Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Screw these analyst'
They drove up the stock price but there was no money to actually back that stock price. Happens all the time. Wall Street actually is overpriced. So much so that if all the investors made a run on the markets at the same time there wouldn't be any money to cover all those stocks. What a joke.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
It's only natural in a period of transition for the more timid elements to run for cover.

wol

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
Stock price dropping - who could have anticipated this?

Emm...
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14660295#post14660295

Stock prices are forward looking. With the Nexus 10 and Nexus 7, Google started competing with Apple both in PRICE and SPECS in the tablet market. Apple has two options
i) keep current price points for iPad and iPad mini until after the holidays. This will result in lost sales, and hence a decrease in market share as budget conscious holiday buyers will select Nexus over iPad
ii) lower entry price point for iPad and iPad mini. As a result Apple's profit margins will suffer.

Either way, while Apple still remains a highly profitable company, the revenue growth projections now look somewhat less good than past accomplishments. On top of this, the global economy seems to be heading towards another slow down, i.e. one can anticipate a decline in the overall discretionary spending of consumers.

Last edited:

SirLance99

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
Garbage. As an Android owner... a Motorola Razr Maxx... I was NEVER so frustrated with a phone in my entire life.

ANYONE that says Android has a superior OS is absolutely lying to themselves to make them feel better.

I switched to an iPhone 5 and there is NO comparison. NONE.

Don't buy into the Android hope or you'll get burned by the experience.

That said... everyone is entitled to get burned equally.
Enjoy!

:cool:

That's what they call user error.

I think Android is a superior OS and I'm not lying to myself but I still feel better.

Look, both iOS and Android have their plusses and minuses. It's whatever works best for the user. Competition is great for the consumer. I don't want either to go by the way side and I truly hope MS 8 works out as well.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Apple will be a $400 stock by year-end heading lower still. All the classic signs of a stock that has boomed and seen its best days: earnings disappointments (3 in a row), lame product launches, operational issues (maps, siri), blame-casting by throwing some management under the bus, building a grotesque new HQ, not to mention the fact that everyone and their mom already owns a iphone/ipad and/or owns the stock.

With 56 analyst recommendations to buy AAPL vs. only 5 "holds" and 2 "sells" there is a long way to go for this stock to wring out excesses. Based on the chart, etc I will start to nibble at $200.
Their revenues would have to shrink by at least 50% for $200 to be a realistic target. And since China Mobile is likely to be an iPhone carrier in the near future, you might want to plan on being hungry for a long time.

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
Steve Jobs didn't even want to build a 7" iPad, yet alone one with a crappy screen. That's why Apple is losing it now. He had focus, vision and knew what WE wanted. Tim Cook is a just a numbers guy. It's not the same.

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
As a daily trader in the stock market I would be careful here!
If the only factor was wether or not Apple will have an outstanding quarter
or not the desicion to go long would be obvious.
However there are a lot of negatives that may drive the whole stock
market significantly lower over the next few months : fiscal cliff, possible altercations in the middleast etc. The last time Apple had a dop such as this was in 2008 and as we rememebr the entire market followed in a drastic way.

As far as innovation declining thats ridiculous! The A6 a completely an in house designed chip blows the roof off compared to the competitors!!!(see anandtech review of various cpu)
Anyone who has experience with engineering will understand the amazing advances being made in material sience and manufacturing that were applied
to the iPhone 5 in order to create such a small strong device.
True apple hasn't released an OMG product for the last few years but has anyone else? I mean if you really think about it iPhone, iPod, laptop, ipad or any other computer etc are all really just computer technolgy manipulating code in new form factors and since the initial conception of binary logic 100 years ago all these devices are just itertations and continual improvements
on the same ideas. Inovation is all relative.

I also Love how all these arm chair quaterbacks pretend to have some understanding of the reasons
Scott was fired. Do any of us really have any real knowledge what is going on at the upper levels of Apple.
Everyone is so quick to bash Tim Cook have any of you actually worked side by side with him or are you just blurting out rumor and opinions read on other uninformed sites?

Last edited:

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Let me guess, you're one of the people that thinks the only "real professionals" in this world are the ones that need to purchase thousands of dollars worth of software to run on powerful desktop computers, right? That's a very narrow view of what constitutes a "professional." My dentist uses an iPad...doctors use them...all kinds of business professionals. You need to broaden your view of the world.

Uhm you need to step out of the reality distortion field.

Fact: with an iPad it's easy to send simple mails, browse the web, calendar and maybe to present something. But that's about it.

