Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AWDBat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I've been using Proclip vehicle mounts (http://www.proclipusa.com) for my iPhone 4 for the past couple of years in a variety of vehicles including a Subaru Outback XT, Subaru STi and Nissan Frontier Pro4X. When the iPhone 5 was released I was anxious to get a vehicle mount to hold my device and use it as a nav unit/entertainment center.

http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-device-holder/apple/iphone-4-4s-used-with-a-case.aspx

The adjustable iPhone 4 holder worked great for my previous device as it had an integrated 30 pin dock connector that I could just drop the iPhone 4 onto and it was already hooked up to my in dash car stereo and ready to go. I was able to use the lightning to 30 pin adapter (the square one) to fit the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 4 holder, adjust the holder so it would hold the 5 more securely and use it just as i used my iPhone 4. Of course because the lightning to 30 pin adapter is an inch tall, the iPhone 5 sat quite high and was not totally secure.

http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-de...older-for-cable-attachment--514423-19045.aspx

Enter Proclip's iPhone 5 adjustable holder. It is advertised to work only with Apple's lightning cable, but the pictures on their website were not really clear as to why. When the holder arrived it became very apparent why. There is no integrated lightning adapter on the holder unlike the iPhone 4 holder and its 30 pin dock connector. There is only a hole to pass the lightning cable through on the bottom of the holder that snaps the cable (very securely) into place. I was disappointed as I wanted to use my old 30 pin cables to connect the iPhone 5 to my head unit (a Pioneer cable to an AVH3200BT Pioneer head unit in my STi and a Kensington 2-in-1 Car Charger and Aux out cable in the Frontier) and the square lightning to 30 pin adapter would not work.

I figured the solution would then be to order Apple's Lightning to 30 pin adapter cable since that would be just like having a lightning cable to snap into the bottom of the holder. Not quite. The diameter of the Lightning to 30 pin adapter cable is larger than the standard lightning cable for reasons that are beyond me.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD824ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter-02-m?fnode=45

I was frustrated that I could not get this to work. That's when I decided that the difference in diameter between the two cables had to be the housing and not the actual cable itself. Needless to say what I did voided Apple's warranty on the adapter cable, but it worked. I simply shaved the housing off the base of the lightning adapter before it joined the cable on the lightning to 30 pin adapter (used a very sharp knife to trim two of the edges and then peeled the rest of the housing off down to the bare metal of the adapter). This then allowed me to snap the adapter into the base of the holder securely and still have the insulation/cover on the cable itself. The bare metal is covered by the Proclip's lightning passthrough hole providing the insulation for that part of the adapter.

Now I can use Proclip's iPhone 5 adjustable holder, lightning to 30 pin adapter cable from Apple and either my Pioneer 30 pin cable or the Kensington 30 pin 2-in-1 cable to connect to both my vehicles' ICE. The adapter works fine with the cables, audio is crisp and I can still use my steering wheel controls for the Pioneer AVH3200BT head unit.

As for the vehicle mounts, they work great. Well built, sturdy ABS and the different vehicle mounts attach very securely in both the Subaru STi and the Nissan Pro4X. They have each been in their respective vehicles for over a year and have not budged, slipped or come loose (and the Pro4X has done a lot of off road driving on rocky terrain!). The iPhone 5 holder I got is great and holds the device securely and is easy to pop in and get going with one hand and not fumbling with cables. The angle of view is adjustable making the Waze app that much easier to see and use. Proclip mounts are not cheap, but you get what you pay for!

msmith2112

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2002
Proclip makes an adjustable holder for the iPhone 5 specifically made for the Lightning to 30-pin adapter cable.

Here.

AWDBat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I saw that was recently released, curses for being an early adopter! :)

edulinka

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012
Upstate NY
Same problem

So far proclip for it too expensive. Hope they realise that it is too expensive You need to buy holder + cable. Waiting for price drop or another solution.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
So far proclip for it too expensive. Hope they realise that it is too expensive You need to buy holder + cable. Waiting for price drop or another solution.

Just that holder is $80? Seriously? Its made of plastic, not gold.

edulinka

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012
Upstate NY
25%

So now they trick people and me :) with 25 % with coupon code 12blkfri
I got it because can't wait for other solutions. So very easy to raise price and then give people coupon for it :)

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
So now they trick people and me :) with 25 % with coupon code 12blkfri
I got it because can't wait for other solutions. So very easy to raise price and then give people coupon for it :)

Does this coupon work before Black Friday?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
As for the vehicle mounts, they work great. Well built, sturdy ABS and the different vehicle mounts attach very securely in both the Subaru STi and the Nissan Pro4X.
I'm not as much a fan of their vehicle mounts as their device mounts. They tend to rely on friction and double sided tape. If Panavise has a vehicle bracket for my vehicle I'll go with the Panavise solution (using it with the ProClip device mount) as it will be a metal bracket that securely bolts to the vehicle. That said, Panavise doesn't seem to have as many options for mounting locations for most vehicles so there's a tradeoff there.

So far proclip for it too expensive.
Subjective, just as "expensive" is on any topic. There are other mounting solutions out there if price is a top concern for you. ProClip's mounts works extremely well in my years of experience with them, they offer a variety of solutions and there's really nothing comparable (IMO -- your criteria may vary) for significantly less that I've seen. That said, use what works for you.

If you just want a holder they certainly have cheaper soluitions for the 5.
http://www.proclipusa.com/default.a...e_holder=false&p_pageid=1&dtype=&leftorright=
The holder that OP is discussing works like a dock so you don't have to separately connect the lightning cable.

Hope they realise that it is too expensive You need to buy holder + cable.
They aren't going to realize anything. This pricing is pretty much in line with ProClip's pricing in the past. The prior mount for our 4 & 4S with a passthrough connector also required that I purchase a cable.

If you want a cheap dock/mount you should look elsewhere.

Just that holder is $80? Seriously? Its made of plastic, not gold.
If it was gold it would be a LOT more than $80. Seriously, you might want to adjust your expectations. Current price of gold is always available online.

Last edited:

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
If it was gold it would be a LOT more than $80. Seriously, you might want to adjust your expectations. Current price of gold is always available online.

hmmmm.

Attachments

• 2060593-851ac22e_d61912a9_cant-tell-if-serious.jpeg
    2060593-851ac22e_d61912a9_cant-tell-if-serious.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 129

eleite

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
I just want to thank you for helping me discover proclip... i've been looking for something like this for FOREVER

MacBoyFanatic

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Could not live without my ProClip

I am itching to order a ProClip mount for my iPhone 5.

Have used one from my 4 and 4S for a couple of years now, and it is so easy to just slip it into the car mount. The Camaro mount puts the iPhone right at your fingertips, and is the most convenient mount I have ever used.

A bit worried about the whole proprietary issue with Lightning cables and adapters though.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I am itching to order a ProClip mount for my iPhone 5.

Have used one from my 4 and 4S for a couple of years now, and it is so easy to just slip it into the car mount. The Camaro mount puts the iPhone right at your fingertips, and is the most convenient mount I have ever used.

A bit worried about the whole proprietary issue with Lightning cables and adapters though.
Worried in what regard? Our iPhone 5 holder for the lightning adapter works extremely well. It's "so easy to just slip it into the car mount".

It's not like the old 30 pin connector wasn't proprietary.

If you can turn a profit selling gold iPhone car mounts for $80 then by all means do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.