Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
This is considerably trivial for the MR front page.

When they posted it, sure. But now that they've just tweaked it? Put it on Page 2. Old news and nobody cares.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Steve Jobs was a decent man, he wouldn't be playing with things like that. Apple is becoming a joke.

Steve Jobs would have told them where to put their order.

The man refused to use a license plate, sped everywhere he went and parked in handicapped spaces. (yes, even when he wasn't sick)

He would have read that order, hit delete, and moved on with his work.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
The Judge isn't treating Apple like a child by giving this order .....

When brand reputation is a MASSIVE part of your business model then it needs to be protected.

And a small little blurb at the bottom of a web site, which practically nobody will read, will help Samsung's brand reputation?

Seriously?

The blurb is just undue punishment - childish behavior by the judge. He's trying to humiliate Apple, which is not what law is all about. It's like forcing someone to wear a sign around their neck that they did something illegal.

Usually that's only done as a deterrent to others committing crimes. Is Apple's little blurb supposed to be a deterrent to others not to file lawsuits?

forgotmyhandle

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Earth
Change the subject

Here we are discussing Apple's compliance with a court order. Can you spot what we are not discussing?

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

The man refused to use a license plate, sped everywhere he went and parked in handicapped spaces. (yes, even when he wasn't sick)

Just like when he was told what treatment to get, look how that ended up for him.

(not trying to be a ****, just its a pretty big example)

Last edited:

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
And a small little blurb at the bottom of a web site, which practically nobody will read, will help Samsung's brand reputation?

Seriously?

The blurb is just undue punishment - childish behavior by the judge. He's trying to humiliate Apple, which is not what law is all about. It's like forcing someone to wear a sign around their neck that they did something illegal.

Usually that's only done as a deterrent to others committing crimes. Is Apple's little blurb supposed to be a deterrent to others not to file lawsuits?

No

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
It was supposed to be a some short note nobody would even bother to read, now it blew up to page 1 news. Good job Apple, you managed to turn a trivial punishment into a PR disaster.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
You guys might not think its related but I dont think stuff like this and stories about AAPL dropping 20% is unrelated. Public perception of Apple is changing. And not for the good. (I Still think there is money to be made and bad press to change but Apple has to change first)

Apple has always been seen as a strange company. To give you a few examples, my father (who also lives in the UK and is a UK citizen) works for a large American restaurant chain, and as part of working for them he's issued with a mobile phone and a laptop - he was told to pick one, tell them the one he was going for, and then to order it with the company credit card.

The company said "We recommend you get this Dell XYZ123 laptop as we've had good reports on it". It was around £1200 to buy. My dad came back and said "Actually, I'd rather get the 13" MacBook Air - its cheaper and will perform better."

Do you know the response he got? "Oh you cant have an Apple - it's a luxury item - we cant allow you to have that".

How stupid is that?

Then there was his phone. The company made everyone get a blackberry. Within a month several people had bought an iPhone out of their own pocket and started using them. When the company found out - they BANNED the use of iPhones as they felt it "gave the company a negative elitist image".

There's also the stigma of owning an Apple product. In the UK it's seen by many as having too much money to spend, or being a bit snobby.

People do see Apple products as VERY limited in what they can do though - and in a lot of ways, they are correct.

For me personally, I buy Apple products because they do what I want them to, but I'd switch to another product instantly if I felt that the Apple product was no good anymore.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

If you think Apple wouldn't had followed a court order with Jobs as CEO you're delusional

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Now they need to release a statement that the iPad Mini is a copy of the Nexus 7.

When I saw it I was so confused ! I said to my wife " Is that a Nexus 7 ?"

I cant tell them apart.

I thought it was my BlackBerry PlayBook! :eek:

kdarling

macrumors P6
A judge ordering a company to post a message like this is simply punishing them for exercising their rights. Losing the case (and all the financial issues that accompany that) should be enough.

The apology didn't result from losing the design judgement. It resulted from Apple continuing to make false statements inferring that other courts had found Samsung to be infringing and that their products were under injunction.

There were so many things they could've said that were truthful, and which would exercise their freedom of speech (such as the part where they did quote the judge), but they chose not to use facts alone.

This judge is sending a message, and it says: Don't sue people, don't try to protect your property. If you lose, not only will you lose the case, but you'll be publicly shamed for even trying.

See a previous post. Apple had asked that if they won, Samsung should have to make a public apology. That demand alone made it perfectly fair for Apple to suffer the same fate.

Is Apple's little blurb supposed to be a deterrent to others not to file lawsuits?

The apology had nothing to do with the lawsuit. It was about what they said afterwards. See above.

I think many people are posting with an incomplete knowledge of the case. These people also have an inherent fairness. Once they know the facts, they realize that Apple did most (if not all) of this to themselves.

One gets the feeling that Apple doesn't realize yet that their shields (aka Jobs' RDF) are permanently down and they can't get away with childish behavior any more, as cute as it is. They are now expected to act like a company with an adult at the helm.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I don't see what the big deal is, just scroll down to see it, that's what I did..

You're acting like they put a big black box over the link so you couldn't click it or see it...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
As Apple pointed out other courts of law ruled in Apple's favour..

As pointed out before, that was a blatant lie on the part of Apple. No courts have ruled that Samsung infringed the Community design '607 or its US design patent equivalent, D'889.

None, nada. Not a single court. Anywhere.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
There was nothing wrong with what apple did. They just put a quote that the judge said over the court order... I fail to see anything wrong with that. Freedom of speech, for the win.

I agree... You certainly do fail to see what's wrong with that.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I agree... You certainly do fail to see what's wrong with that.

What was wrong was the part where it said "other courts have found Samsung to infringe". That part was a blatant lie as far as the IP here is concerned. No courts have found such a thing, not even the US California court.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
when I read some (the majority) of comments on these story's on Mac Rumors, I genuinely feel annoyed that the Judge didn't flex his powers and use his right to ban the sale of Apple products in the UK, and then fine them.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be reading pathetic comments stating the judge and his ruling was childish by people who have NO clue about the case and the reason behind this ruling, if he did.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Amazing how many people on here commenting never followed the trial or even understand why Apple is in the wrong here. Seriously people must have more common sense then this.

----------

evidently not clear enough.

I assumed apple would be professional about the ruling, instead they opted for the cool douchbag. Sadly this is not a I'm a PC , I'm a mac sketch.

----------

You sir made me laugh. If you really believe that.... Bless you... Heros are important ! Keep the dream alive ;)

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
At the beginning it was a quite a cool move by Apple, but by now it's getting somehow annoying....

Nem Wan

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
Apple should withdraw recognition of the sovereignty and legitimacy of the United Kingdom and declare their former territory to be a failed state. British refugees should report to the nearest Apple Store for assistance.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
He played with things like that all the time if his biography is any indication.

I know, but he didn't make a childish circus about it. How many suits Apple had and how many we knew when he was alive? Yes, Samsung was when he was in control but never that stupid game with the web site and such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.