Fact: As a software developer you can consider me a 'professional' but I don't need to purchase thousands of dollars on software. The only thing I need is a comfy keyboard, mouse, big screen and an OS capable of real multitasking with an accessible filesystem. The iPad doesn't have any of this, I'm sorry.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Happens all the time the large investors scare up the market by having bloated analyst forecasts and amplifying any bad news that is around so that the price falls while all the time they are quietly buying up stock at reduced price, then there will be the announcement of a good quarters sales and unsurprisingly the price will begin to recover. The large investors then start dumping back to the market and take their profits. Apple's fundamentals haven't changed so there will be a rebound at some point. How well a company is doing is only one aspect of its share price, most of it is smoke and mirrors aimed at pumping money from small investors pockets into the large institutions pockets.

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
can't understand how the stock market works.
all i see is a great lineup for the holiday and the stock plummet :confused:

Of course Apple has many underlying flaws that could lead to the desintegration of the company in the longer run. As a historian it reminds me somewhat of what happened after the death of Alexander the Great. In the beginning his trustees tried to hold his empire together but personal rivalry lead to the breaking up of his empire.

Actually a similar thing is going on at Apple right now. They might try to hide it from the public, but I'm pretty sure this internal power struggle is far from over. Eventually I think it will lead to the resignation of Tim Cooke. I can remember that I wrote on this forum that with the departure of Mansfield it was the first sign to me that there was something not sitting right at Apple.

Personally I think Apple is evolving in a clueless direction. An ultrathin iMac, the point being? As a professional user it irritates me that a company with 120 billion cash is not capable to deliver a professional machine on par with current competition. Other indications to me are the strange decisions surrounding the iPad 4 launch (why keep iPad2 in the line up?), the very disappointing iOS6 and strange decisions keeping software options back from devices (like iOS6 from iPad 1) in order to stimulate sales.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Billions per year..please. Btw what would a real professional do with an iPad? That's right, nada.

Depends on what that professional does, some could get by, and did, for many years with an ultralight laptop and a blackberry. Where as some need kit that wouldn't even fit under a desk. For some an iPad is a very useful thing for others useless you can't make sweeping generalisations like this.

SirLance99

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
[/COLOR]Your experience.

Mine is different. I have both the iPhone 4S and Samsung Skyrocket. I find them both the same in usability. Both have their up and downsides. Neither one is "superior" to the other - as that is PURELY subjective.

I'm not lying to myself. Is that what you're really going to accuse anyone with an Android phone of?

Absolutely. When it comes to the average consumer experience there is no contest. iOS is simpler, more intuitive, full of quality apps and overall a pleasure to use. Period.

It may not have all the bells and whistles that Android has... like "animated" backgrounds etc but they are battery drainers and mostly unusable a day after you try them out.

There is a reason WHY Apple has the #1 customer satisfaction of ALL smartphone users. It works and works well.

Geeks don't make up the demographic of iPhone users. Not even close.

Take your "spin" to the 9to5Android forums. Sir.

That's funny, because when the iPhone 5 came out I've never had more people return it for the S3 or just buy the S3 first. With the iPhone 4/4S people bought them no matter what. Now not so much.

Yes the 5 is selling well, but so are other phones mostly S3. For you to say EVERYONE who buys a Android phone is lying to themselves is a a horrible way to live and treat others.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Uhm you need to step out of the reality distortion field.

Fact: with an iPad it's easy to send simple mails, browse the web, calendar and maybe to present something. But that's about it.

Fact: As a software developer you can consider me a 'professional' but I don't need to purchase thousands of dollars on software. The only thing I need is a comfy keyboard, mouse, big screen and an OS capable of real multitasking with an accessible filesystem. The iPad doesn't have any of this, I'm sorry.

I'm not in a distortion field of any type. You're just up on your high horse thinking that only people like you, that need desktop computers, qualify as professionals. Yes, there's a lot of jobs that require that type of computer. And there's a lot that don't. Our sales department isn't spending all their time behind a desk with a computer. They're out doing their jobs, mostly using mobile devices to do the tasks they need to do. They're still professionals. Doctors and people in the medical profession don't need an iPad to perform an exam or surgery, of course...but having one to take notes on, to show a patient how a procedure will work, etc.? Very useful. So don't tell me I'm in a reality distortion field. Some professionals need desktop computers for their everyday work. Some don't. Neither is better than the other.

A computer, whether a powerful desktop computer or an iPad, is a tool to help you get a job done. You pick the tool that's most appropriate. Just because it isn't appropriate for your profession doesn't mean it isn't for others. Lose the high and mighty attitude.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
can't understand how the stock market works.
all i see is a great lineup for the holiday and the stock plummet :confused:

It goes like this: Everyone has huge, unrealistic expectations before Apple launches XXX product. The product is released. It doesn't have redesigned this or overhauled that or whatever, so the product is apparently a failure = Tons of people sell Apple stock.

