Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
My developers use a PC and they need to do some testing on an iPad. Instead of me purchasing an iPad for them to use does the iOS Dev Package have an iPad emulator built in to test a site using the Safari browser?

Product is web-based we just need to make sure the .javascript displays correctly on mobile devices.

*Keep in mind this will be used on a Windows PC (is that even possible)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
My developers use a PC and they need to do some testing on an iPad. Instead of me purchasing an iPad for them to use does the iOS Dev Package have an iPad emulator built in to test a site using the Safari browser?

Product is web-based we just need to make sure the .javascript displays correctly on mobile devices.

*Keep in mind this will be used on a Windows PC (is that even possible)

iOS SDK and the Xcode IDE only run under Mac OS X. So, it's probably cheaper to buy an iPad (used is even cheaper) than buy a Mac and be able to run the Simulator.

Ides

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
From your signature, it looks like you own a mac. You could download XCode, for free, and use the iPad emulator that comes with it to test the site.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
From your signature, it looks like you own a mac. You could download XCode, for free, and use the iPad emulator that comes with it to test the site.

Yes I have a Mac but I'm in a separate location than my developers. Looks like purchasing an iPad is the best choice.

fSHAD

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
UAE
Its a web application isnt it ? tell them to upload it to a web server and check ! If you dont have 1 get a 1 month hosting plan itll cost you $10

fSHAD

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
UAE
Check on what? The developers don't have an iPad or a Mac running the iOS Simulator. That was the whole original concern.

r u da the developer ? sorry bro u aint going to get an ipad ? :p (jst kidin)

@AFPoster has iPad, MBP now if he can provide his developer a webspace linux or windows, Developer uploads the scripts @AFPoster checks and responds !

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
r u da the developer ? sorry bro u aint going to get an ipad ? :p (jst kidin)

@AFPoster has iPad, MBP now if he can provide his developer a webspace linux or windows, Developer uploads the scripts @AFPoster checks and responds !

Yes I can do the tests myself but they want to have one on hand for a couple weeks to do regression testing instead of every 30 minutes calling me to check something. It's better if they have the iPad physically in front of them do have a better visually understanding on the look and feel instead of me sending screen shots.

It's cool I'm buying my guys an iPad.

fSHAD

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
UAE
Yes I can do the tests myself but they want to have one on hand for a couple weeks to do regression testing instead of every 30 minutes calling me to check something. It's better if they have the iPad physically in front of them do have a better visually understanding on the look and feel instead of me sending screen shots.

It's cool I'm buying my guys an iPad.

yea u have a point ! btw ur developers are lucky !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.