Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Just give me ten iPad minis and some kind of XGrid Lightning connector hub for the same price please…

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Holy crap what a waste of money. No thanks. I'll take a 15" rMBP and an iPad instead and still have money left over.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Bring a ModBook as light (400 to 600 g) and small as possible, based on the MacBook Air 11-inch. The ultimate Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tool. The Mac in your pocket. Always.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Wow, how the tide of popular opinion turns.

Remember when the iPad was still a few months away from being introduced? Remember the rumors then? We weren't sure if it was going to run some sort of full-fledged OS X or "a dumbed down phone OS". Remember how everyone was clamoring for the full OS X experience? How a tablet would be useless if it could only run iOS apps? How upset everyone was going to be if it was just an oversized iPhone?

(Oh, and we were expecting to pay $999 for it.)

Remember?

Apparently not.

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
Wow, how the tide of popular opinion turns.

Remember when the iPad was still a few months away from being introduced? Remember the rumors then? We weren't sure if it was going to run some sort of full-fledged OS X or "a dumbed down phone OS". Remember how everyone was clamoring for the full OS X experience? How a tablet would be useless if it could only run iOS apps? How upset everyone was going to be if it was just an oversized iPhone?

(Oh, and we were expecting to pay $999 for it.)

Remember?

Apparently not.

I DO! And I wish it were true - I am still hoping for a combined MacOSX and iOS device.. one day. Wont be for a while though as Apple milks the current iOS devices

zarusoba

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Australia
Nope, I'll be getting a Windows 8 tablet: Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro or Microsoft Surface Pro if the stylus works out. Samsung's has a Wacom digitiser with 1,024 levels of pressure sensitivity.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
It's a 13" modbook made from the mid-2012 MBP. 13" MBP weighs 4.5lbs. You would think for a touchscreen 13" that costs $3500 they could have at least kept the same or lower weight.

You forgot the Wacom digitizer layer and the pen which I presume that can be attached to the Modbook's body.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Eh? The Surface Pro is only half a pound more than the iPad. Not exactly big and heavy. It will be expensive, though not nearly as much as this thing.

That half a pound makes a difference when you carry the thing around all day every day. Plus I'm also talking about the thickness, screen size, display ratio...

The iPad is really as big as I'll go - otherwise I'd carry around a laptop again. The iPad mini is my ideal - will utilize an LTE model on-the-go (browsing, mail, reading) and save my iPad for longer travel (movies, games, media).

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
lol, its $3500 because the need to pay the retainer on their lawyers, in preparation for the large Apple law suite that is coming.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
This is a niche product that already has an established customer base. This company probably measures success as hundreds of units sold.

Every time I'd talked to them at MacWorld in the past, they were hurting. They had to pay Woz to come speak about their product being cool at their booth one year after they delivered their product months if not a year late.

----------

lol, its $3500 because the need to pay the retainer on their lawyers, in preparation for the large Apple law suite that is coming.

Their product has been available since long before the iPad or even the iPhone, was available.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
You wonder what goes through their minds when they come up with this kind of thing. All aboard for the Bankruptcy Express. ;)

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
so expensive! i could buy an ipad and mpbr for that price

And neither offers a usable pen. However, there are numerous Windows 8 devices that come with Wacom, including the Samsung ATIV for $1200. This technology has been affordable for several years now in the form of a PC. Don't even mention the iPad, it cannot be used for writing, drawing, sketching, etc. Without a Wacom it's useless for creative work.

jpmcnown

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2011
Can we just get a hackintosh working on one of these new Windows 8 Touch enabled convertible laptops? I'd like to see a dual boot on the Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T for $1200

Or if Apple could just put a damn touch screen on a macbook, that would be nice, but I won't hold my breath.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.