Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
Sharpness is relative to the distance you view the content at and the real world size of the screen.

eg - on a TV you only perceive full HD up to a certain distance from your plasma after which the detail becomes imperceivable.

On the smaller ipad Id rather have the CPU driving snappier apps and grunty creative stuff than driving more pixels just to read my email.

Retina a little overkill except on the full size iPad?

With that logic, the iPhone and iPod don't need Retina.

SteveyAppleSeed

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
Chip sizes

I think it was AnandTech that showed a progression of chip sizes from A5 to A6x, with A5 being larger than the A6.

I see the Mini 2 going with the A6 for that reason. It needs the GPU power to push those pixels and the A6 is power efficient and runs cool.

Mini 2:
2560x1600 IGZO panel
A6

Bring it on! It's the perfect size.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
So many critics. I'll be buying a mini, then when retina comes ill buy another, and then when the next greatest thing worth while comes out ill buy that as well.... So will millions of others. It's only three hundred bucks. Then used it will sell for what. Two hundred? I'll gladly rent one for a hundred or two for the next six months.

fahimkhair

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
London
The non retina put me off slightly. Coming from a retina iPad and iPhone, it wasn't great. But with retina, bring it on! But it's gonna be a year wait :(

Damitol

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
On noes111 they r upgrading the mini111

I received my Mini the other day and the screen is great. Sure you can always look for fault, but the bottom line is for day in, day out use it really meets my needs. The portability is amazing, and it's perfect for laying in bed and reading or watching Netflix.

I knew full well when I ordered it that 2013 would bring Retina and a better processor (probably even a 16:9 display like the iPad 5 will have. OH NOES111) but it meets my needs today - and even if I wait 3 more years, something "better" will always be just around the corner.

So - feel free to wait until next Fall, but I will have had a full year of enjoyment with my Mini by that time, and I guarantee you the people who wait until 2014 will get something thinner, lighter, faster and cooler. Welcome to the world of technology.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
For the iPad mini to work as it currently does, it's Retina Display would be to be an incredibly high resolution screen. All the pixels of the third/fourth generation iPad in that screen size.

Quick question: Do iPhone apps appear tiny on iPad mini?

I can't put my finger on why, but I can't help feeling by just making the pixels smaller, Apple are making a mistake somehow... Maybe it's just me.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Apple likes to have a clear upgrade path in their products, both from product to product, but also in the generation-to-generation dimension within the same product line and in the spec-to-spec dimension within the same generation.

That is genius. It allows upgrade paths in three different dimensions for existing customers. You can get a more capable iteration of your existing product. You can get a new generation product with better stuff in the box. And you can get a new type of product to supplement your existing selections.

So Apple will sell a gazillion iMinis this time around, only to get many of the same people to buy them again next time around. Lots of customers will get an iMini iRetina when it hits the stores - hell, they'll wait in line to buy a second iMini with the new specs and capabilities.

Apple knows EXACTLY what they are doing. And their fans scream "Shut up and take my money!".

Whenever I start to think I'm an Apple fan, someone like you comes along and defines the fans in such a way that I'm excluded.

I upgrade when the new version excites me enough to make it worth my while. I guess I'm just not hardcore enough to be a REAL fan.

Thanks for letting me know where i fit into the hierarchy.

----------

Only a fool doesn't know the next gen in 6 months will have retina.
And A6.

And when it takes seven or eight months, or even a year, some will be apoplectic that Apple missed the deadline imposed on them.

----------

For the iPad mini to work as it currently does, it's Retina Display would be to be an incredibly high resolution screen. All the pixels of the third/fourth generation iPad in that screen size.

Quick question: Do iPhone apps appear tiny on iPad mini?

I can't put my finger on why, but I can't help feeling by just making the pixels smaller, Apple are making a mistake somehow... Maybe it's just me.

You can put your finger on it. Just go to the Apple Store and try one out for yourself. The experience may reenforce your feeling that making the screen smaller was a mistake, or you may find it doesn't make a difference.

