Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Screwtape

macrumors regular
May 10, 2009
In practice, the change only affects iPhone 5 customers with tiered, though not unlimited, data plans.

So let me get this straight, AT&T: Because I've been a customer with you for over 4 years and have an "unlimited" data plan (that's not really unlimited) I'm being punished for not going to one of your tiered plans? You know I still pay your bill hand-over-fist every month, right?

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don't really care about FaceTime over cellular all that much. It's just the principle that's annoying me. Also, I hate how they try to frame that they've always "offered" FaceTime over wifi. What a joke.

On the other hand, when I am unthrottled I do love my service and other alternatives aren't any better so I'm stuck with settling and rationalizing.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Wait... what?! AT&T is deciding if I an use Apple's FaceTime app that comes preloaded on the iPhone? Only if on a tiered plan? How's this news?

Am I crazy or this piece of news begs for thrashing?

You're crazy. If you signed up for a Mobile Share plan you've had Facetime access over the network since the iPhone 5 launched. AT&T is expanding the access to all tiered plans with an LTE capable device.

----------

So let me get this straight, AT&T: Because I've been a customer with you for over 4 years and have an "unlimited" data plan (that's not really unlimited) I'm being punished for not going to one of your tiered plans? You know I still pay your bill hand-over-fist every month, right?

This is old news. You're complaining about something that until today has been covered up by mounds of other articles.

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
I have an unlimited plan and I would like to use my data as I please, without restrictions. It's bad that it seems they won't allow Facetime over cellular for people with unlimited plans.

Anyway, unlimited is a misnomer, they throttle the connection after certain amount of data. The only advantage is the guarantee of no overage charges and having some minimal data services once past the limit. I really like the impossibility of overage charges.

SFO 1K

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
"AT&T will also continue to offer FaceTime ... over Wi-Fi, which has always been available for all customers."

This is how you can tell AT&T are ********s. They have absolutely nothing to do with FaceTime over Wi-Fi.

They do when it's AT&T WiFi.

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
What a bunch of hooey. C'mon AT&T, how bout a little love for us long time iPhone customers on grandfathered plans...

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA

It's your choice. You don't have to do FaceTime over cellular. NO ONE IS MAKING YOU.

You aren't being punished. Those who have moved to the tiered plans are being rewarded.

badmac78

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Atlanta
BS ... AT&T ... Complete BS

Very confused regarding @++'s logic. I am paying for unlimited and yet you get to decide what I can use on my unlimited plan? That's like Comcast saying, we're only going to let you FaceTime if you have premium or business class service.

Not impressed with their inability to be creative about extracting revenue from their customer base. How about better service. :confused:

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
AT&T still doesn't get it. It's our data, and we should get to choose how we use it.

They do get it.
Its only your data if you buy it. You can buy the tiered plan.

I have said for a long time that AT&T should let everyone who wants an unlimited plan from 2007, have it. They should give them the 2007 network, with the 2007 network speeds and lets them use it to they are blue in the face. I doubt that would be make the AT&T Haters go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
still calling it BS. AT&T should not be blocking is end of story. Just like Apple should not be blocking Facetime over cellular from any of its phones.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If AT&T wants to win us over, the least they can do is offer tethering, WiFi Hotspot, and FaceTime over any plans. And for those on unlimited plan, just call it for what it is: 3GB 3G+, unlimited 2G.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
They do get it.
Its only your data if you buy it. You can buy the tiered plan.

I have said for a long time that AT&T should let everyone who wants an unlimited plan from 2007, have it. They should give them the 2007 network, with the 2007 network speeds and lets them use it to they are blue in the face. I doubt that would be make the AT&T Haters go away.

So you are talking about the crowd who has been loyal to AT&T for years? That crowd? Yeah that would include me. I PAY FOR DATA, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE MY DATA ANY WAY I WISH. I have been with att then cingular then the "new att". As a loyal customer I do not like getting rapped up the *** when they don't allow me to take advantage of new features..

Last edited by a moderator:

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
All this is is a money grab. They finally realized that if you go over your tiered plan using FaceTime they make more $$$. They probably cleaned up with overages on shared data and decides lets make them think this is us being nice when it's really us making more $$$

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
i am no expert at cellular networks and data, however this whole "it's my data, i should be able to do whatever I want with it" is a bit bs.

LTE allows for more bandwidth and strictly is for data. 3G on the other hand handles both data and voice protocols.

For those FaceTiming on 3G, you add significant strain on the AT&T network. People forget that when 3G first rolled out (around 2005), the amount of traffic was next to none. Yes infrastructure has improved and evolved, but at the end of the day, it is about delivering and meeting the Quality of Service expectations. You must also look at the amount of smartphone traffic that the 3G networks now see...it is at levels probably not thinkable back when the networks were first rolled out.

So yes, moving FaceTime only to LTE is smart.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
And of course, if we leave unlimited and begin using Facetime, we'll probably exceed our monthly data allotment.

They finally realized that if you go over your tiered plan using FaceTime they make more $$$.

Facetime is pretty efficient.

I did some math and with my 10 GB shared plan my family could technically use over 55 HOURS of Facetime per month. I don't know about you, but that's way more video calling than I'd do in a month. (And that's assuming I never had wifi.)

And yes, of course I use that data for other stuff too, but my point is that there's a LOT of Facetime available. Way, way more than I'd use. I'd guess I probably only use about 50 MB per month of AT&T data on Facetime.

I really think that people say things like "I can't use Facetime on a limited plan" without actually checking if that's true or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.