Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
I've been sorting and transfering files between my old externals into a new 4TB I bought and because the older HDDs were USB2, the whole process takes several nights. Files are transferred from old HDD to Mini's HDD, while files already in the Mini's HDD are transferred into the new usb3 HDD. The entire process takes hours, longest one has been estimated at 15 hours.

I've disabled sleep, display is set to go off after 15 minutes.

After the whole process, I return to 'wake' the system and it'll spend a good 5~10 minutes just lagging, kinda like how vista/win7 is like after waking from sleep. A simple process like opening a Finder window takes a few minutes to load.

Is this some kind of power-saving feature/bug?

No SSDs installed, spinning platters only.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Was it solved by rebooting? If so, I'd say all those hours of transferring files made the computer crazy somehow. Can't really tell you how but I'd say it's pretty obvious it was because of that.

If it wakes up just fine and only did that when you had it copying for 15 hours… Then I wouldn't worry.

xrm

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
got the same problem mate, sometimes when i wake the mini up from sleep, i thought a couple of times hell is it stuck or something... then waited a minute or something and everything came up...

btw iam running osx on an ssd over usb ! although happens not always and if it happens only when it wakes up from sleep...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.