Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

328xi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Replaced my iPad 1 and love it! I use mine at work for meeting notes and much more convenient.

tsd71

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
I've had my 32GB mini since launch day, I have had all the iPhones and I have had iPad 1&3...this is without any doubt my favorite Apple product. Also the screen is fine, people are way too picky...:confused:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Lots of love for my iPad mini. Best iPad that I've owned (of course I've only owned the iPad 1 :p )

I bring it everywhere I go and that's just the point, its extremely mobile

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Since getting it on launch day I no longer notice the difference in the screen or even the screen size.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
All I keep reading is hate and disappointment for the iPad Mini....

I just want to throw my thoughts out there.... I love it.

Actually...I can't use the big daddy iPad anymore, it feels too chunky, heavy and some apps just feel 'too big' on the screen!

A lot of people don't like the screen on the mini, I personally don't have any problems with it, the only area I've noticed 'non retina' is the App Store, websites and text still look great to me. (note I haven't read any books though)

Talk about light.... Around a week of using it everyday.... I still can't comprehend how light it is and how incredible it feels to hold.

I've got the iPad 3 and it didn't really feel much quicker than my iPad 2, so I don't have any issues with speed.

Finally, I'm finding I'm using my iPad way more now, I've been taking it to work, the shops...everywhere! It fits nicely in my jacket pocket.

I just thought I'd type some late thoughts cause I haven't read much love for it on here. - Maybe I'm just blind!

Who else loves or at least doesn't have a problem with the mini?

:)

Yeah I love my mini as well but I also have the big iPad 4.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I absolutely love my iPad Mini! It feels so natural to use.

I agree with others, it's probably one of my best Apple purchases so far.

It also compliments my iPad (3rd gen) extremely well!

EmaDaCuz

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
Got the mini, now I can't even use the MBA because I find it to heavy!
For casual use, the mini is the best! I loooooove it! :D

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I think the mini is a nearly perfect a part from watching movies i prefer to use a 9'7 iPad to watch movies but anything else i would use the mini.i have always got my mini in my hand reading something.The only problem i just wish i got the LTE version now looking back but it doesn't matter i can tether with my iPhone until the next one comes and get a LTE version instead.i personally love it and wouldn't be without it now.I am just waiting for a decent case to come out so that i can use it when i am out and about.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Absolutely love my mini. Whenever I pick up my old iPad 1, which I've given to my wife, it feels so large and clunky I just don't even want to use it. People posted alternatives to the small font in Safari. When too small, I just zoom in. But it would be nice if Apple did change the default font for Safari and also Mail in landscape mode. But those are the the only two possible negatives I see and even they aren't that big a deal.

BulkyCranium

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
I love my mini!

I have an original iPad and a Retina MBP, so I am used to a Retina screen. I am a graphic designer, so I was worried about the pixel density at preorder. But the screen is just fine.

I did buy a Nexus 7 a while ago. That is a good device too, but It was always just a little unfinished. Apps would not respond sometimes and I would have to relaunch them, or on occasion reboot the devise. (But to be fair, those could be the app programmers fault, not the Nexus)

But the Mini is a wonderful device. The sound is way louder and fuller than the Nexus 7. The size and weight are perfect for mobility. I have not had to reboot it since I got it. and I use it at least 5 hours a day next to my MBP and out in meetings.

BTW I just tether the data to my iphone if I need to access the internet away from wifi. I did not want to pay for another data plan.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Just like anything else, the negatives always will be the most popular topics while calling anyone who actually likes the product a zombie or an iSheep.

Personally, I traded in my iPod Touch 5g for a mini after trying one out. It really is the best size for playing games which is what I primarily do. I own a Vita and 3DS XL and it's hard trying to play games on an iPod sized screen. The iPad is a little too big and hefty for games, but the Mini is close to perfect! The screen looks great, the battery life is outstanding, it's just a really perfect iPad I think.

