Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Hey guys, title says it all:

Should I play BL2 if I didn't play the first one? Is it worth spending money on the first at this point, or just go right to 2?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Borderlands 2 has loads of references to BL1. Many of the same NPCs and the story is a continuation of the first.

However you can play 2 first, but it will spoil 1 a bit.

Borderlands 1 is a wonderful game, so I'd play that first.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I never got into the first game, didn't like the environments that much. But I'm playing through BL2 now and loving it, it just seems a lot more varied and confident of itself.

You can definitely play and enjoy BL2 without playing the first, yeah.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I never got into the first game, didn't like the environments that much. But I'm playing through BL2 now and loving it, it just seems a lot more varied and confident of itself.

You can definitely play and enjoy BL2 without playing the first, yeah.

Same with me. I played borderlands 1 up until level 15 and then stopped.

On level 25 on borderlands 2 and loving it more. One of my favorite parts of it is playing through campaign with three of my buddies, makes for a really fun experience. I think that's why I like it more than BL1

combo

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
Definitely have to agree with everyone. Go pick up BL2.

Don't let not playing BL1 stop you from playing BL2. There is some overlap between stories, but the BL2 story will stand on its own. And it's just a whole lot of fun and mayhem if you don't care much about the story.

I love both BL1 and BL2 and would recommend grabbing BL1 on the cheap.

I'm just getting into coop online play and loving it. Playing with other people (randoms or friends) makes it way more fun.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
If you want to know the full story, playing BL1 first is good. If you don't care that much then just start with 2. You might not understand some of the finer points of the BL2 story without playing BL1 first, but honestly the game is about guns, not story. You can likely find a story summary on a wiki somewhere. You might not understand a joke or two but it's not that big of a deal.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
you'll be fine. They do a good job of making sure those that didn't play the first game don't get left behind.

Brass Monkey

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
BL2 on Mac?

This thread seems to be the closest to my question, hopefully one of you can help. I have a legitimate copy of Borderlands 2 for Windows, and I had failed at installing a wrapper on the most recent version of Wine. I installed the files to the virtual C drive (drive_C), and was wondering if any of you had any other way/ help to run the Windows version without having to dual boot on my Macbook. I'm running OSX Mountain Lion (10.8.2), if that's any help.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
This thread seems to be the closest to my question, hopefully one of you can help. I have a legitimate copy of Borderlands 2 for Windows, and I had failed at installing a wrapper on the most recent version of Wine. I installed the files to the virtual C drive (drive_C), and was wondering if any of you had any other way/ help to run the Windows version without having to dual boot on my Macbook. I'm running OSX Mountain Lion (10.8.2), if that's any help.

It's out in 11 days for Mac. It's Steamplay enabled too so you won't have to rebuy it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.