Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmpireITtech

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Samsung's newest phone is selling more than Apple's old phone? INCREDIBLE NEWS!!

:rolleyes:

Well their cycles aren't inline so you will always kinda have to do that bc you can't compare the iPhone5 to the S3 either by that logic

Cwrkr

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
Its a better phone

Fact is the Samsung is a better phone. It just doesn't have the mystique!

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
right because retailers seem to love stockpiling units of unsold S3 on their shelves.

it's probably a strange fetish. :rolleyes:

since they hate stockpiling units on shelves, they will apply heavy discounts to clear their shelves. now those numbers are actual sales but anyone can be #1 if you give your product away so that's not a real number either.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Get a Nexus phone. They're better anyways.

THought about it, but ultimately went with the iPhone 5.

IMO if they don't do something drastic once my next upgrade comes along I might make the switch just to see. Or maybe buy a used one to try it out.

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
"Shipped" doesn't equal "Sold". I can walk into any carrier and buy a Galaxy SIII. Not so with the iPhone. Apple sells them as fast as they can make them.

Apple reports how many devices that they actually SELL to the end user.

Samsung (and others) keep reporting what they SHIP not what was actually SOLD to the end user Why? This skews public perception into thinking that their products are in much higher demand than they actually are.

MacRumors knows this. Link bait.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
You might want to read this to get a CLUE

For example, in December 2010, the first quarter Samsung’s tablet launched, it announced it had sold 1 million units worldwide. According to court documents AllThingsD and CNET published yesterday, Samsung sold 262,000 in the U.S. Back in December 2010, it was reported that 100,000 Tabs were sold in Samsung’s home market in South Korea. But even at the time we wondered where the rest of the 900,000 sales were going. If 262,000 were in the U.S., that leaves more than 600,000 sales unaccounted for. And if they weren’t selling in the U.S., the world’s largest tablet market, well, where did they go?

The discrepancy in numbers occurs again in the second quarter of 2012. A research report from IDC last week showed Samsung sold 2.3 million Galaxy Tabs worldwide. The court documents show that in the U.S., between April and June, Samsung sold 37,000 units. (Yes, there was an injunction issued on sales of the Tab 10.1, but it wasn’t until the very end of the quarter.)

Is it possible that a tablet that’s not selling well in the U.S. is thriving and selling millions outside the country? Sure. But the more likely explanation boils down to the problem with reporting numbers of products shipped versus sold. It comes up over and over again. Does selling to a retailer count as “sold” if the product sits on a shelf in a store instead of in the hands of a customer?

So, if Samsung products do not sell how would one explain the fact that in the same Q3 Samsung had almost as high profits as Apple? There are too many factors that negate your argument even to bother to list them here. They've been provided many times on this forum before. Just admit it - Samsung did it. For a long time people were saying that the reason why Samsung sells twice as many smart phones a s Apple is because they have so many models. But iPhone still was and always would be the most popular phone model. Well, not anymore. And sure, iPhone 5 will beat SGSIII in Q4 but then Samsung will come on top again.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
since they hate stockpiling units on shelves, they will apply heavy discounts to clear their shelves. now those numbers are actual sales but anyone can be #1 if you give your product away so that's not a real number either.

Please, tell me where they are giving away Galaxy SIII

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Some claim they've had bad experiences but never get specific. That's often the sign of a story teller just randomly bashing, to justify their preference for another brand.

My iPhone 4S has been the best iPhone for me, to date. My iPhone 5 sits on the shelf, it's uninteresting & too buggy. I'm maintaining a positive outlook that Apple will make the next iPhone reflect their very best efforts. I've been an Apple user for too long to believe the iP5 is anything else but a placeholder.

"uninteresting" is just an opinion so that's fine.

but "buggy"? now it's your turn to get specific.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
"Shipped" doesn't equal "Sold". I can walk into any carrier and buy a Galaxy SIII. Not so with the iPhone. Apple sells them as fast as they can make them.

Samsung (and others) keep reporting what they SHIP not what was actually SOLD to the end user Why? This skews public perception into thinking that their products are in much higher demand than they actually are.

Well the S3 has been out since May.....

