Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
The novelty's gone off of owning it... still a good device though.

Why does the novelty eventually go off? :(

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Probably because he/she had the unrealistic hope of the iPad 4 doing something "new" and "exciting." In reality, it was made to do everything the old ones do, but better.

That is the one knock of the apple stores and trying out their new stuff. It works the exact same as the old stuff. When you already have an iPad, going into the store to "fiddle" with the new ones takes about 20 seconds, as you already know how the entire thing works.

I, on the other hand, am very excited about the 4 because my 2 has always bugged me a bit when reading books. The screen isn't quite there. I appreciate the jump from the 2 to the 4, and look forward to when I grow a pair and purchase it!

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Probably because he/she had the unrealistic hope of the iPad 4 doing something "new" and "exciting." In reality, it was made to do everything the old ones do, but better.

That is the one knock of the apple stores and trying out their new stuff. It works the exact same as the old stuff. When you already have an iPad, going into the store to "fiddle" with the new ones takes about 20 seconds, as you already know how the entire thing works.

I, on the other hand, am very excited about the 4 because my 2 has always bugged me a bit when reading books. The screen isn't quite there. I appreciate the jump from the 2 to the 4, and look forward to when I grow a pair and purchase it!
The products look better in the store for some reason...

And garage band you have to pay for...

I do like my iPad 4 but if I purchase apps, and sell the iPad on later; I'm not going to get that money back.

Perhaps I should enjoy owning the latest and greatest while I can.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
]Probably because he/she had the unrealistic hope of the iPad 4 doing something "new" and "exciting." In reality, it was made to do everything the old ones do, but better. [/B]

exactly this. The same thing happens with a new phone. A new iphone is essentially the exact same as an older version since it runs the same familiar IOS. Really everything in life has this effect.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I kind of get where the OP is coming from... I purchased the iPad4 on launch day, selling my iPad2 (and keeping the iPad3) and when I did so, switched to white having always had black iPads. I did it for the novelty and although I wouldn't change my mind, the novelty factor has since worn off.

The 4 does everything the 3 does, to be honest, and not being a gamer, I haven't seen really any real world differences in what it is I use the iPad for.

Even with that said, I am glad for my purchase as, who knows? Perhaps something will come along that will require the mechanics of the 4 to be in place.
(Or course, by then the 5 may be released?)

Ah, geez. I really do have to get off this Apple merrygoround!
;)

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I kind of get where the OP is coming from... I purchased the iPad4 on launch day, selling my iPad2 (and keeping the iPad3) and when I did so, switched to white having always had black iPads. I did it for the novelty and although I wouldn't change my mind, the novelty factor has since worn off.

The 4 does everything the 3 does, to be honest, and not being a gamer, I haven't seen really any real world differences in what it is I use the iPad for.

Even with that said, I am glad for my purchase as, who knows? Perhaps something will come along that will require the mechanics of the 4 to be in place.
(Or course, by then the 5 may be released?)

Ah, geez. I really do have to get off this Apple merrygoround!
;)
That's exactly what I mean. I guess it'd be like me buying the rMBP 13"... while there's not much else that the rMBP can do over my 13" if that makes sense?

Same product, just a different case.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The novelty's gone off of owning it... still a good device though.

Because it looks the same and works pretty much the same as the other 3 iPad's. If you want something fresh from Apple is not to buy the same product just so you can stay current. Vote with your wallet.

Apple released the Mini because of increased competition. If people weren't so quick to keep rebuying the same device with essentially a new coat of paint, Apple will take notice. ;)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I guess I'm not the sort of person that loses interest in something once the "newness wears off".

Sure, there's that initial excitement during the purchase and waiting for it to arrive, but my joy is in actually using the device, and learning +new+ ways to leverage it day to day. In the case of the iPad, I also find it fun and exciting exploring apps and seeing the progress made on the platform, and looking forward to creative new development.

:cool:

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
I guess I'm not the sort of person that loses interest in something once the "newness wears off".

Sure, there's that initial excitement during the purchase and waiting for it to arrive, but my joy is in actually using the device, and learning +new+ ways to leverage it day to day. In the case of the iPad, I also find it fun and exciting exploring apps and seeing the progress made on the platform, and looking forward to creative new development.

:cool:

Amen and I'm still loving my iPad 4 especially for Games and Movie apps like Netflix, Crackle. I use my iPad daily and am addicted to it lol. I grab it nearly as soon as I get home. :D

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California

I do like my iPad 4 but if I purchase apps, and sell the iPad on later; I'm not going to get that money back.

If you have just bought a product and you are already thinking about the cost of selling it (like so many on MacRumors), you made the wrong purchasing decision. If you buy a piece of hardware and cannot consider the cost of the software as a sunk cost, don't buy the hardware.
It doesn't matter which platform you choose, the software is an expense.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I've decided not to post here....thanks :D

I impress myself with this kind of will power.

Last edited:

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Congrats on becoming a slightly more mature consumer. Gadgets like ipad cost enough that they should probably purchased/owned for utility purposes only. Maybe you don't need it?

Who wants to be a slave to novelty?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Congrats on becoming a slightly more mature consumer. Gadgets like ipad cost enough that they should probably purchased/owned for utility purposes only. Maybe you don't need it?

Who wants to be a slave to novelty?

Life's too short.
No reason a purchase like an iPad can't be for both novelty/fun and utilitarian purposes.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Did you think your ipad would be magical? It's a consumer device, use it and enjoy it

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010

Well turn it back on...Buy multiple cases, go get some cool ipad accessories and the like..

But yeah if you're disappointed with it now because the novelty *ahem* turned off, then you're not using it right.

the wearing off of Novelty is a human thing, can you imagine if it never wore off anything you bought, you'd be living life as 2yr old....

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009

Seriously? GarageBand is an absurdly good value.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Yea that. I've always wondered why that's the case. Probably because they have them turned up to full brightness and with all the florescent lights, it's brighter than the sun.

MrDoug

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Boise, Idaho..
First, please describe what you mean by novelty.
Yes, I know what you mean about the novelty.. I buy a new divice.. go though it for a few hours and the luster is gone.. LOL.. kinda like a new car.. drive it around for awhile.. and so what.. the shine goes off the bumper fast.. I just always will buy the lastest and greatest to try them out..I then sell them after a couple of weeks and lose my butt.. but, I had fun playing with them..:) better than hanging out in the bars..and much cheaper..
Doug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.