Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Hi,

Black friday in UK, does Apple takes off the VAT and If I come with educational discount, will they give me that? I mean all VAT off and then 8% or how much is it educational pricing off?

Thanks

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I'm not sure about education pricing, but last year when I bought my Air, the Black Friday discount equalled the discount I can get through my work at any time (8%), but the two couldn't be combined. I'd be surprised if you could get a really good deal, but it's definitely worth waiting a couple of weeks to find out.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
I'm not sure about education pricing, but last year when I bought my Air, the Black Friday discount equalled the discount I can get through my work at any time (8%), but the two couldn't be combined. I'd be surprised if you could get a really good deal, but it's definitely worth waiting a couple of weeks to find out.

But I need to know now, otherwise I'm upgrading my current MBP you know. ;)

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
I was looking at this last year and found that the Black Friday sale in the UK was a better price than the Educational Discount.

On the sale day both the normal and education store display the same price, the Black Friday Price, in the UK anyway

Hope that helps

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
You can't combine the two. Also, well worth remembering if you buy using the educational store online (or ring the 0800 048 0408), you will get 3 year extended warranty. Which is worth more than whatever Black Friday gives you in my opionion.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
You can't combine the two. Also, well worth remembering if you buy using the educational store online (or ring the 0800 048 0408), you will get 3 year extended warranty. Which is worth more than whatever Black Friday gives you in my opionion.

I'm in college currently, so I guess it counts?

Poncho

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Holland
In 2008 in the UK I bought a machine on Black Friday through work and when I asked if I would be able to combine the discounts the guy said yes. So I did. And I use that machine to this day.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
I've never bought anything on Black Friday. I'm in the UK too, so when 23rd November comes around will it merely show up on the standard Apple Store website with lower prices?

Also, do black friday discounts work in brick and mortar Apple Stores? Or just online?

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Not all products. Last year, Mac mini, for instance, was not discounted. But yes. Even on the apple store app, reduced prices will show up.

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008

Do you know if the military/federal discount gets you the 3 year warranty as well? I honestly didn't even know the education discount did that. Cool stuff though!

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Do you know if the military/federal discount gets you the 3 year warranty as well? I honestly didn't even know the education discount did that. Cool stuff though!
No it doesn't, the general education discount doesn't either. This 3 year warranty is only given to UK HE students (i.e. HND or undergrad/postgrad Degree level) and teachers as part of the supply agreement they signed.

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
No it doesn't, the general education discount doesn't either. This 3 year warranty is only given to UK HE students (i.e. HND or undergrad/postgrad Degree level) and teachers as part of the supply agreement they signed.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
I was looking at this last year and found that the Black Friday sale in the UK was a better price than the Educational Discount.

On the sale day both the normal and education store display the same price, the Black Friday Price, in the UK anyway

Hope that helps

The HE education discount in the UK is ~15%, plus a free 3 year warranty (online). I don't remember a Black Friday discount that large?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.