Make that argument in 5 months when the iPhone 5 has been out that long.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

You missed the point that in Q3 SGSIII sold more than iPhone 4S (iPhone 5 sales just started in Q3 and they were not significant). Are you going to argue that you could not buy iPhone 4S in Q3?

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
So Galaxy S III isn't selling because the HP touchpad didn't sell because the GalaxyTab didn't sell well.
Only on MacRumors would we see such ******* crazy reasoning. :cool:

I salute you (whilst awaiting my Galaxy S III firesale). I'ts coming soon right?

EDIT: How long until ET on the Atari 2600 is bought into this argument? :D

I think he was using that as a demonstrable example of items shipped vs. sold. As such, his reasoning is sound..

FWIW, I think the SIII is great. I loove the huge screen, but I really like iOS as a platform and I don't find Android quite as smooth (but it's getting there) and with a bit of a learning curve, comparatively speaking.

Regardless, I find it an excellent alternative for those not married to Apple's ecosystem.

RenoGuy

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2012
Using the (flawed) Apple-haters' logic, all these people flocking to the Samsung Galaxy S III are one or more of the following:
  • Sheeple;
  • Drones;
  • Stupid people easily fooled by marketing;
  • Kool-Aid drinkers.

Unfortunately your reasons for "flocking" to a Galaxy III apply just as much as to Apple Iphones!

Personally for a phone, I would choose a Galaxy II (as in 2) over the III OR any Iphone!

I guess I am a rare person that has no real need to use my phone for entertainment (that's why I own a high end entertainment center!) and 2 spare computers (one of them is an Imac!, One is a Windoz 7 PC, the final being a Linux Customized PC) ) + an Android tablet (More for my $$ even though I would have to "operate on it" to do so (Change the battery that is!)!

To make it clear, I am NOT an Apple hater nor an Android lover! I simply buy what works for whatever the Situation at hand! I have to be really careful with Apple since they DO make some really cool devices mixed in with their necessity items. Phone wise RIGHT NOW, THE Android Galaxy II (bought 2 wks ago- better deal than the III) IF Apple were to make a phone that had a user replaceable battery, I would have purchased that product!

SellYourMacBook

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
It is sad that a company can steal, copy, practically counterfeit another's supposedly patented, protected ideas.

That the court system is so slow to respond and consumers have such poor memory that after a few years delay folks think the way Apple did it is the only way it could have been done.

Sad that the court systems are ineffective at stopping such a mimicking company.

Sad that such an unethical company is so effective at manipulating public opinion to make itself look like the victim while stealing every idea Apple has.

Sad that folks don't notice the massive advertising campaign waged and its effectiveness at changing public opinion. Many Apple "news" articles bracketed with Galaxy S3 ads.

Sad that particularly folks in the US are so encouraging of a company who's claim to fame is dirty cheap development and manufacturing. Lets all root for the overseas low wage company that copies Apple's designs. That will somehow be good for everyone long term. Apple iPhone 5 sales alone were expected to materially affect US GDP. The US technology leadership will wane. NASDAQ was being held up by Apple.

I think all the anti-Apple talk is being effective and will curtail demand for Apple products. Can't wait for Samsung to develop their own operating system for phones, tablets and even PCs. Can't wait to buy my silver painted plastic MacBooksung.

Nicely stated

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You missed the point that in Q3 SGSIII sold more than iPhone 4S (iPhone 5 sales just started in Q3 and they were not significant). Are you going to argue that you could not buy iPhone 4S in Q3?

You missed the point that in Q3 the S3 was estimated to have shipped more than the iPhone 4S.

EmpireITtech

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012

But the S3 has been out since before summer....and yes, Samsung has the infrastructure to produce more phones than Apple

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I think he was using that as a demonstrable example of items shipped vs. sold. As such, his reasoning is sound..

FWIW, I think the SIII is great. I loove the huge screen, but I really like iOS as a platform and I don't find Android quite as smooth (but it's getting there) and with a bit of a learning curve, comparatively speaking.

Regardless, I find it an excellent alternative for those not married to Apple's ecosystem.

