Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burc2006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
Hello
This is my 1st post to forum, nice to meet you guys
I own Ipad3 and several times swapped it mainly for screen problems, mostly dust or dead pixel
The last one I have now have yellow tint in some area and it is bugging me
As soon as Ipad 4 is on the market I requested my friend to bring me one from US Apple Store (The country which I live has no official apple store, ipad 4 not available now and also too much expensive compared to other countries.)
Anyway, as soon as I received it I checked the screen and found dust (or dead pixel) which is seen on white background and also in light colors.
I am really pissed of quality control of Apple(Foxconn) plants.
Since no apple store now here, I need to wait to go to another country to change it with new one. (most probably at that time they will give me refurbished)
I am really tired of exchanging ipad's within last 6 months, and I want to find one with flawless screen and stop there
I have other question as well.
Locking sound of this new Ipad 4 is too low compared to other sounds. I am comparing with Ipad3, lock sound is very difficult to hear.
I restored it to new ipad, it was OK at 1st but as soon as I restored all my settings and apps from iCloud account, same condition happened again.
Cannot change it even I played with all settings
Is there anyone having same concern? I think it is a software bug, other sound except lock sound is OK in speaker and headphones.
Thanks for reading and replying

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I am afraid that if you were not to happy until several exchanges with the three, the four will be no different. As hard as it is for you to exchange, you will need to keep trying. Things have not improved at Foxcom and in fact from what we have seen, things have degraded.

Out of the five different iPads that I have owned, I have never been unhappy with any of them. I have casually looked for dead pixels and off color areas on each screen and nothing has caught my attention. Not sure if it is luck or we have two different levels of perceived quality going on here.

Good luck on your quest.

Last edited:

blackbelter

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
I am afraid that if you we're to happy until several exchanges with the three, the four will be no different. As hard as it is for you to exchange, you will need to keep trying. Things have not improved at Foxcom and, in fact, from what we have seen things have degraded.

Out of the five different iPads that I have owned, I have never been happy with any of them. I have casually looked for dead pixels and off color areas on each screen and nothing has caught my attention. Not sure if it is luck or we have two different levels of perceived quality going on here.

Good luck on your quest.

Too many typos there... or am I misunderstanding?

Anyway, I think it is nothing but bad luck for OP... I have had 3 iPads, 2, 3, and now 4. (I owned iPad 3 for a day, and sold it immediately for the imminent release of iPad 4.) Haven't had any issue with any one of them, not even the 'not-so-well-thought-out' feature of dimming the backlighting in dark scenes in videos as is being discussed in some other thread.

Feel sorry for OP. Wish you better luck next time.

Last edited:

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I've had first gen, third, and now 4th. Not happy at all with the screen. The dreaded yellow tint is there and isn't going away like some have suggested it does. Exchanging it might work but there seems like a good chance I get the same problem or another pops up like a dead pixel or backlight bleeding. I'm tempted to return it and wait a while before even trying to buy another in the hopes of the early adopter issues being ironed out.

Do the displays of non-Apple tablets like the kindle fire HD and Nexus have these problems? Where does Amazon even manufacture their tablets?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I must be the luckiest Apple customer going...I've had the 1 the 2 the 3 and now the fourth incarnation of the iPad...Same goes for the iPhone. All of them have had flawless screens out of the box. My 3 had the tinniest of screen bleeds in the upper left hand corner of the screen...Only visible on boot up, and certainly not worth exchanging over.

I know that Apple's QC has been a little iffy lately, but I just haven't had any issues. Cynics ( mostly buddies ) say that it's because I'm an Apple "Pro-Sumer" and that my products get picked from a section of the factory where they double check the quality....Yeah, right.

I'm fussy too, believe me, if any of my screens had faults like those described here and in many other threads on the boards, I would have returned them..Just as I said, lucky I guess.

Last edited:

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Too many typos there... or am I misunderstanding?

Anyway, I think it is nothing but bad luck for OP... I have had 3 iPads, 2, 3, and now 4. (I owned iPad 3 for a day, and sold it immediately for the imminent release of iPad 4.) Haven't had any issue with any one of them, not even the 'not-so-well-thought-out' feature of dimming the backlighting in dark scenes in videos as is being discussed in some other thread.

Feel sorry for OP. Wish you better luck next time.

Sorry, was very early with my iPad doing its "thing" the best it could.:(

burc2006

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2012
I think I have always bad luck in buying electronic things.
Happening to me not only on ipads but other gadgets.
Am I too picky, yes I think so..
Because some of the defects, they are too minor but what I am doing is trying to find defect instead of using it.
Maybe typical OCD attitude..

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Considering all of the reading I do in the dark at night, I feel the yellow tint would be much easier on the eyes than a cold blue backlight.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
Considering all of the reading I do in the dark at night, I feel the yellow tint would be much easier on the eyes than a cold blue backlight.

For me, yellow tint isn't the problem. What most people call "yellow tint" is, most of the time, just a better calibrated screen. Mobile device screens have been too cold for years and Apple has obviously changed its standard calibration. There may still be some fluctuation, yes, but overall the screens are warmer now and most people will adjust to that.

