Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman312

macrumors 6502
-Is there any fee to cancel the plan?
-How long does shipping take?
-Do they pro-rate the money you spent on the first month if you cancel right away?
-I need the iPhone 5 to use on T-Mobile US, is there an advantage to waiting for the AT&T model instead of going for the Verizon one?

Thanks

I will answer your questions to the best of my ability....

I think it said ship by 11/16/12

- Both reps I chatted to said I didn't have to pay anything- I could cancel the plan once I received the phone. I will double check today before I order it.

- THe verizon model is world band so it will work in multi countries on 4G whereas the AT&T model won't

----------

Hi, I was looking for an iphone 5 at best buy but they say that you cant get an iphone without a contract and that the device comes locked!!!!
any comment?

Thats weird because the rep I spoke to said that you could buy them without a contract but he couldn't guarantee that it would be in stock and the best buy store would allow me to. I will chat with them again and see what happens and post the results here. I also chatted with 2 verizon reps who said it was possible to buy from their online store and remove the plan later.... (no charge)

nesine

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I didn't get that far because I didn't have a social to put in :p

i need someone who ordered an iphone by this way , somebody should satisfy us about how international credit card owners could order devices from verizon's website.

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
I didn't get that far because I didn't have a social to put in :p

Random SSN numbers:
http://es.fakenamegenerator.com/social-security-number.php

----------

If you dont buy the iphone a full price I guess you need to pay a fee when you request the cancellation of your plan, right?

I will answer your questions to the best of my ability....

I think it said ship by 11/16/12

- Both reps I chatted to said I didn't have to pay anything- I could cancel the plan once I received the phone. I will double check today before I order it.

- THe verizon model is world band so it will work in multi countries on 4G whereas the AT&T model won't

----------

Thats weird because the rep I spoke to said that you could buy them without a contract but he couldn't guarantee that it would be in stock and the best buy store would allow me to. I will chat with them again and see what happens and post the results here. I also chatted with 2 verizon reps who said it was possible to buy from their online store and remove the plan later.... (no charge)

macman312

macrumors 6502
Now I am 100% sure but this website wouldn't let me edit the post but here is part of the chat transcript that is relevant to this

Verizon Rep: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
Me: Hi I want to purchase a iPhone 5 without a plan or anything. Just the device on its own
Verizon Rep: I'd be happy to assist you.
Verizon Rep: ‪You can order the phone at full price on the wesite.‬
Me: Yes I understand that but you can't order it without a plan is that correct?
Verizon Rep: ‪You will need to choose a plan when ordering online but cancel it when you reeive the phone.‬
Me: and is there a fee to cancel it?
Verizon Rep: ‪No.‬

I didn't ask about international credit cards because I wasn't sure what the problem was but.....

https://sales.liveperson.net/hc/441...ic/iconic/screens/TransactionTypeSelection.do'

thats the link you can ask yourself

dthicks20

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Aussie Iphone 4S Works in USA both 3G and 4G

AT&T is GSM model. Verizon is CDMA model. There are 3 main models as follows:

AT&T model A1428 - (GSM model) - Band 4 (AWS) and Band 17 (700b MHz) will work on T-mobile as well. 3G now and LTE from next spring/Summer. Works in Canada Rogers/Bell/Telus.
Verizon - Model A1429 -(CDMA model) Bands (Frequencies) 1 (2100 MHz), 3 (1800 MHz), 5 (850 MHz), 13 (700c MHz), 25 (1900 MHz). works in US/Japan.
Model A1429 - (GSM model), Bands (Frequencies): 1 (2100 MHz), 3 (1800 MHz), 5 (850 MHz). Works in Germany, UK, Australia, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Japan, Hong Kong.

I have an Iphone 4S that I bought in Australia at the Apple store unlocked and have no problem using it in the USA with 3G and 4G service using my AT&T Sim card.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Just so you know, a friend of mine was able to purchase a device only iPhone from the Apple store in Columbus. It's an AT&T version and came unlocked out of the box.

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
Coud you get the phone online?
I tried but it never let me choose a full price phone.

Thanks

Max

Now I am 100% sure but this website wouldn't let me edit the post but here is part of the chat transcript that is relevant to this

Verizon Rep: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
Me: Hi I want to purchase a iPhone 5 without a plan or anything. Just the device on its own
Me: Yes I understand that but you can't order it without a plan is that correct?
Verizon Rep: ‪You will need to choose a plan when ordering online but cancel it when you reeive the phone.‬

I didn't ask about international credit cards because I wasn't sure what the problem was but.....

https://sales.liveperson.net/hc/441...ic/iconic/screens/TransactionTypeSelection.do'

thats the link you can ask yourself

Cebuano1976

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Verrado, Buckeye, Arizona

This is the best deal ever. 16 GB iPhone 5 for only $199+taxes, UNLOCKED!

macman312

macrumors 6502
Coud you get the phone online?
I tried but it never let me choose a full price phone.

Thanks

Max

Hi Max5peru

Go to https://preorder.verizonwireless.com/iconic

select new customer (next)
enter your zip code (next)
select order device with wireless service (next)
select individual customer
then at the top of the page where it says '2 year contract' change that from the drop down menu to month-month
then select the size/colour you want (next)
then select a plan- any plan because you can cancel it at no charge once you receive the phone (next)

then it will give you the option of buying a case/screen protector/ car charger

then you need to enter your address and you will also need your social number and some sort of other ID number as well

Hope that helped

If you get this soon then go to the pre order website and click "chat now" and get someone to help you out- they are actually helpful

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
thanks for your help. ill order this weekend because i need a SSN first (i'm not american)
the shipping stimate is november 16, how long it will take to get the phone? my mother will be in GA until november 24th.... do u think that she will get it on time?

