Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
I think the one that didn't researched is you. The $1 billion is for infringing, nothing more.

If they a willfully and knowingly infringed they can be awarded triple of the infringements.

Ah, and it won't be $3 billion. the triple damages and disgorgement of profits are more less $600 million

ORLLY? Go back to AndroidAuthority forums:
http://blog.seattlepi.com/timothymc...ngement-what-it-means-for-seattle-businesses/

"The jury also concluded that Samsung willfully infringed on five of the patents... Because Samsung’s infringement is identified as “willful” there is potential for punitive damages against Samsung. In this case, the statute would limit potential patent damages to three-times the damages calculated by the jury."

The damages at face value were about $1.05 billion. However, the triple damages (if awarded) still won't be $3 billion because only 5 of the 6 patents Samsung was found to infringe upon were deemed willful. So it depends on the damages associated with those 5 patents (still may be close to $3 billion).

Next time you come at me, please come at me correct. :)

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Did you boycott Apple because of the lawsuits? I can definitely see a lot of people getting fed up with this stuff.

Partly because of all the bully lawsuits by Apple to stifle competition and also because I find the iPhone to be vastly inferior to the Android offerings.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
It seems Samsung forgot step 3 of that slide for "directions for improvement":
"Remove a feeling that iPhone's menu icons are copied by differentiating design".

In a nutshell, the slide pretty much says to copy the iPhone's UI and icons, then try to alter the design so people don't realize we copied. LMAO.

Last edited by a moderator:

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
Here is an article that really brings it to the point:

Apple's Taking Its Eye Off the Ball

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...he-ball.aspx?source=isesitlnk0000001&mrr=1.00

It's not only they they spend lots of time, money and effort on litigation, they are also not very successful with it as they lose most cases. They did won against Samsung with that $1.1b judgement.... but...

".... the $1.1 billion judgment isn't likely to hold up on appeal, and I wouldn't be surprised to see an outright reversal when technical judges get the case."

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
ORLLY? Go back to AndroidAuthority forums:
http://blog.seattlepi.com/timothymc...ngement-what-it-means-for-seattle-businesses/

"The jury also concluded that Samsung willfully infringed on five of the patents... Because Samsung’s infringement is identified as “willful” there is potential for punitive damages against Samsung. In this case, the statute would limit potential patent damages to three-times the damages calculated by the jury."

The damages at face value were about $1.05 billion. However, the triple damages (if awarded) still won't be $3 billion because only 5 of the 6 patents Samsung was found to infringe upon were deemed willful. So it depends on the damages associated with those 5 patents (still may be close to $3 billion).

Next time you come at me, please come at me correct. :)

Pelase, stop embarrasing yourself, if you clearly don't know nothing about what you're talking at least read what othes that have take time to inform themselves are saying.

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/09/apple-asks-us-court-to-enhance-damages.html

Next time you come at me, please come at me correct ore shut yout mouth.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
Pelase, stop embarrasing yourself, if you clearly don't know nothing about what you're talking at least read what othes that have take time to inform themselves are saying.

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/09/apple-asks-us-court-to-enhance-damages.html

Next time you come at me, please come at me correct ore shut yout mouth.

Everything I said was correct... LOL. You on the other hand still refuse to admit that the court ruled it was willful infringement. Furthermore, read your own article that you link as "support" for yourself:

"Even the $1.9 billion figure in the chart I showed you above isn't the grand total. Since Apple also wants to prevail on some items on which the jury disagreed, the amount would increase further if any of Apple's Rule 50 requests results in additional liability findings."

We're already at nearly $2 billion, that number could increase if the items Apple disagrees upon are awarded. Also, the award only includes supplemental damages based on Samsung's sales until June 30, 2012. Apple will also be asking that it be extended until a final resolution is met (which will most likely be granted).

Next time you come at me, don't and just shut up.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Everything I said was correct... LOL. You on the other hand still refuse to admit that the court ruled it was willful infringement. Furthermore, read your own article that you link as "support" for yourself:

Next time you come at me, don't and just shut up.

The one that has to shut up is you.

This is what you claimed;

If anything the major win for Apple to be awarded over $1 billion should show that Samsung is indeed WILLFULLY and KNOWINGLY infringing upon Apple Products.

And this is totally false, what it shows the $1 billion is that they infringed, nothing more as I said. If you can't understand it, please, try to lear carefully, one word after another. Then, correct yourself because you clearly don't know what you're talinkg about.

So you can shut up and troll in another place. Have a good day

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Apple should sue HP/Palm too and probably Microsoft when they launch the Surface Pro.

Moreover, technically the Samsung's stylus IS NOT A STYLUS, but a digitizer pen with Wacom technology. End of the case.

I agree, perhaps Nokia too as their Nokia 5800 uses a stylus pen.

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I told you- apple is dying. When Steve was alive, there were google maps, youtube and many other things - cooperation. Now apple just became a legal company. Lost and confused, with no direction. Yah, you can say that ''but the stock price is going up''. So? How does that reflect actual product use or need? Browse classifieds - many people want to get rid of their stuff, trade things, and there is a magic line in their adds: ''do not offer apple products''.

Vitrum

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
Well the stock price is actually going down; regarding steve jobs comment :) he actually started these "mess"

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
soooooo what are you still doing on this site?

Awkward.

In Brazil, there was a dictatorship slogan in the 70s which said:

"Brazil, love it or leave it."

Which in truth was mean to be:

"Dictatorship, love it or be exiled."

You just said something like:

"Apple, love it or leave MacRumors forum."

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I told you- apple is dying. When Steve was alive, there were google maps, youtube and many other things - cooperation. Now apple just became a legal company. Lost and confused, with no direction. Yah, you can say that ''but the stock price is going up''. So? How does that reflect actual product use or need? Browse classifieds - many people want to get rid of their stuff, trade things, and there is a magic line in their adds: ''do not offer apple products''.

Jobs was the one who declared thermonuclear war on Android and you can bet he was involved with Apple Maps up till the time of his death.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This reeks of desperation and holier than thou attitude by Apple.
You've hit the bullseye with your assessment.

I firmly believe the iPhone 4S was pushed out in reaction to last years concurrent release of a plethora of Android models. Apple panicked. Prior to the onslaught, Apple had "leaked" the idea of an iPhone 5 but could not get it out in time.

This year, with a mountain of cash and even more stashed in off shore accounts, the lure of profit taking, overcame their willingness to build a phone that would reflect their best work. Instead choosing to do a milk toast upgrade.

At this rate, next year is likely to be more of the same. Boring. Yet highly profitable for Apple. They're going to milk this as long as possible.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Here is an article that really brings it to the point:

Apple's Taking Its Eye Off the Ball

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...he-ball.aspx?source=isesitlnk0000001&mrr=1.00

It's not only they they spend lots of time, money and effort on litigation, they are also not very successful with it as they lose most cases. They did won against Samsung with that $1.1b judgement.... but...

".... the $1.1 billion judgment isn't likely to hold up on appeal, and I wouldn't be surprised to see an outright reversal when technical judges get the case."

Great link. I will add that the writer of that article clearly does not seem to be an Apple 'basher'. It sounds like he really wants them to succeed, and feels what they're doing right now is the wrong path.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.