Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Stop...if you do not like carbon fiber treatments - then so be it, move on...I happen to like them very much, esp as a skin that allows any case to still be mounted, and as strips on a smartcover, to have something a little bit different. This is a dark grey smartcover with black strips and a back. I will add a clear back for a "CF under glass" look, that I use on my larger Ipad3 and now a 4. Enjoy....Application took all of 5 min....
8DC9D24A-554C-4BD7-9EFE-C80DD7A3B27D-3947-000009EF5A9F9534.jpg

EAFC72E7-9865-4F0B-9E14-AD26634AB464-3947-000009EE6B20E018.jpg

AAFA27A4-79CE-4455-B49A-6E8AFDB614AF-3947-000009EE671EFB6A.jpg

the black rear skin comes with a white and red apple CF skin...I used the white..the corners are open for easy application, if that bothers you, get the stick**.net one that has "extreme fit" - you use heat to apply the contour.

Last edited:

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
I don't understand why these skins rarely cover the corners. It is absurd to leave maybe the most vulnerable part of the back exposed.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I don't understand why these skins rarely cover the corners. It is absurd to leave maybe the most vulnerable part of the back exposed.

this is new to me too, I assume for easy fit. The icarbons for the big ipads 2 and 3 did cover the corners and all it took was a hair dryer to flatten them out. I'm putting on a back so I don't care, but I do know sticker-boy-dot net has a fit that does cover the corners...

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Looks nice. Not a big carbon fiber guy, but can't deny that it looks good.

it's hit or miss...I did it on the brighter color (red/blue) covers and it was too garish..the black works well on just the greys, IMO...I've done the white/silver strips too and no go...here's a miss,IMO:
8280b7bb.jpg

GoBIG

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
Got mine too! I love the look...except I'm not sure about the red logo...I think I preferred it without....I may try the white. But black on black looks the best. The iCarbons are great as far as fit...it's pretty exact! Only thing...and this is minor...I can feel the edges in day to day use because of the thickness of the stickers. They feel kind of sharp...and like they could get snagged on the edges. I guess only time will tell...but I don't think it'll be a problem. Oh...and when you fold the smart cover all the way over the back to read...it's a little more slippery because the stickers on the cover are rubbing the sticker on the back of the mini.

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 278
  • image(1).jpeg
    image(1).jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 208

GoBIG

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for the tip! I'm not sure I trust myself with a razor though!:eek: I'll probably just leave well enough alone...I'll get over it! Sure as I've gotten over the no retina display thing!:D

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
That looks pretty sweet. How slick/slippery does the CF feel? I had a skin, i'm thinking from LuckyLabs and I remember that it was kind of harder to grip. I don't know if my fingers are more oily than most, or if it is just normal on the CF skins.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
it has a texture to it, never found it slippery, but it is not "grippy"

it's fake CF, and a vinyl...google "3M Di-Noc" - the actual name of the material...

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
Awesome. I've got a clear Poetic back en route (hopefully), might just go with the CF Smart Cover inserts. I've got a Red SC and have seen these before on the bigger SC's, good match between the CF and Red.

I found 2 discount codes online if anyone is interested, can't confirm if they're valid or not:

20% off-IPIC
Free US Shipping-USCHATFREE

GoBIG

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
Yep...I was able to use the "IPIC" discount code and got the 20% off. I guess I should have mentioned that earlier!

elementskins

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2012
Metro Vancouver, Canada

Making the skins for the iPad mini is a bit more difficult due to the profile of the corners on the iPad Mini. With previous iPads, it was fairly easy to make a skin that would wrap the back of the iPad, including it's corners because the radius/taper of the corner was minimal and spread out - a subtle curve. With the iPad mini, the corners are fairly prominent, with the corner radius curving almost 90 degrees in about 1/4" of space. This makes installation of the skin difficult, especially for newbies to the Skin install experience. I've also found that using a blow dryer doesn't make the material pliable enough to get a nice finish on a corner like the iPad Mini has.

As a manufacturer, companies like ourselves, iCarbons, Sticker-boy, Lucky Labs, etc, have to account for ease of installation by the end user, and frankly, while some of you are extremely well versed in installing these and do a terrific job, you are not the majority. In taking that into account, we need to come up with a design that looks good, offers as much protection as possible, and allows for ease of install by the end user.

The material we all use - 3M Di-Noc - does have the ability to install over a corner curve like the iPad Mini has, but to make a full wrap that completely covered the back edge to edge right to the bezel would realistically require a more custom installation by someone that has the experience and tools to get it right. Selling Skins online does't allow for that, so we design based on the ability of the majority.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.