Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j0417

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2011
You didn't really think it takes 24 months to work off that $400 subsidy, did you?
:confused:

No no, not at all. However I did not think it was possible to give such an extremely low rate to anyone! Just bothers me that even if were to buy the phone at retail, I still would paying $89 a month.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
That would be nice if carriers in the US gave people the option of paying full price and getting lower price plans or paying less and getting higher priced plans....

They obviously wouldn't offer a deal if they knew at $25 it wouldn't be profitable.

T-Mobile offers cheaper plans with a full price purchase. Just no iPhone yet.

Cheers,

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Wow - I am amazed at the people that are upset over somebody getting a better deal than they are.

Or even worse, thinking there is a law against it.

If they want to give somebody a FREE phone, they can do it. It is their business and their decision.

Grow up and stop thinking somebody owes you something.

Or that life is fair, or some other silly idea.

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
Doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary. Most cell phone providers offer discounts to a plethora of corporations and companies.

Davichi

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Why all the complain?

Verizon employees probably get free phones and free services from the company.

Apple employees are the ones who actually selling iphones, so Verizon is really offering some nice deals, so they would offer verizon service to their customers instead of AT&T service.

Why is everyone upset? They work for these companies and they have earned their discounts. You guys are not employees on Verizon or apple.

Go get a job at apple or verizon, then. Blame your employers for not giving you a benefit like this.

w0by

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Chicago, IL
T-Mobile

I'm not sure about that. I'm paying like $73 a month after tax with ulimited mobile to ANY mobile, unlimited text and unlimited FAST 3g internet (I get around 4mbps around here) - tmobile barely has 3g anywhere.

rkw0211

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Delaware
Well, I agree that we get gouged in the U.S., but our prices should be somewhat higher considering the shear land area carriers have to cover. Also, AT&T and Verizon are both the "luxury" carriers in the U.S. Sprint and T-Mobile have much scarcer coverage and their price reflects that.

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY
Why are you all complaining? So what we pay $25 or less for our plans? the markup you guys pay, pay for things like the new LTE network, etc etc. Apple's iphone prob only costs them $200-$250 to make. Does that mean they should lower their $600 retail? No.

I own a few verizon stores and im on the old Agent plan and i play $18 with tax a month for 1500 minutes and unlimited texts. and 100% discount on any feature (like if i want wifi tether; etc.)

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY
and oh yeah guys, at&t gives a similar plan to att and apple employees. AT&T, Sprint, Tmobile, Verizon have been doing this for ages for their employees.

oh & BTW verizon sales people get paid pretty well. Most can make $50-60k with commissions.

skidog1111

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

j0417 said:
I pay over $85 a month for an iPhone on Verizon, with a discount! Apple retail employees nor Verizon employees should have any special rates aside from the % discount we all receive. I would actually consider leaving Verizon and going to AT&T out of spite. I don't know why I am so mad about this but if its confirmed Verizon will be hearing from me!:mad:

Wow. That was the biggest whine ever. Go start your own company and set your own rules.

mikegwest

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
This is standard practice for any retailer that sells cellular phones in the US. There are actually some carriers that provide plans with more minutes for less money, as well as a discounted or free handset. In fact VZW typically gives a free handset plus the heavily discounted rate plan with phones other than iPhone. This is not illegal. It is not even uncommon. Get over it, or get a job selling cell phones.....

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow. Thats pretty cool. But Att is still amazing for me. But then again.. $25 a month is half what I pay my parents now for my iPhone.... Dang.

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
I pay $55 for my verizon service which includes unlimited data and text plus 450 minutes and five additional numbers I can call as much as I want. While not as good as $25, I am happy.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Wow - I am amazed at the people that are upset over somebody getting a better deal than they are.

Or even worse, thinking there is a law against it.

If they want to give somebody a FREE phone, they can do it. It is their business and their decision.

Grow up and stop thinking somebody owes you something.

Or that life is fair, or some other silly idea.

You have a point at least on the "crab mentality" and "dog in the manger" attitude that many exhibit. That whole attitude of "If I can't have it then no one else should" is sad. Mindsets like these are often rooted in poverty, spite and envy.

Then again I think many others are not spiteful or envious but just sick of ATT, VZ and other carriers raping us blind. I also feel sorry for those who try to defend overly aggressive and downright greedy practices of certain aspects of business and economics. They do this often because they are either part of that elite in some way or even worse they sadly try to associate the ideals of that elite in hopes they may join it someday.

Bottom line.... I think people just want more options and a fair deal. Options as in more flexible pricing and plans. A fair deal would be something more in line to what the telcoms in Europe offer iphone and ipad customers.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.