Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in June, one of the founders of the "Modbook" project to develop an OS X tablet based on the internals of a MacBook, announced that he was bringing back the concept with a new Modbook Pro product scheduled for launch in late 2012.

modbook_pro_2012-500x305.jpg
Pre-orders for the Modbook Pro, which starts at $3499, went live in early October with a launch target of mid-November. With the release timeframe now approaching and Modbook seeing strong customer response, the company has announced upgraded specs for the Modbook Pro, with all pre-order customers receiving a free upgrade to the new base specs. The launch of the Modbook Pro is also now targeted for late this month.
Beginning immediately, we're doubling the pen pressure levels on the Modbook Pro from 512 to 1,024. At 1,024 levels, the Modbook Pro -- which sports a state-of-the-art Wacom Penabled pen tablet digitizer -- will now have four times the industry standard of 256 for pen-based tablets!

This dramatic enhancement in pen capability will give Modbook Pro users extraordinarily precise and subtle control of renderings and underscores the Modbook Pro's usefulness as a portable content-creation platform.
In addition to the improved pen capabilities, the base Modbook Pro will also see a RAM boost from 4 GB to 8 GB and a solid-state drive boost from 64 GB to 120 GB using a faster asynchronous drive.

The Modbook Pro starts at $3499 and can be configured with additional processor, RAM, and storage options.

Article Link: Modbook Pro Gains Pen, SSD, and RAM Upgrades Ahead of Launch

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
If u had the money its pretty cool tho, might be a tad heavy for a tablet thats what id be more worried about.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I stopped reading after $3,500. Da f! And people complain about a $329 price...! 3,500 is ridiculous!

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Odd comments. This isn't supposed to replace your ipad people. This is for artists who use Wacom drawing tablets. A different market.

Although if someone would just invent a half decent stylist for the Ipad, we might be able to work around this for much cheaper. :)

Stotka

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
I look at this product as a cintiq on the go with an os that can do anything. For that its the best device. Its not supposed to replace your ipad or mbp.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Odd comments. This isn't supposed to replace your ipad people. This is for artists who use Wacom drawing tablets. A different market.

Although if someone would just invent a half decent stylist for the Ipad, we might be able to work around this for much cheaper. :)

i dont agree with that. my wacom digitiser in my phone isnt just for artists

EmpireITtech

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I think if the Microsoft Surface Pro does well, Apple will go down this path as well...some people like the full OS for what they want

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
why? i like my ipad but its not a macbook replacement for me. This is both.

Except that it's really neither. Too big to be a great tablet, too small to be a great laptop.

This is for the very narrow segment of the market that needs a digitizer built into a powerful OSx tablet.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Not really sure why they even bother. It never took off even before the iPad and now with the iPad out, there is little that it can do better. At that price they're going to have a very hard time getting buyers. Might be time to just call it quits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.