Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
This is the greatest buying opportunity I have ever seen.

Everybody should be taking out home equity lines of credit and using the proceeds to buy Apple stock. See if you can refinance your car loan. Take everything out of your 401(k) and IRA accounts. Buy on margin. Buy options. Take next month's rent money. Do whatever you have to, but BUY!

^ This guy has it right. Really anything under 600 is an absolute steal so long as you have the patience to wait until January... or June of next year.

I see 850 as a great selling point down the line.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
The bigger question is where the bottom is? I'm thinking of jumping in on some shares soon but if their holiday disappoints the stock is going to get hit hard.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
More fear mongering to artificially bring down the stock price. What the press and Wall Street are doing to Apple's stock price should be illegal. It's really not fair. Why do we all of a sudden expect them to put out a groundbreaking new product category every 6 months? They never have operated like that and they never will. No company can.

I think the main problem here is that people are bored. Tech pundits, Wall Street, etc. think everything is a yawn now--and they say that mostly to generate clicks. Throw Apple in the title, and that's probably triple the clicks you would normally get. Is Google innovating at every turn? Nope. Android is in refinement stages too. The biggest innovation we've seen lately is actually Windows Phone, and even that is still just holding a glass rectangle, launching apps by clicking an icon, etc.

Maybe nobody has come out with the next big thing yet because the next big thing is not necessary. Maybe we have what we need right now: Information at our fingertips at all times, super fast internet speeds on the go, phones that can control our houses and cars, tablets and computers that are razor thin and light as a feather, etc. Is Google Glass the next big thing? Some think so. I see it more as another way for Google to stick annoying ads in front of my face, but that's just my opinion. After that--what else do we have?

Ugh--I don't know why people expect Apple to innovate at an unrealistic pace. They're being held to a standard that they weren't even held to when Jobs was in charge. I don't understand.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Apple has made great strides in the mobile market, however they're hitting a critical mass. I don't believe it's tied to Foxconn not keeping up with iPhone 5 production, last I checked my local stores had plenty in stock. The "iPad Mini" wasn't the biggest hit they expected. It certainly didn't flop, but Apple pushed it on its own accord and sales were lower than expectations.

The iMac refresh was interesting, but Apple needs to refocus on desktop systems, power and OS X. Lion and Mountain Lion have been [arguably] mediocre successes with quality (sales may state otherwise, but at such a low price and with little other options for customers, of course the iTunes Store will reflect high sales for OS X updates).

Move on from lawsuits and iOS, and get back to innovating systems and OS X. There are many who need power systems with upgradability, get that Mac Pro and better displayS on the market.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
P/E of ~13 and people talk as if AAPL is crazy overvalued. No debt, 121+B in the bank, solid yield (does your savings account give you 2% interest?), what's not to like?

I wouldn't put money I couldn't live without into it, unlike a former poster. That's just nuts, the market can be incredibly fickle when it comes to Apple stock.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Apple will be a $400 stock by year-end heading lower still. All the classic signs of a stock that has boomed and seen its best days: earnings disappointments (3 in a row), lame product launches, operational issues (maps, siri), blame-casting by throwing some management under the bus, building a grotesque new HQ, not to mention the fact that everyone and their mom already owns a iphone/ipad and/or owns the stock.

With 56 analyst recommendations to buy AAPL vs. only 5 "holds" and 2 "sells" there is a long way to go for this stock to wring out excesses. Based on the chart, etc I will start to nibble at $200.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that $200 mark. Has Apple lost some in its stock price? Yes. Does this mean imminent doom? No. It's hard to tell where the stock price will go, but all stocks go up and down over time. It's nothing to worry much about, at least not at this point.

Most of the things you mention as "classic signs that a stock has boomed and seen its best days" are total and complete opinion. Lame product launches; throwing management under the bus; building a "grotesque" new headquarters. Those are your personal opinions, not facts. And I'm curious, do you really base how well a company's stock will do on them building a new HQ? That's a tip I haven't heard of before...

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
If nothing else, I'd suggest one thing they need to sort out in the old UI for iOS products.

Even the latest iPad4 and Mini and basically using the exact same old dead icon grid that the very 1st iPhone launched with.

The Microsoft Surface with it's life titles giving you information without having to run programs is just showing how out of date Apple's UI is even more.

Each to his own though. To me, the tile interface looks like it belongs on something you buy in the under 5's section of toys 'R' us, with "My first computer" written on the box.

But that doesn't make it wrong, or me right, it's just what seems dated to some is fine for others. Time will tell I guess.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Apple's problem is that it makes real money. If it made losses every quarter it would be valued far higher e.g. Amazon with a 3000 P/E. At its current price AAPL has a lower P/E than Microsoft and even Wal-Mart. Do you really expect Walmart to grow faster than Apple?

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
same boring products with incremental speed bumps

nothing innovative to see here... dump your stock and move along

we have no
iTunes 11
New Apple TV
New MacPro

why does an iMac need to be thinner and lighter, when it SITS ON A DESK
why does anyone need a small iPad, oh I see, it's purse sized, thanks for ignoring all your male customers ... :mad:

let me guess we'll have a thinner iPad 4 in the spring? big effin deal...

ZzzZzzZzz

rdstoll

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
More fear mongering to artificially bring down the stock price. What the press and Wall Street are doing to Apple's stock price should be illegal. It's really not fair.

This is exactly the kind of whining and blame that was cast about as the tech bubble burst 12 years ago. Like I said above, there's a lot of bullish excess to come out of this stock and it's going to be very painful for those that cling to hope.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Never understood why there is such a doom and gloom scenario when the stock goes down. It does so on a cyclical basis and then rebounds. Will happen again...