But the report compared shipped numbers for both Apple and Samsung. Not all iPhones are sold by Apple directly. They ship a lot of their products to WalMart, Target etc. too and this is the only number that really makes sense. The number of phones directly sold by Apple would be much smaller.

----------

You missed the point that in Q3 the S3 was estimated to have shipped more than the iPhone 4S.

Do you have better estimates? Anybody else does? Are you trying to say that there is a conspiracy? Why do you think AAPL stock is falling like a rock?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
It is sad that a company can steal, copy, practically counterfeit another's supposedly patented, protected ideas.

That the court system is so slow to respond and consumers have such poor memory that after a few years delay folks think the way Apple did it is the only way it could have been done.

Sad that the court systems are ineffective at stopping such a mimicking company.

Sad that such an unethical company is so effective at manipulating public opinion to make itself look like the victim while stealing every idea Apple has.

Sad that folks don't notice the massive advertising campaign waged and its effectiveness at changing public opinion. Many Apple "news" articles bracketed with Galaxy S3 ads.

Sad that particularly folks in the US are so encouraging of a company who's claim to fame is dirty cheap development and manufacturing. Lets all root for the overseas low wage company that copies Apple's designs. That will somehow be good for everyone long term. Apple iPhone 5 sales alone were expected to materially affect US GDP. The US technology leadership will wane. NASDAQ was being held up by Apple.

I think all the anti-Apple talk is being effective and will curtail demand for Apple products. Can't wait for Samsung to develop their own operating system for phones, tablets and even PCs. Can't wait to buy my silver painted plastic MacBooksung.

If you add 30.000 words it can be a good alternative history book

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Fact is the Samsung is a better phone. It just doesn't have the mystique!

This is an opinion, not a fact. Just like saying the iPhone is better is an opinion. It all comes down to personal preference. You may like it better, but that doesn't make it a fact.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

It just seems (to me) to be a tad absurd to compare the two situations.

The HP Touchpad was a premium device based on a relatively unknown/untested platform with average reviews sold in a market where the iPad was dominating.
The Galaxy S III is a high end, flagship Android handset which had favourable reviews and is running a rather well known, popular platform where it is very competitive with high end BlackBerrys, iPhones and Windows Phones.

If the Galaxy S III was in danger of being hit by a firesale any minute, the comparison would have been very apt but I can't put HP Toucpad and the GS3's situations together.

Yes, analysts do get things wrong, very wrong but how does this stoop to PlayBook/Touchpad/GalaxyTab failure levels? I just don't know..... :)

I don't disagree with you at all there. It is a fine device but I switched back to the Galaxy Nexus. I just prefer the faster updates and the stock Android experience. :cool:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

Have not you noticed the massive Apple advertising campaign that has been going on since they released iPod?

And as far as "dirty" and "cheap" manufacturing is concerned, it's much cheaper in dirtier in case of iPhone. All iPhones are assembled in China. At least some SGSIIIs are assembled in South Korea (much higher wages than in China). All iPhone components come from Samsung or China manufacturers - so iPhone has "dirtier" and "cheaper" components than Samsung phones. And in both cases the software comes from USA company (Apple vs Google). With your line of thoughts I am surprised you bought Apple product.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
But the report compared shipped numbers for both Apple and Samsung. Not all iPhones are sold by Apple directly. They ship a lot of their products to WalMart, Target etc. too and this is the only number that really makes sense. The number of phones directly sold by Apple would be much smaller.

That's not true. As I explained earlier, Apple was decreasing their channel inventory for the iPhone 4S during the quarter in anticipation of the iPhone 5 launch, so they actually sold more than they shipped.

On the other hand, Samsung was increasing their channel inventory for the S3 during the quarter, so they actually sold less than they shipped.

Do you have better estimates? Anybody else does?

No, but that doesn't make them correct, nor does it make shipments equal to sales.

Are trying to say that there is a conspiracy theory?

Nope, all I'm saying is that shipments aren't sales and estimates aren't always accurate. Common sense. I do think it's odd that SA's estimates mean that they believe almost 5 million iPhone 4's or iPhone 3GS's were shipped in Q3. Seems high.

Why do you think AAPL stock is falling like a rock?

Because of concerns over their drop in margins and management changes among many other factors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.