Just don't say you can't put your finger on it.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I agree with this. And the iPad 5th gen

I hope your right about the 5th gen iPad! I'm on iPad 2 and want the new one, but want to wait and see if they put the new anti reflective imac screen design into the ipad. And if they can make it a bit thinner and lighter and a bit faster, but keep battery life about the same then it will be a great update.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I really should return this thing and wait cause I KNOW a better one is coming. However I use it ALL the time and will miss it like crazy!

I'm just on day 3 with my mini. I love it. But it's going back. I want that retina too.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
(Today)
Retina is just bluff! It has no use! I'm very happy with my low res screen. Oh no, it's not low res at all! It's higher than my old CRT TV! It's really crisp comparing to the iPad 1 ~3 years ago! I'm buying 4 of them for my family. I love what I buy! I must praise it. I paid for it, of course it's the best!

(6 months later)
Wow retina! Wow same price! Well done Apple. I'm happily paying again. I'd love to pay twice in a year. Who cares if this looks the same. I am buying the 4G LTE 64GB version for $659, it's JUST double the price of the base 16GB wifi! What a bargain! And boy it's crystal clear! Reading books is such a pleasant experience on this thing. I absolutely love it. Please release another one which is twice as fast with A7 processor in it half a year later so that I can pay for a third time.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
I was talking to a friend today who made me realize something I would have never considered since I don't have kids. The school his daughter goes to is implementing a system where every child gets an ipad and will no longer have to carry around heavy books in their heavy backpacks. Initially the school was slated to purchase the $399 iPad 2... Here comes the $329 iPad Mini. And guess what the school is doing? Yes.... saving $70 per ipad and having an even smaller, lighter and sufficient tablet for the kids to work with. I can honestly bet that the school can care less about Pixel Density or whether the screens are retina or not. With this mentality, the iPad mini will be an ideal "E-School Book" for many private schools such as my friend mentioned.

Apply this to corporations, government agencies and many business... who will also not care about a retina display.

It seems that it's only MacRumors members and Gizmodo readers that are making such a big deal out of this.

Randomoneh

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
I am the only one in here who holds his iPad just as close as I hold any smartphone? Therefore, in my opinion, tablets should not have lower PPI value than smartphones.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
I can honestly bet that the school can care less about Pixel Density or whether the screens are retina or not.

Apply this to corporations, government agencies and many business... who will also not care about a retina display.

It seems that it's only MacRumors members and Gizmodo readers that are making such a big deal out of this.
Schools, corps, govt agencies, and businesses have to manage budget to please their shareholders/sponsors/taxpayers/whatevers. Functionality is managed with cost to be 'good enough' or 'fit for purpose'.

But when I'm shelling out my money I want more than that, because I'm worth it!

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I'm just on day 3 with my mini. I love it. But it's going back. I want that retina too.

I am going to keep mine 20 days and take back. Oh well...I'll be tabletless until that comes out....Grrrr!!!! :mad:

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
I am going to keep mine 20 days and take back. Oh well...I'll be tabletless until that comes out....Grrrr!!!! :mad:

I still have my iPad 3. So I won't be without a tablet. But I wouldn't think you (we) will have to wait long before the retina mini comes out. Retina is good and let's not forget Apple taught us that we need retina. :)

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I still have my iPad 3. So I won't be without a tablet. But I wouldn't think you (we) will have to wait long before the retina mini comes out. Retina is good and let's not forget Apple taught us that we need retina. :)

I think I sold my iPad 3 too soon. Just two days after I had my mini.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Schools, corps, govt agencies, and businesses have to manage budget to please their shareholders/sponsors/taxpayers/whatevers. Functionality is managed with cost to be 'good enough' or 'fit for purpose'.

But when I'm shelling out my money I want more than that, because I'm worth it!

Yes, you're worth it. I was just pointing out a different spectrum since most apple users believe that Apple is making products specifically for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.