Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Has anyone noticed that they are slowly starting to call the ipad 9.7 or the ipad mini just "ipad". Makes it very confusing what they are talking about sometimes people are just saying ipad and not referencing which one. i guess when the Mini retina comes out their site they can no longer call the 9.7 one "ipad with Retina display" on their site. In the end this looks to be headed the macbook route where everyone just says my macbook.

"They" is defined as tech journalists and even apple on their keynote ipad video. And even on their earnings call where they didn't break out the 3 million in sales.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
"They" is defined as tech journalists and even apple on their keynote ipad video. And even on their earnings call where they didn't break out the 3 million in sales.

Apple doesn't break down the sale figures for the Mac or iPod (just that the iPod touch accounted for more than 50%), so I don't view the iPad 3 million press release as odd.

When they are specifically talking about the Mini, they refer to it as an iPad, but when discussing iPads in general they differentiate.

I just watched the video on Apple.com and that was my take away.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
On maybe im just imagining it. Any ideas what the big ipad will be called when mini retina comes out.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
When they are specifically talking about the Mini, they refer to it as an iPad, but when discussing iPads in general they differentiate.

Probably so they can group sales the same devices. Since the iPad overall lost some market share that should help those numbers.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Probably so they can group sales the same devices. Since the iPad overall lost some market share that should help those numbers.

Every company groups products from the same category, they don't group the iPads with the iPhones, unless they specifically are talking about iOS sales in total.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Every company groups products from the same category, they don't group the iPads with the iPhones, unless they specifically are talking about iOS sales in total.

Yes probably a competitive/ trade secret thing. Interesting because they did break out iphone 5 sales though.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I hate the mini name. It's an ipad with 7.9" screen. Calling it a mini iPad takes something away from it.

They don't call the 13" MacBook Pro, the MacBook Pro mini (compared to the 15" Pro)

The Air is different in that it's edge shaped and flash only.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If they change the naming, I hope they call them the iPad 8 and iPad 10, as opposed to the iPad 7.9 and iPad 9.7. I always thought Samsung's tablet names sucked.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I hate the mini name. It's an ipad with 7.9" screen. Calling it a mini iPad takes something away from it.
\

How do you feel about the Mac mini and the iPod nano? both mini and nano insinuate smaller form factor but essentially do the same as the larger device.

Also, the iPod touch doesn't make much sense anymore since the 6th and 7th generation iPod nano both have touch screens.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

They don't call the 13" MacBook Pro, the MacBook Pro mini (compared to the 15" Pro)

They could call it:

iPad Lite
Diet iPad
iPad Jr.
iPad Max
iPad Zero
iPad Lean
Lean, Mean iPad Machine
Slimfast iPad edition

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
On maybe im just imagining it. Any ideas what the big ipad will be called when mini retina comes out.

"The all new iPad mini with Retina Display"

----------

The "mini" brand now has a long and distinguished history with Apple.

iPod mini
Mac mini
iPad mini

All really great products.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
"The all new iPad mini with Retina Display"

----------

The "mini" brand now has a long and distinguished history with Apple.

iPod mini
Mac mini
iPad mini

All really great products.

Of which I just realized I now own all of... though my iPod Mini is a frankenstein's monster of a mp3 player. Replaced battery with a bigger one and replaced MicroDrive with an 8gb Compact Flash card.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Has anyone noticed that they are slowly starting to call the ipad 9.7 or the ipad mini just "ipad". Makes it very confusing what they are talking about sometimes people are just saying ipad and not referencing which one. i guess when the Mini retina comes out their site they can no longer call the 9.7 one "ipad with Retina display" on their site. In the end this looks to be headed the macbook route where everyone just says my macbook.

It's confusing because the market is now flooded with tablets that all do the same thing, look the same....etc....

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007

Entitled to your opinion. I disagree....

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
What do they call the ipad with retina display when the ipad mini gets retina?

The all new iPad mini with Retina display, and the all new iPad with Retina display, or maybe they'll just be iPad and iPad mini, and they'll rename the rest of the range MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Cheap Fat MacBook without Retina display.

I still prefer John Gruber's idea for the name. iPad Air seems better than mini; more aspirational, and emphasises the thinness and lightness rather than the smaller screen. Nobody would have complained about the price either!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The all new iPad mini with Retina display, and the all new iPad with Retina display, or maybe they'll just be iPad and iPad mini, and they'll rename the rest of the range MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Cheap Fat MacBook without Retina display.

I still prefer John Gruber's idea for the name. iPad Air seems better than mini; more aspirational, and emphasises the thinness and lightness rather than the smaller screen. Nobody would have complained about the price either!

that would get confusing though b.c people would start calling it the "Air"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.