Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exino

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
So it's been a few days and people have had a chance to play around with device and cover at the same time. Anyone returning or returned their smart cover for their iPad Mini? I find mine much easier to hold without the cover, but that might just be me.

Some people have also talked about it not laying flat (like my own), and even leaving marks/stains on the back of their devices.

So, are you going to keep it, or is there something better on the horizon? I'm not buying one of those 3" thick Folio cases, defeats the purpose.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I was thinking about returning my smart cover as I find it more annoying than helpful (esp at $40!). I detest sleeves for phones but was thinking a sleeve would be the perfect "case" for the mini. Gonna keep an eye out.

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I don't love my Smart Cover, but I don't dislike it enough to actually return it. It does leave two lines on my screen where the micro fiber doesn't touch. I'll buy a few cases and test them out. My guess is I'll end up preferring the cases.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
I returned mine after 2 days. Decided I'd rather just get a case for some grip and with a little bit of lip to protect the glass if it goes face down.

Exino

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
I was thinking about returning my smart cover as I find it more annoying than helpful (esp at $40!). I detest sleeves for phones but was thinking a sleeve would be the perfect "case" for the mini. Gonna keep an eye out.

Yeah, I was thinking of going the sleeve route as well, just haven't seen any come out yet, but by the time they do my return period on my Smart Cover will be over anyway. Price aside, it's not a terrible accessory, I'm just not convinced it's the best (especially if it leaves marks, besides the grease lines).

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I probably have 15 cases for my ipads over the years, all the way from wood portentzo type to leather folios and the like. I still always come back to the smart cover/hardshell back combo that locks the smartcover on. It travels better than any case so far and slides into briefs and messenger bags better than any other case. It will lie flat in time, keep it clean and it will not leave marks. I like the poly hinge better than the metal hinge, as it will not mark the ipad like the metal hinge. I do think it is overpriced at $39 and should be $29.

My plan is to run a dark grey smartcover and clear back with black CF stripes on the cover, from icarbons.com

But if I am doing business and not traveling, a folio is my choice - from Incipio or Spiegen.

Last edited:

kingalien

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2010
Earth
Didn't even bother with the Smart Cover. If it was leather for $39 I would have bought one, but for a poly, never at that price.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I might return it. The fact that it doesn't really fit well (when it's closed if you hold the iPad in one hand the cover bows up since it kind of hangs over the edges) plus the way it slops around due to the poly "hinge" makes me less than thrilled with it.

I don't like cases or anything like that, I really just wanted something so I could keep the screen protected when not in use (I don't like screen protectors so that's out) so maybe I'll get a sleeve. I'm not really concerned about protecting the back since I've never scratched any of my other iPads.

Plus, $39...really :apple:? C'mon...

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I might return it. The fact that it doesn't really fit well (when it's closed if you hold the iPad in one hand the cover bows up since it kind of hangs over the edges) plus the way it slops around due to the poly "hinge" makes me less than thrilled with it.

I don't like cases or anything like that, I really just wanted something so I could keep the screen protected when not in use (I don't like screen protectors so that's out) so maybe I'll get a sleeve. I'm not really concerned about protecting the back since I've never scratched any of my other iPads.

Plus, $39...really :apple:? C'mon...

Smart Cover manufacturing cost - under $1.00. Retail $39.99. No one should support such an excessive price ... that's Apple arrogantly fleecing customers.

Vote with your wallet, buy something else.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Smart Cover manufacturing cost - under $1.00. Retail $39.99. No one should support such an excessive price ... that's Apple arrogantly fleecing customers.

Vote with your wallet, buy something else.

Yep. Bought one and returned it the same day. Not worth it.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I returned mine after 2 days. Decided I'd rather just get a case for some grip and with a little bit of lip to protect the glass if it goes face down.

Did you need the original packaging to return the smart case? The associate at the apple store threw mine away when I was setting up the Pad mini in the store. I want to return mine and get a case that provide all around coverage.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Did you need the original packaging to return the smart case? The associate at the apple store threw mine away when I was setting up the Pad mini in the store. I want to return mine and get a case that provide all around coverage.

Yeah I believe you do.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I'm keeping mine, although it's not as good as I wish it was, especially for the price. But it's still the best compromise I've found.

It does slag a bit, and it's 1 or 2 mm too wide. It leaves mark, not on the back, but on the screen :eek: but they're not that noticeable.

It's also pretty (I got the pink one, and find it pretty fun), thin, and most of all unobtrusive. I don't like cases.

I may change for something else in a few weeks/months when the manufacturers get it right :p

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale

I returned a creme color smartcover last year at the ft lauderdale store with no packaging. I just had my email receipt from buying it.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I returned a creme color smartcover last year at the ft lauderdale store with no packaging. I just had my email receipt from buying it.

Glad to here it. Mine is going back. I saw a survivor case I might get but I would really prefer a nice, classy folio style case.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Keeping mini. I don't like bulky cases, and the smart case doesn't had much weight. And actually I have hard time holding the mini without the case. I have though ordered a slip cover from Etsy for travel purposes.

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA

I had mine, and put it right back in the original packaging, but I don't know honestly...

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
I'll be returning mine as well. Just, meh. I wish they released the smart case for it instead of just the cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.