Max

Hi Max5peru

then at the top of the page where it says '2 year contract' change that from the drop down menu to month-month
then select a plan- any plan because you can cancel it at no charge once you receive the phone (next)

then you need to enter your address and you will also need your social number and some sort of other ID number as well

Hope that helped

If you get this soon then go to the pre order website and click "chat now" and get someone to help you out- they are actually helpful

matiasrmn

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Hi Max5peru

Hope that helped

If I follow the steps, do I get an unlocked phone or not ?

matiasrmn

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
All Verizon iPhone 5 are unlocked.

I just finished chatting with a verizon sales person, he told me that the phone is factory locked but it will become unlocked after I activate it. Below is the conversation I had moments ago.

Heather: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
You: Hi, I am about to buy an iPhone 5 and I would like to know if you can answer this question....
Heather: I'd be happy to assist you.
You: I usually travel to south america, specifically Argentina, my mobile carrier in that country is Movistar
Heather: Ok..
You: So I would like to know if the iPhone 5 you sell can be used with another carrier as well as verizon wireless ?
Heather: Yes you can do so only when the phone is unlocked.
You: Do you sell it unlocked ? I ask you this because my contract with at&t has finished, the thing is that all at&t phones are factory locked, the iPhone 5 you sell is factory locked as well ?
Heather: The phones currently dont come unlocked. They will need to be activated to become unlocked.
You: This activation should be done with a verizon sim card?
Heather: Yes that is correct.
You: So after I do that, I will be able to use it with a sim card of another carrier, even here in the US or in some other country ?
Heather: Yes that is correct.
You: Ok, in case this unlock is not possible to be achieved when the phone is activated, can I return it based on this conversation we just had ?
Heather: Yes correct. If you are unhappy with the phone you can return it.
You: My issue is that I need to buy a contract to use in the US, but my phone must work here and abroad with any carrier, do you know the steps to unlock the phone while activating it ?
Heather: All you would have to do is dial *228 from the phone. There is an option to buy the phone at full retail so that you wont have a contract. It would be month to month. With it being month to month you can cancel the plan at any time with no termination fees.
You: and after doing so the iPhone 5 will be permanently unlocked ?
Heather: The phone will still come locked. But you can activate it once you get it and cancel the plan.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Full Price AT&T

Purchased a non contract phone yesterday at the Clearndon VA -16 black, AT&T and it was unlocked. Did a restore, got the unlocked message.

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
Have you tried? Sounds logic to be unlocked after the activation so they can bill you for the plan that you are paying for ($40 for the activation plus 40 for the cheapest plan)
Can someone tell us the final amount of the purchase thru this process? For the 32G I estimate 740 plus 80. But I haven't finished the process because still looking for a SSN. Oh and how about international credit cards? Mines from PERU :(

Yes they are, you don't need to activate them, that rep has no idea what they're talking about

----------

Are you sure? This iPhone 5 is stressing me out. When is the iphone 5 supposed to be launched as factory unlocked at apple stores?i guess that there will be a lot of people waiting for that day!
Yes they are, you don't need to activate them, that rep has no idea what they're talking about

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I'm using a full price AT&T iPhone 5 that is 100% unquestionably unlocked. How do I know? I'm on T-Mobile right now

Salvaradoorland

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
I don't get it.

Ok! So i've read most of the thread. I live in Peru, we have a GSM network here, but i understand that the best thing to do is to buy the Verizon phone.

So my cousin is going to Austin and then to Chicago and I want her to bring me back a Black Slate, 32 GB unlocked iPhone 5. But I'm not yet sure what I need to tell her to do. Does she go to an Apple Store? Will they sell her the iPhone? What does she have to say in order to get the unlocked full price version (749$ for the 32 GB).

Finally, what i don't understand, does apple sell the unlocked iPhone 5 or not? I'm confused.

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Have you tried? Sounds logic to be unlocked after the activation so they can bill you for the plan that you are paying for ($40 for the activation plus 40 for the cheapest plan)
Can someone tell us the final amount of the purchase thru this process? For the 32G I estimate 740 plus 80. But I haven't finished the process because still looking for a SSN. Oh and how about international credit cards? Mines from PERU :(

----------

Are you sure? This iPhone 5 is stressing me out. When is the iphone 5 supposed to be launched as factory unlocked at apple stores?i guess that there will be a lot of people waiting for that day!

Positive had a friend buy 5 Verizon models and sell them on eBay as unlocked, he got all positive feedback and they were all shipped around the world

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have a question, though, what is the return policy with verizon (how many days) to return the device? I ask this because I need to use the phone on T-Mobile USA and I hear that the AT&T model is a better choice due to the possibility of LTE coverage (but I can't get my hands on one right now).

----

Alright you guys, I just placed my order using the step-by-step Verizon method listed a page or two back. I will update you with how things turn out.

I signed up for a new service (new phone number) month to month for $40 and with activation fee of $40. My total with taxes for a 16gb black ip5 is $707.68. I'm American so had no issues with delivery or social security number. The ”ship by” date says 11/16/12.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.