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Everybody should be taking out home equity lines of credit and using the proceeds to buy Apple stock. See if you can refinance your car loan. Take everything out of your 401(k) and IRA accounts. Buy on margin. Buy options. Take next month's rent money. Do whatever you have to, but BUY!

Or, do what the above quote says, cash out everything you have, take the biggest loan you possibly can...and then go to Vegas, go to the roulette wheel, and play it all on number 21.

Trust me, you can't lose.

Remember, you heard it here...

:rolleyes:

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
The bigger question is where the bottom is? I'm thinking of jumping in on some shares soon but if their holiday disappoints the stock is going to get hit hard.

New iPhone 5. New iPad. New iPad Mini. New Mac Mini. New iMacs. New iPods.

This holiday will NOT disappoint and anyone that says it will is mad that they believed the hype and sold.

The stock is near bottoming out. It'll be just fine.

After the first week of December... you'll see. ;)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Yes - by all means - take advice on buying or selling stocks from some anonymous poster on MacRumors with YOUR history LOL

LOL'ing at the calls of manipulation. Was it being manipulated up as well? It was overpriced and overbought at $700. An easy call there to see it drop. The bottom may be harder to pick. $525 has support. There is a gap in the low $400's. I have heard some people talk about the high $200's. I like to see what happens at $525 first. Santa is always good to Apple.

Exactly. No one seems to call manipulation when the stock surges. Only when if falls...

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K

On the flip side, don't buy and avoid the panic that comes when "expectations" set by analysts aren't met (calling it now) when the holiday quarter ends and having to see all that money you borrowed and saved up shrink :). Apple's not dying off, they were just ridiculously overvalued for a company focused around products that are slowly losing consumer interest

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
why does anyone need a small iPad, oh I see, it's purse sized, thanks for ignoring all your male customers ... :mad:

Do you need something larger to make you feel better about yourself? Just curious...

It's not like there's no guys out there buying iPad Minis. Saying that they're sized for women is an amazingly sexist comment. They're sized for what the current market wants.

thegluchow

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
why is there such infatuation with Apple? I mean, I own their products, however, why is this company consistently under a microscope? Anyone look at Google's stock lately? Massive dive as well, barely a peep on it.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
On the flip side, don't buy and avoid the panic that comes when "expectations" set by analysts aren't met (calling it now) when the holiday quarter ends and having to see all that money you borrowed and saved up shrink :). Apple's not dying off, they were just ridiculously overvalued for a company focused around products that are slowly losing consumer interest

Again, with a P/E of ~13, how can you credibly call AAPL "ridiculously overvalued"?

----------

Do you need something larger to make you feel better about yourself? Just curious...

It's not like there's no guys out there buying iPad Minis. Saying that they're sized for women is an amazingly sexist comment. They're sized for what the current market wants.

You'd think he'd want the smaller one so he could look bigger LOL.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
why is there such infatuation with Apple? I mean, I own their products, however, why is this company consistently under a microscope? Anyone look at Google's stock lately? Massive dive as well, barely a peep on it.
Well this is MacRumors...

Rocketman

macrumors 603
A 20% correction after a 9 year bull run is trivial. Pause to refresh. If it gets to or near the 528 target, buy thereafter.

The most notable figure is a forward P/E of under 11 with a company experiencing 20% growth. Financial repression by (political) fiscal, tax and monetary policies tend to compress P/E's for all companies. Any relief in the fiscal or monetary world will indicate P/E expansion. The underlying growth rate indicates a target P/E on a fundamental basis is 20. A double.

Amazon is something like P/E 240 and they have under 20% growth and short 4% margins. Apple has 40% margins, 20% or better growth and a forward P/E of 11.

Invest accordingly.

Rocketman

As of this post it was as low as 541 this morning.

Last edited:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Apple will be a $400 stock by year-end heading lower still. All the classic signs of a stock that has boomed and seen its best days: earnings disappointments (3 in a row), lame product launches, operational issues (maps, siri), blame-casting by throwing some management under the bus, building a grotesque new HQ, not to mention the fact that everyone and their mom already owns a iphone/ipad and/or owns the stock.

With 56 analyst recommendations to buy AAPL vs. only 5 "holds" and 2 "sells" there is a long way to go for this stock to wring out excesses. Based on the chart, etc I will start to nibble at $200.

Huh?!? So you think that the stock will be trading at something like 5 times earnings soon? That's kind of crazy.

I just went to the Apple store and saw the iPad Mini in person. It is going to FLY off the shelves this Christmas. There were huge lines (which I skipped by using Apple Store App). I haven't decided if I'm buying the Mini myself. But I know millions others will. Also folks are going to buy more of the 32Gb devices which have crazy crazy margins. Apple made $40 billion in profit last fiscal year. Anyone want to bet that they don't beat that easily in this current fiscal year?

I'm not saying that Apple is going to 1,000. Frankly, I have serious concerns about Apple's willingness to return value to shareholders in the form of dividends. I think the rest of the market has the same concerns and that is, ultimately, what is holding back this stock. But my concerns don't make me think the stock is dropping below $400.

And very few people own Apple products when you consider that basically the entire world wants them. The market for smartphones is humans over the age of 8. The market for tablets is humans over the age of 4. Everyone wants one or doesn't yet realize how useful these devices are to have, eventually will realize it, and then will want one. Everyone. Both of those markets have barely been slightly filled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.