up old versions when they used to support PPC, I would say give Omni a go, it's been quite a revelation for me.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
The problem is, most websites are not exactly optimized for any kind of processor, they display their content from a dozen different domain CDNs, they are probably the ultimate example of "software" bloat.

For me, TenFourFox 17 is the best, I have Adblock Plus blocking all ads, I've uninstalled Flash, and use NoScript to block any scripts by default.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm using Aurorafox. I vascilate between T4Fx and Aurorafox, but consistently Aurorafox is a version ahead of T4Fx.

You can also use userstyles as well for Flash blocking. For instance, I have a userstyle for Facebook that as part of it's style removes FB ads. AdBlock is thus unnecessary on FB.

You'll need to use the Stylish addon and you can find userstyles here.

Greasemonkey does something similar to Stylish, but whereas Stylish modifys page CSS, Greasemonkey's focus is on Javascript.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
I used Camino up until one of SeaMonkeys later releases. They are about the same in speed given that they both have flash disabled but SeaMonkey get higher score in acid3 and much higher score in html5test.

wobegong

Original poster
May 29, 2012
I don't know whats wrong with your machines, I'm happily tapping along on my G5 with just Safari with everything enabled.

I won't use a browser that is no longer being supported with security patches, not if I'm doing online banking and the like on it.

----------

You forgot Camino. I'd recommend the CPU optimised versions.

No I actually have a soft spot for this and used it all through my PowerBook/MDD days way back when but now it's slow in my opinion and also does not render all pages correctly - Though rare it gets annoying when you come across a page (eg. Expedia/British Airways booking) and you then have to close the browser and open an alternative to go any further which is what I started to find on later (post v2) Camino builds - It also didn't work with my company software package (J2E based solution) which all other popular browsers had no issue with. Shame, because the Keychain integration and mac sympathetic look and feel had me sticking with it for a long time.

My perception of speed may be tainted also as I use my MBP (i7) at work, so anything which appears slower at home on the PM G5 annoys me and browsers in particular seem to suffer from showing up the age of a G5 - I guess I'm looking for a browser that is AS snappy on the PM as on my MBP, could have been impossible but pretty happy now that I've found one.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Camino works for everything I throw at it, it's still current and being actively updated. It also runs on the Mozilla build so you get Mozilla compatibility for most sites.

I don't think there's a better PPC browser than Camino.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
I would have to say Roccat.. this is a neat browser and Nathan, the developer is strong supporter of PowerPC and has determined to keep the app alive for us.

QUOTE=orestes1984;16262392]Camino works for everything I throw at it, it's still current and being actively updated. It also runs on the Mozilla build so you get Mozilla compatibility for most sites.

I don't think there's a better PPC browser than Camino.[/QUOTE]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.