...Then when the sales turn out to be record breaking everyone buys again :D

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
"Woes"?

I wish I had woes like Apple. Billions in profit per quarter. Great-selling products and services across several markets (phone, tablet, personal computer, cloud services, mobile software store, music & video store.) Perhaps the greatest brand of them all. Millions of 'fans' who'll wait for the Apple offering before considering anything else (unless it REALLY sucks). $120 billion+ in the bank.

Of course, the share price is based on growth rather than its current status; and Apple can't grow indefinitely (though sometimes it seems that way).

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Tell me what 'fresh' products you think they should have. Only thing I can think of is the TV...because right now...they've got everything else covered.

There is only so much you can innovate every few years if even at that.

We had the iPod & iTunes in early 2000s, the iPhone in 2007 and the iPad in 2010. That's pretty amazing and staggering consider how it literally changed 3 industries literally overnight.

iPod/iTunes changed music forever
iPhone changed mobile forever
iPad changed PCs forever

No other company can lay claim to this. Yet for some reason they aren't innovative enough. They've changed the size and weight of the laptop, the size and weight of the all in one PC, etc.

So other then the TV, you are not going to see something 'new'...because there isn't really much else they can change up in the world.

So are you too convinced that the stock is set for an inevitable and steep decline? I would tend to disagree. I think it is poised to go up sharply due to PE decompression. What goes up must come down.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apples stock is just fine. Many tend to forget the basic premise of the stock market as a long term investment vehicle. Ups & downs are all part of the territory. It's the name "Apple" that grabs headlines. Combine that with a downward trend & it's obvious why the blogosphere is buzzing.

badmac78

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Atlanta
pontifications

There is a lot of headline grabbing work being done these days. As far as I know, Apple is the only company that has refreshed it's entire line of hardware (save the mac pro) and introduced two new operating systems (OS 10.8 & iOS 6) in one year. And it's not because they are trying to revamp their strategy or position.

There are commissions to be made on trades and the raw value of the trade itself. Don't forget options that are probably all over the map on Apple Stock.

Apple's focus has never been to be #1 (the media is driving the #1 vs #2 discussion). Apple wants to be the best a completely different strategy. They have fired people to ensure they are the best. This strategy has served them over the longhaul. I see no value in analysts pontifications. They are just that and no more.

If Apple can do all that change in their products in 2012, imagine what 2013 will be like? :eek:

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
The tablet and smartphone markets are becoming commoditized and competition is brutal. We saw the same thing in the mid 80s when cheap PCs flooded the market.

Also, there are a lot of pent up sellers sitting on huge gains that have been waiting for the peak. As they sell, the price goes down, triggering more stop loss selling etc.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The bottom line is Apple needs some good news. When is the last time Apple had good news? The US Samsung trial outcome? And even that's not necessarily good news (Samsung could still appeal and win, Apple is perceived as an anti-competitive bully). It's all bad news, all the time for Apple now.

They are hemorrhaging market share in both phones and tablets and it doesn't look like that's going to stop anytime soon (the $329 price tag on the iPad Mini is not going to help that). They have allowed Samsung to climb up to and play on their level, they are no longer the uncontested top dog. Part of this is Samsung's enormous marketing campaign, I can't remember a recent commercial block on television in the last 3-6 months where there wasn't at least one Samsung commercial. Apple isn't answering this assault. They are still playing cute but boring commercials while Samsung is repeatedly hammering them in the face with a lead pipe.

The market share slip is going to have more consequences. For example, for years Apple has kept the carriers like AT&T and Verizon in control because the iPhone was the hot item everyone must have. Now, even if Apple products are still good, there are legitimate choices for people. How long before those carriers don't really need Apple anymore and begin to reassert control, leading to smaller subsidies?

I really hope Apple gets its mojo back but right now they really appear to be the company that is back on its heels in a defensive stance or, at best, are oblivious to what is happening. They need to get a little bit of an edge and fight back. I hope Jony Ive is going to shake things up, but that's going to take time, I doubt we'll see tangible results for a year or more. And a year is a long time.

Sure, a lot of what's happening to Apple stock isn't fair, it's based on perceptions and assumptions, and probably some market manipulation as well. But that's the world we live in, Apple needs to figure out how to turn that perception back around because they are very quickly beginning to look like the "old" tech company, you know, the one that used to be cool but lost its way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.