I honestly love my iPad Mini at this point and have no complaints right now. I'm sure as time progresses, a new iteration will be in my future, just like iPod Touch's.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I'm not long back from PC World where I had reserved an iPad mini. I have come back empty handed though because I just couldn't commit to buying the mini. I currently have an iPad 3 which I love but I needed to see the mini in the flesh to make my mind up on it.
First up, the screen on the mini is great - yes it isn't retina but if you can get past that, pictures and movies look superb on this device. Games too look excellent and I was really warming to the mini. Performance is very good - on a par with my iPad 3 save for one area, RAM. Not a deal breaker but the 512MB RAM is noticeable on the mini, I could run with a few Safari tabs open and not see the checkerboard although testing through various apps, many apps had to reload when I switched to them but not with the iPad 3 I was comparing against.
Form factor is excellent - its a great size and weight, small enough to make a big difference but not to the point of impacting on usability - landscape keyboard for example was still fine to type on although I did still prefer the larger keyboard on the 3. One area where I thought the mini was better than the bigger iPad was in sound - in the store with background noise, the mini did appear to be a little louder and clearer to the ear.
So why did I not end up buying a mini? Ultimately it is the screen, the retina is a hard thing to give up and it is evident when reading text on web forums such as this one. It works on the mini but it is a better experience on the retina iPad. I'll be honest though, if this thing had 1GB RAM or a retina screen I would have bought one, the combination of them both was just a little too much of a down grade for me but I understand why Apple did this and we will definitely see 1GB Ram in the mini next year and most likely retina too - I will for sure be buying one then. History repeats itself - Apple brought out the iPad 1 with just enough to get by i.e. 256MB Ram and once it proved a success, Apple were confident enough to up the specs as they knew it would sell and I see the same happening with the mini. I really do think any modern IOS device needs 1GB ram though.
Looking forward to next year.

coldpower27

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I got the 16GB mini White as a portable device, so overall it's been good, good for on the road usage was weight is at a bit of a premium, I can tell the slight fuzziness due to lack of Retina, but I only recently got the 4, so it's not a big deal, the hardware needed to drive Retina with full speed is still too power hungry at this time to pop into such a thin device ala the mini.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I am in love with my Mini. Definitely one of my favorite Apple products ever. It just screams quality, yet it's so light and portable. The non-retina display isn't bad at all really, and it's worth it to have a thinner, lighter tablet. It's the perfect companion/middle device to my 15-inch MacBook Pro and iPhone 5.

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
After the keynote, I told all and sundry that I was keeping my iPad 3, wasn't going to go for this version of the Mini, etc etc.

Was in the Apple Store the day after launch, held one and realised the weight was a key feature for me - I use my iPad on the go all day long. Bought a 16gb to see how it went - love it and have sold the 3. Screen is a small compromise to make but the form factor is the one I've been waiting for.

So yes, love for the iPad Mini. Retina is nice but it isn't everything.

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
I am in love with my Mini. Definitely one of my favorite Apple products ever. It just screams quality, yet it's so light and portable. The non-retina display isn't bad at all really, and it's worth it to have a thinner, lighter tablet. It's the perfect companion/middle device to my 15-inch MacBook Pro and iPhone 5.

I totally agree the mini balances out my MBA 13" and iPhone 5 beautifully ..there's no need to own every gen ipad when everyone has their own needs and uses for it

Angus9541

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
I lost sleep the day i bought as i have a good laptop and thought about taking it back but now I absolutely love my mini, it's so portable, it actually fits into my coat pocket and the weight is not noticeable, the battery is awesome, will most likely but the retina!

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Love my mini. I will say that coming from retina was somewhat difficult, but after a while of use it doesn't bother me as much and have gotten use to it. It's so much more easier to use with one hand and take it to my college classes much more. Some of my classes have very very tiny desk and my mini fits perfect along with some notebook paper. I am actually considering selling my 3rd gen just because I don't use it as much and know I can get good $ out of it.

Love the mini. Can't wait for retina mini lol . Will get that one too!

Honza

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area
The iPad is a little too big and hefty for games, but the Mini is close to perfect! The screen looks great, the battery life is outstanding, it's just a really perfect iPad I think.

I honestly love my iPad Mini at this point and have no complaints right now. I'm sure as time progresses, a new iteration will be in my future, just like iPod Touch's.

Can anybody comment a little more in detail about how the iPad mini's handles with games that have on-screen controls? The big iPad has always been awkward. Is the iPad mini perfect for these games or is it still a little awkward? In particular I play FIFA 13 quite a bit, but any game will do...

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Can anybody comment a little more in detail about how the iPad mini's handles with games that have on-screen controls? The big iPad has always been awkward. Is the iPad mini perfect for these games or is it still a little awkward? In particular I play FIFA 13 quite a bit, but any game will do...

I've been playing Game Loft games as well as some other FPS/TPS games and the smaller screen definitely helps. I've played the same games on the full sized iPad and always felt like I had to stretch to reach certain buttons (reload or grenades). The weight of the iPad also made it tricky since there are times you have to use it one handed while the other has to tap on something.

With the mini, the smaller screen puts buttons closer and the lighter weight of the device makes it a lot easier to hold one handed. I find games more enjoyable where I actually feel like I can use the controls better. I'm not a fan of on screen buttons, but these feel far more manageable than the iPad and way less cramped than the feel of an iPhone/iPod Touch.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I checked it last night at BestBuy. It looked no different to me than the sea of other tablets BB sells. Nothing special....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.