Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
My Mac Pro 4,1 2.66 quad seems to be resetting it's PRAM on it's own lately. Recently I turned it on and most of my settings had been set back to default (Mouse, etc...) And it seems that all the cookies were removed from my browsers. Is this possible or do I have computer gremlins? It's running the latest version of OS X 10.7

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My Mac Pro 4,1 2.66 quad seems to be resetting it's PRAM on it's own lately. Recently I turned it on and most of my settings had been set back to default (Mouse, etc...) And it seems that all the cookies were removed from my browsers. Is this possible or do I have computer gremlins? It's running the latest version of OS X 10.7
PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with your mouse or cookies in your browser.

About NVRAM and PRAM

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Hmm perhaps I was mistaken, I thought it contained mouse settings among others. Maybe the SMC was reset?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm aware, hence why I'm confused about why my settings and cookies are disappearing.
Which browser and version are you using?
Have you tried resetting it, clearing your cache and cookies?
What browser add-ons, plug-ins or extensions are you using?
Can you be more specific about what mouse settings have changed?
What kind of mouse do you have?
Are you using any mouse configuration software?

How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
And don't forget we have just been updated to a new version of Safari... isn't it a little likely that Safari updates might clear cache and cookies?

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Which browser and version are you using?
Have you tried resetting it, clearing your cache and cookies?
What browser add-ons, plug-ins or extensions are you using?
Can you be more specific about what mouse settings have changed?
What kind of mouse do you have?
Are you using any mouse configuration software?

How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

I use Firefox and Chrome, both the latest versions for Mac (I'm not near my MP so I can't give exact versions). Only extensions I'm using are the StumbleUpon bar and PDF Viewer for Firefox. Haven't checked Safari because I don't use it and don't have any bookmarks or cookies in that browser.

I'm using a Magic Mouse. Mouse settings went completely back to default, i.e. Tracking speed, scrolling direction, multi-touch gestures, etc... This all occurred on a fresh boot, I typically shut my MP down at night and during the days that I'm not working at home.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just the once so far, I've let it sleep since and it hasn't recurred.
I would try restarting again. If it doesn't happen again, I would write it off to a fluke and wouldn't worry about it. If it does happen again, it merits more troubleshooting.

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
I would try restarting again. If it doesn't happen again, I would write it off to a fluke and wouldn't worry about it. If it does happen again, it merits more troubleshooting.

Sounds good. I haven't shut it down because I didn't want it to happen again, but I'll restart it later tonight and see what happens.

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Just a quick update, I've restarted it a few times since yesterday and it hasn't happened again. Must have just been a fluke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.