The problem I had with every iPad screen (except the iPad 2) is uneven tint. I've had three iPad 3 and two iPad 4, all of them with poor white uniformity, showing a red/pink to green tint when displaying a white picture (reading, surfing etc.). That's just poor.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I was worried about what I would get when I went to pick mine up yesterday because my wifes ipad 3 has the yeloow tint to it. I guess I got lucky because the screen seems to be great...

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
My iPad 4 definitely has a yellow tint to it and compared to my iPhone 4S and an iPad 4 I looked at in my local Apple store. I'm going to give it a few weeks to see if it grows on me. The screen otherwise is very good with uniform coloring, so I'd rather not have to replace it.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I must be the luckiest Apple customer going...I've had the 1 the 2 the 3 and now the fourth incarnation of the iPad...Same goes for the iPhone. All of them have had flawless screens out of the box. My 3 had the tinniest of screen bleeds in the upper left hand corner of the screen...Only visible on boot up, and certainly not worth exchanging over.

I know that Apple's QC has been a little iffy lately, but I just haven't had any issues. Cynics ( mostly buddies ) say that it's because I'm an Apple "Pro-Sumer" and that my products get picked from a section of the factory where they double check the quality....Yeah, right.

I'm fussy too, believe me, if any of my screens had faults like those described here and in many other threads on the boards, I would have returned them..Just as I said, lucky I guess.

Same here. Either I/we are lucky, or we're not as sensitive to minor issues. I like to think it's the former since I'm pretty particular about the quality of my stuff (from iPads to cars).

See you at the next Grammar Nazi Convention!

Well, it wasn't so much nitpicking about grammar since the original edit said "never been happy", so that really changed the context of the post (it's since been edited).

:)

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
I think I have always bad luck in buying electronic things.
Happening to me not only on ipads but other gadgets.
Am I too picky, yes I think so..
Because some of the defects, they are too minor but what I am doing is trying to find defect instead of using it.
Maybe typical OCD attitude..

It could also be your body composition. There are certain types of people who have a certain chemical makeup that tends to screw with gadgets and electronics, (not a joke) It's almost the same reason why same people are struck by lightning multiple times. The fact that you are OCD probably makes it worse. Sorry, must a be a real PIA for you.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
My iPad 4 definitely has a yellow tint to it and compared to my iPhone 4S and an iPad 4 I looked at in my local Apple store. I'm going to give it a few weeks to see if it grows on me. The screen otherwise is very good with uniform coloring, so I'd rather not have to replace it.

Good advice: try not to compare it too much to other screens. The warmer screens are more color accurate than the blueish ones most people are used to. In normal daylight the screen probably won't look yellow because it fits the ambience light temperature fairly well.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Good advice: try not to compare it too much to other screens. The warmer screens are more color accurate than the blueish ones most people are used to. In normal daylight the screen probably won't look yellow because it fits the ambience light temperature fairly well.

Thank you Sh4wN - your post may have saved an iPad from unnecessary refurbishment. Good advice indeed.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Certainly some people who are not picky at all see no problems with the ipad 3 or iphone 5, etc.

But the problems are very real and the quality control is really bad, or more likely, it's really lax. What I mean is that these things we call defects are acceptable to Apple or Foxconn. So it's a definitions thing. At what point is an aberration to be called a defect, and who gets to decide?

I say that within the first 30 days, we get to decide. After that, they can. It seems reasonable since most failures occur soon.

So the OP is not being too picky. I would say that the quality control is such that if he gets 10 ipads in a row that are not to his liking, then the picky label could apply. But not less than 10.

Certain screens are made better than others, and they are not all equal b/c they come from different manufacturers. And of course there is random error in making the panels. So while it is possible to get a nice white screen, it is luck of the draw.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I've had a couple of Mini's and while I'm not keeping them because I don't like the screen, both had debris under the screen that was visible. So the QC still isn't good. Having said that my iPad 4 screen is perfect. And it was first time too.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
I have noticed on most all of the iPad 4 reviews on youtube that the screens look more yellow on the iPad 4's. Maybe they are in fact warmer than on the iPad 3. I hope they didn't cheap out on the screens this go around.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Same here. Either I/we are lucky, or we're not as sensitive to minor issues. I like to think it's the former since I'm pretty particular about the quality of my stuff (from iPads to cars).

Well, it wasn't so much nitpicking about grammar since the original edit said "never been happy", so that really changed the context of the post (it's since been edited).

:)

Still rather petty don't you think? It must drive your friends crazy unless they are perfect. :rolleyes:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Still rather petty don't you think? It must drive your friends crazy unless they are perfect. :rolleyes:

I don't really think it was a big deal (I didn't make the original post), and I'm far from a Grammar Nazi - in fact, I'm pretty laid back in general - but sometimes I'll ask if someone meant A vs. B, just because I'm interested in their post, and I want to make sure I understand it (and that I'm not misinterpreting it).

I think this has a been a pretty good thread :)

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Two iPad 4s, both with dust underneath the screen, both returned. Not playing the exchange game with apple this time around. I hope screen laminations (in future designs) fix the dust issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.