Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Or do you think there will stay at the 4 inch display going forward?

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Your thumb, it goes from here to here.

This bigger screen goes from here to here.

It's a dazzling display of common sense.

So unless everyones thumb grows an extra half inch next year, you're stuck with this screen size.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Nobody knows so the best you can get are guesses. My guess would be now that the apps are being redesigned for a 4 inch screen they will leave it like that for a few years at least. I think the only way you will get a bigger screen is if the come out with 2 iPhones. I could see a 5 inch and a 4 inch being available if the Note 2 does well enough to catch their attention. I wouldn’t have said that 6 months ago but now that the iPad mini came out I think there is a chance for another size iPhone. I would be happier with a 4.5 inch screen but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Again speculation is the best you will get so I'm just giving my opinion.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011

So unless everyones thumb grows an extra half inch next year, you're stuck with this screen size.

I disagree. I have wear medium or large gloves depending on the glove. I cannot reach the corners without tilting the phone around in my hand. If one handed use was truly the point then they would have stayed with 3.5. The 4.0 is no easier for me to use than a 4.3. I don't have anything larger handy but I suspect it would be the same up to around 4.7.

Anyways, no, I don't think they will make it any bigger anytime soon. I don't even think the casing will change next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
Samsung note and noteII dominate the 5 plus screen market and is selling well, and I have no doubt apple want a piece of the pie, is all money talk, just look at ipad mini.

ReValveiT

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012

Or you could use even more of that common sense and do what I do...

...use 2 hands.

This whole apple marketing is bull. I have good size hands and struggle to reach the top corner of my i4 screen with my thumb. I highly doubt many people could reach the 4" corners of the i5 screen with one hand.

Of course, lots of people are blindly sold on advertising.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
That's BS.

Or you could use even more of that common sense and do what I do...

...use 2 hands.

This whole apple marketing is bull.

Steve Jobs agrees.

iphone-4-reception-steve-jobs.jpg

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Yeah, the longer screen isn't particularly easy to operate with one hand. When reaching for the far corner, my palm is always hitting the lower corner... they should have just made the damn thing wider too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.