Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Trolls? They don't deal with trolls in any way. Yes, they piss off paying customers regularly with their release schedules and "baited" stepping stone upgrades. They do offer returns for very new purchases to stave off a bit of it, but they've made it clear (not just with actions, but with direct statements as well) that they essentially do their own thing and aren't worried about acceptance.

Also, they do know my preference for this round. I bought the Kindle Fire HD, so they know by sales numbers what I'm after. That said, it shouldn't be interpreted as statements from an Apple nay-sayer of any sort. We have 4 iPads, 4 iPhones, 1 MBA, 1 MBP, 3 ATVs, etc. I just wanted more out of the Mini and voted with my dollars (or quid if you prefer).

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Ipad mini retina will be released next spring for $399 replacing ipad 2. Regular mini will still be available at $329.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I don't buy it at all, for several reasons:

1) it would piss off a lot of new mini owners

2) it would be in the middle of a refresh cycle (the iPad is on a yearly refresh, the mini is an iPad). The iPad 4 was an anomaly and reset the yearly refresh to Autumn, when the iPhone and iPod Touch are released.

3) a retina resolution of 2048x1536 in the mini would require an update to the iPad 4, for one reason, a resolution of 2048x1536 in the mini would be an iPad 4 in a smaller form factor - it would essentially kill off a lot of sales of the iPad 4 (a more expensive device, with more profit).

It will get an improved resolution, but it'll get one in a year (at the soonest) when the iPad 5 is released - they will not release an updated iPad 4 in the the Spring and an updated mini at that time with that screen resolution would render it obsolete, or expensive for what you get. They won't do that.

Next Autumn will be very exciting. The Spring will be exciting, but I think we'll see other Apple innovations, none of which will be the iPad.

Yeah because they didn't just do that recently to the iPad 3? They had no qualms angering iPad 3 owners.

They have a even bigger reason to upgrade the mini since it's running 2011 hardware.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
That's it!! Going close to 30 days and returning this mini. This device with retina would make me very happy.

Fyrrwin

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
If anyone had bothered to actually read the original article linked from mashable they would've seen that it said that it's going into production for a launch fall 13, not spring.

aam07

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Does this really surprise anyone??

I'm one of those pissed off ex ipad 3 owners that felt slighted by Apple when they released a new version just 7 months later.

This makes me want to cancel my LTE iPad Mini order and wait until next year!

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I'll buy it.

Basic rule - never buy the first generation of an Apple product - wait until at least the next cycle.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011

2) it would be in the middle of a refresh cycle (the iPad is on a yearly refresh, the mini is an iPad). The iPad 4 was an anomaly and reset the yearly refresh to Autumn, when the iPhone and iPod Touch are released.

3) a retina resolution of 2048x1536 in the mini would require an update to the iPad 4, for one reason, a resolution of 2048x1536 in the mini would be an iPad 4 in a smaller form factor - it would essentially kill off a lot of sales of the iPad 4 (a more expensive device, with more profit).

It will get an improved resolution, but it'll get one in a year (at the soonest) when the iPad 5 is released - they will not release an updated iPad 4 in the the Spring and an updated mini at that time with that screen resolution would render it obsolete, or expensive for what you get. They won't do that.

Next Autumn will be very exciting. The Spring will be exciting, but I think we'll see other Apple innovations, none of which will be the iPad.

1) Like they just did by replacing the iPad 3 with the 4.
2) See #1
3) An iPad sold is an iPad sold

In the end, nobody knows what Apple has planned. I certainly wasn't expecting the iPad 4 so soon.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
Will Apple be able to make the battery as small as the one in the mini now? It is super thin. Won't a retina mini be heavier and thicker? :confused:

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec

If no retina truly doesn't bother you, then you won't be pissed. If it does, you shouldn't be purchasing now unless you're perfectly fine with selling it to upgrade as early as next Spring.

No sympathy *if* it happens (I'd be surprised myself). Every buyer on this forum knew what they were getting with a gen 1 mini, and that there were no assurances of a full year's wait anymore after the iPad 3's replacement.

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
If anyone had bothered to actually read the original article linked from mashable they would've seen that it said that it's going into production for a launch fall 13, not spring.
Haha ikr! I posted that yesterday morning before anyone! Although my thread title was a little misleading too the mini 2 won't be out till oct/November .

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Please PLEASE try looking through at least the first page of the forum before posting stuff like this!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1485305/

Same report but with the crucial additional bit of information that production isn't scheduled to ramp up until second half 2013.

