Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

in2tech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
Let me start off by saying I am not a big cell phone person and my entire large family and extended family all have an Apple devices, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, MacBook Air's, etc...
So I am planning on testing if I can just use the iPad M for communicating with the family members through FREE iMessage and Message in the Apple eco system. My only question if can I text the few none family members not on a Apple device easily? And is it Free or would use the data plan. This might only happen a few text a month to non Apple users. If this works no cell phone contract and a significant savings with a $20.00 monthly plan on Verizon!

Have you thought about doing this or trying it?

Remember I said I am not a big cell phone person at all and only use it when I absolutely have too when out and about! And that's no very often :)

Last edited:

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I got a galaxy note 2 for this reason. I don't talk lots but still need a phone and can't live like a hermit, so this was the next best thing. Still kept my ipad though, nothing could replace that.

in2tech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2012
And for the few times needed how much bandwidth would FaceTime use?

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I have unlimited data on my ipad and I want to do this with the mini. Not sure how convenient : feasible this is but ill let you know once the mini LTE comes out :)

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Get a data plan, get MobileVOIP from AppStore, charge an account with credit with a VOIP service and done.

Still not free calls sms, but prices are VERY low on some of the VOIP services.

I use actionvoip (VERY CHEAP!)

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Let me start off by saying I am not a big cell phone person and my entire large family and extended family all have an Apple devices, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, MacBook Air's, etc...
So I am planning on testing if I can just use the iPad M for communicating with the family members through FREE iMessage and Message in the Apple ego system. My only question if can I text the few none family members not on a Apple device easily? And is it Free or would use the data plan. This might only happen a few text a month to non Apple users. If this works no cell phone contract and a significant savings with a $20.00 monthly plan on Verizon!

Remember I said I am not a big cell phone person at all and only use it when I absolutely have too when out and about! And that's no very often :)

Never tried Messages because I use TextNow, an app which allows texting to any device (including your laptop or desktop computer - you just go to texnow.com and sign into your account)

As a test, just sent a text from my iPod touch 5G to my TracFone. Arrived immediately. TextNow also allows you to send photos.

My family doesn't use smart phones; iPods or iPads and prepaid cell phones. Works great for us and saves a ton of $$$$.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I've tried it. It's not as easy as it seems. Plenty of times I found data connection too weak to use when cell service was strong.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
So I am planning on testing if I can just use the iPad M for communicating with the family members through FREE iMessage and Message in the Apple ego system. My only question if can I text the few none family members not on a Apple device easily? And is it Free or would use the data plan. This might only happen a few text a month to non Apple users. If this works no cell phone contract and a significant savings with a $20.00 monthly plan on Verizon!

I had the same thought, but I like the idea of being able to call 911 or the odd business.

I don't know if you meant "EGO" or "ECO" system. I do like your use of "EGO" though... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.