Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ort888

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
You know what’s funny…

I have AT&T and a Mobile Sharing plan, and I can’t get Factime over cellular to work at all. It never connects. Never.

It’s really frustrating and no one seems to have an answer.

I can’t even find a person who successfully makes facetime cellular connections… so I have no idea if my problem is widespread or not.

I was actually looking forward to using the feature and I’ve sort of hit a wall. I don’t know if it’s Apple’s fault or AT&T’s fault, but I feel like I’ve been lied to.

No one seems to know or care.

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
I agree it sucks but at least they budged from only having FaceTime on shared plans, perhaps in the future they'll eventually release it to all FaceTime capable devices.

I have an LTE device on a teired data plan, so I'll be getting FaceTime over cellular. But my GF who has a 4S wont, she's the only person I FaceTime with, so she'll need to continue to be connected to Wifi in order for it to work. I'll keep my fingers crossed that AT&T unlocks it for everyone in the future. :rolleyes:

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
i am no expert at cellular networks and data, however this whole "it's my data, i should be able to do whatever I want with it" is a bit bs.

Its not about that.. It is about net neutrality. Lets say you had comcast for a few years, it works perfect, no issues. Now comcast releases a new plan. Costs the same but slower speeds. The newer plan will allow you to vist hulu, netflix/youtube. Old plan will not... Would this be acceptable to you?

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Didn't AT&T force Apple to change the network badging on iPhone 4S from 3G to 4G? Doesn't this technically qualify it as an LTE device as well?

No LTE is true 4g while the "4g" hspa is actually a 3g network with software and backend improvements. It can be labeled as 4g due to the theoretical speeds it can achieve.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Didn't AT&T force Apple to change the network badging on iPhone 4S from 3G to 4G? Doesn't this technically qualify it as an LTE device as well?

No - the "4G" in the iP4S is HSPA+.....

Technically, LTE isn't even true 4G. LTE-A is. This whole, 2G, 3G, 4G whatever has been corrupted by the marketing departments of each of these carriers. They need to just call it what it is or adhere to the correct generational numbers.

3G = HSPA, HSPA+

"3.9G" = LTE, WiMax (release 1) - these are transitional standards, though as they don't achieve the 1 GB/s download speeds associated with 4G, they aren't technically "true 4G"

4G = LTE-A, WiMax Release 2

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I don't even want to see the data usage for an LTE FaceTime call.

I've got to say, I have really warmed up to FaceTime with LTE (Verizon iPhone5). Thought it was gimmicky when it came out, but it has worked for me amaaaaazingly well even when driving 60mph. Yes... my eyes are on the road. Just another form of voip. Even with just the 1gb iPad data only sim, I'm not close to going over.

Anyway, I think it only uses a few mb of data per minute.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
8 to 10 weeks? How long does it take to remove a restriction? And why does the LTE device restriction exist? Still, glad to see AT&T showing some sense.

Sense? No. Not at all. Sorry, move along.

I might hate AT&T but this is a good call.

Again, no. Oh, how generous of them to offer these services ... still to only a limited pool of participants that have volunteered to be raped by higher prices per data usage. AT&T is so generous :rolleyes:

They get it. They're trying to save money.

Offer someone an all-you-can-eat buffet for $10. Or an ounce of food for $2 each.

Offer spaghetti, hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, steak and lobster.

Don't let the all-you-can-eaters choose steak or lobster.

That's what they're doing.

Save money? No. Sorry. Did they report losses when they were handing out unlimited data plans? NO. They are trying to MAKE more money. Big difference.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
Looks like they had a chat with FCC. Where are all the pundits explaining AT&T can limit the feature. Next goes FaceTime on LTE device only limit.

Again AT&T thinks LTE devices consume more data so you will run out of your tier and they can collect overages. Prior devices even cannot burn through tiered data fast enough, no benefit to AT&T.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Maybe I'm just uneducated ...
I understand network strain and such, but wouldn't people use this wisely if it was simply included in their data plans? If you go over your allotment, you get charged for it and AT&T still makes money. If you have unlimited data, you still get throttled ... ?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Makes me glad I'm with VZ, but they do charge more, so...

Still, never had issues with them. I feel for you folks on ATT, from what I read, it must be irritating.

I'm quite happy with ATT. I had the option to switch to VZ with my iPhone 5 but what I found is where I live, ATT has LTE coverage that's at least as good as Verizon, and faster on top of that. That combined with the fact that ATT's 3G is far superior to VZ, which is important if you don't have LTE coverage where you're at. Then there's the fact that iPhone 5 still doesn't do data+voice on VZ. All the above items are things I use far more than face time. And of course, with this announcement, whatever FaceTime limitation I had, will soon be gone as well. Not that it matters to me, I'll use it a grand total of twice. Once on LTE and once on Wifi just to compare, and then I'll be back to using Skype.

Last edited:

Macsimus11

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2008
Don't give me wireless FaceTime, give me G*d D*mn LTE coverage!!!

I agree! I can't believe that we (people in the San Fernando Valley) don't have LTE on our iphone 5's. This is just ridiculous, I really hope they add it soon! so sick of 4G (3g+) crippled speeds.

BrianMojo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Boston, MA
So wait, legitimate question: if I have a 3GS on the unlimited plan, can I roll over the unlimited plan to an iPhone 5? I thought you had to drop the unlimited because you're moving to 4G?

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
So wait, legitimate question: if I have a 3GS on the unlimited plan, can I roll over the unlimited plan to an iPhone 5? I thought you had to drop the unlimited because you're moving to 4G?
Only Verizon made you switch to a tiered plan if you upgraded your phone.
With AT&T, you can still keep your unlimited data plan even if you upgrade to an LTE device. They just start throttling you at 5GB instead of 3GB.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
Only Verizon made you switch to a tiered plan if you upgraded your phone.
With AT&T, you can still keep your unlimited data plan even if you upgrade to an LTE device. They just start throttling you at 5GB instead of 3GB.

This is mostly true, with Verizon you can keep your (unthrottled) unlimited but you just don't get the subsidized price for a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.