And I'll say the same thing here that I said there, this isn't just a case of producing a different, less power hungry screen. Apple also need to deliver the equivalent power of at least the A5X (ideally the A6X) in an incredibly efficient SoC, something that's unlikely to happen by... well, by January actually if you want them to launch in the spring as production needs to ramp up well in advance of the launch date.

This is a guess but hopefully it's based on solid reasoning: Apple will effectively need the A7 to produce a retina iPad mini without compromising weight and size. Such a SoC would be likely to run on a 20nm process (most likely from TSMC) and feature Power VR Series 6 gpu's. The CPU is much harder to predict as Apple have now left, at least in part, the standard ARM roadmap but let's just assume it's the next gen on from the current A6, the equivalent of an A15 part but without some of the potential power issues that design may face.

Looking at the iPad 3 and 4 the big roadblock to delivering a retina display is graphics power with 4 GPU cores being required using current tech. It's not unreasonable to assume that Series 6 (which brings a potentially very big boost in performance) will reduce that considerably. For the sake of argument let's say a 2 core GPU will be the equivalent in raw power as the A6X is today. That raises a very interesting possibility across the iOS range.

A standard A7 (dual core CPU, dual core GPU) could easily be the flagship chip for iPhone and also run the iPad Mini with retina while also providing a noticeable real world performance boost over the current model. Apple could, theoretically, run the iPhone variant at an even lower clockspeeds than today to improve battery life and still see performance increases. Meanwhile an A7X with quad core GPU and maybe even quad core CPU would be achievable for the iPad if Apple didn't mind spending the additional die area to achieve it. That would give a very clear reason for going up to the larger device and effectively work in much the same way as the 13" and 15" rMBP spec does now - the bigger device can make use of that extra space and battery power to run a hotter, more power hungry system. Oh, and at the same time the current iPad Mini could be retained and dropped to say $249 the same way the iPod Touch line currently has the previous gen as the entry level device.

As I said, just a guess but it would tie up with most of the production rumours we're hearing at the moment and seem to make sense in a wider context of Apple's product lines and general narrative.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
If no retina truly doesn't bother you, then you won't be pissed. If it does, you shouldn't be purchasing now unless you're perfectly fine with selling it to upgrade as early as next Spring.

No sympathy *if* it happens (I'd be surprised myself). Every buyer on this forum knew what they were getting with a gen 1 mini, and that there were no assurances of a full year's wait anymore after the iPad 3's replacement.

I wouldn't be upset, but a lot of people would. I bought the mini gen 1, and I'll sell it when a gen 2 is released and buy the new one, and both versions will be thoroughly enjoyed by me.

I still don't believe 6 months we'll see a new mini, as I've explained. But I can't wait till we do see a new one! :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Spring? I don't see that at all. Perhaps...perhaps, early summer to fill in the sales slot where the iPhone use to fit. Early spring is way too soon for an upgrade. Apple will start to use up a lot of good will if it starts pushing out new models like Samsung. Apple users are conditioned to annual iOS device updates. Any sooner and people will start upgrading at longer intervals. Not good for Apple's bottom line.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Is it out of the ralm of possibility, no, but I'm thinking next fall at the earliest. I've decided that 500-600 is way too much to throw around. I'll keep my Ipad 3, and I have a Nexus 7 32gb that is more than capable at that size, I'll wait for the retina mini, the wait will be worth it.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Just knowing the mini 2 will be a major update, I plan to return my mini by the time of the best buy 60 day return policy (for silver members) and mainly use my iPad 3 and the great nexus 7 which I'm sure also will get updates in 2013 like rear camera, hdmi etc. btw I'm shocked at how the battery in the mini sux.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
People think just because the iPad 3 got updated in 6 months, the next iPads will as well. Well, if that's the case, why didn't the iPhone 5 take 16 months to get updated like the iPhone 4S. Apple will release it when it's ready.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Ipad mini retina will be released next spring for $399 replacing ipad 2. Regular mini will still be available at $329.
A more likely scenario would be:

$329 - iPad Mini with Retina (16/32/64, WiFi or LTE)
$229 - iPad Mini without Retina (16GB WiFi Only)

This gives Apple their footing in the $200 market while also giving them a premium option.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
what do you say the percent of people saying "it won't happen in the spring" own an ipad mini right now?

...i say 100%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.