Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KellyC

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2012
We have Verizon-owned modem and wireless router that's creating the wireless network in our home.

I just installed a Time Capsule for use as a Time Machine back up for our two MBAs.

I read through the doc. and visited Apple's support site but am still confused about how it can also function as a wireless base station.

I basically want to know if it is possible to place the Time Capsule in another part of the house and use it as a signal booster for our current network. Is that a correct assumption or am I off base?

It is currently tied to the wireless network as a client, which, I assume means that it is just another device sitting there not broadcasting or enhancing a wireless signal.

We bought the unit to serve as a back up. It being a client to our existing wireless network is great, but I was hoping I could also use it to extend/enhance the signal at another corner of the house.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
The Verizon modem is DSL,outputs Ethernet and wifi? If wifi, both 2GH and 5GH?

I have my DSL modem generating wifi...only for guests. the modem has ethernet to our time capsule. I use the time capsule to generate the dual band wifi network for the family. I use two airport expresses to extend the time capsule network so that we get max signal strength on phones and pads. Also AirPlay works very well.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
To extend the network like you are describing, you will need two, compatible devices that support WDS. The Time Capsule does support WDS, but I would just about bet the Verizon router does not. Even then, WDS between different brands seems to be iffy.

If you are really in need of expanding the wireless coverage, you could attach the Time Capsule wired to the Verizon router and put the TC in bridge mode. Then buy an Airport Express and use that to extend the wireless network from the TC.

KellyC

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2012
The Verizon modem is DSL,outputs Ethernet and wifi? If wifi, both 2GH and 5GH?

I have my DSL modem generating wifi...only for guests. the modem has ethernet to our time capsule. I use the time capsule to generate the dual band wifi network for the family. I use two airport expresses to extend the time capsule network so that we get max signal strength on phones and pads. Also AirPlay works very well.

Thanks for the response. The Verizon hardware generates wifi and ethernet. I assume the logical step would be to have the Verizon hardware act only as a modem and connect it via Ethernet cable to the Time Capsule.

That makes logistical sense since my wife and I would prefer to have these two devices located together in the room off our kitchen.

----------

To extend the network like you are describing, you will need two, compatible devices that support WDS. The Time Capsule does support WDS, but I would just about bet the Verizon router does not. Even then, WDS between different brands seems to be iffy.

If you are really in need of expanding the wireless coverage, you could attach the Time Capsule wired to the Verizon router and put the TC in bridge mode. Then buy an Airport Express and use that to extend the wireless network from the TC.

Ok. I think I'm tracking to what both your post and the post above suggests.

I need to plug the Time Capsule into the Verizon hardware via ethernet.

Set the Time Capsule to "Bridge Mode" and use it as the sole wifi signal generator.

Pick up a Airport Express and put it in the extreme other end of the house in the living room and have it serve as the signal booster.

One additional question. We have an Apple TV in that extreme end of the house running off of the wifi signal being generated by the Verizon hardware.

Would it make sense to place the Airport Express with the Apple TV and connect the Apple TV via ethernet to the Airport Express? Will that make any difference with some of the buffering and occasional HD quality issues we experience while streaming with ATV?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the response. The Verizon hardware generates wifi and ethernet. I assume the logical step would be to have the Verizon hardware act only as a modem and connect it via Ethernet cable to the Time Capsule.

That makes logistical sense since my wife and I would prefer to have these two devices located together in the room off our kitchen.

----------

Ok. I think I'm tracking to what both your post and the post above suggests.

I need to plug the Time Capsule into the Verizon hardware via ethernet.

Set the Time Capsule to "Bridge Mode" and use it as the sole wifi signal generator.

Pick up a Airport Express and put it in the extreme other end of the house in the living room and have it serve as the signal booster.

One additional question. We have an Apple TV in that extreme end of the house running off of the wifi signal being generated by the Verizon hardware.

Would it make sense to place the Airport Express with the Apple TV and connect the Apple TV via ethernet to the Airport Express? Will that make any difference with some of the buffering and occasional HD quality issues we experience while streaming with ATV?

Your are on track except one thing. You will want the Express somewhere mid way between the Time Capsule and the Appletv. Otherwise it will have the same weak signal to extend that the Appletv has. Mount it mid way and it will still have a good signal and it will extend that good signal into the rest of the house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.