Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Ok just got this game thru steam, maybe not the best idea since...well...

I play with the arrow keys and numpad when playing FPS, so shoot me. pun intended.

Anyway, with L4D2 or pretty much any other FPS I have ever played did not have this problem...that any keys besides the arrows which reside on the "right side" of the keyboard do not work. Bind reload to NUMPAD0, nothing. Bind it to Mouse5, works. Bind sprint to END, nothing. Bind to \, works.

Checked settings and sure enough they are still there, saved just fine. But they literally do nothing.

Wtf is this!?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Yea they said its a legacy thing from the PC code that won't allow NUMPAD/KEYPAD keys for use in the game.

Which is odd seeing as how when you goto Control Settings and choose to press, say, KP0 the game registers just "0". Checking the config.cfg file and yup, it just says bind 0 and not bind KP_0

Adding KP_0 does nothing to the config file even when saved and locked from further changes by the game itself.

I question how a company with access to source code can not patch this problem or even address it with more than "its like that"!?

This is THE ONLY game I have ever played, port or not, which wont let me use the numpad keys to play.

Since I doubt Aspyr will be helping me any further, is there ANY sort of app out there which can make keypad presses emulate regular keys?

If the game wants the 0 key above the QWERTY keyboard pressed, but I want the KP0 pressed, is there an app to fake that for me?

Yes, I suck...but I am not going to now learn after 15+ years to use the WASD keys for FPS. Its just not for me.

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
I don't know what keys you use to shoot and aim down the sights, throw grenades etc, but can't you just bind a key near one of them for reload?

Don't know of any programs to do what you asked.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
This is my setup in L4D2 and CoD4 and MoH and anything else. Maybe its my long fingers, IDK...in thinking back, I honestly believe Marathon (yes, Bungie's) wasnt default to the WASD...i digress

Full extended apple keyboard with the numpad

right mouse is aim down sights
the extra thumb button on the mouse is for melee
return (not enter) - use/open
KP0 - reload, quick with the pointer or thumb
CNTRL - jump
SHIFT - duck
END - sprint
KP1 - extra, like talk or grenade
KP2 - extra

And let me tell you, without KP1/2 for grenades, Black Ops is a bitch in multiplayer. Reload I mapped to the 2nd thumb button on the mouse, but I dont like it there since its too easy to hit the one for melee instead.

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
That sounds like a difficult setup for Black ops :p and more along the lines of what I used for Marathon games. Unreal Tournament (99) is the game that got me to shift to WASD.

What's your Black Ops MP name?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I used it fine with CoD4 which was basically black ops back in the day on the mac, I loved the setup. Now Im trying to find the app for "spoof/emulate" something which makes a keystroke appear as another.

is it my steam ID?

CheatHacker

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
New York
I love this game and this topic helps me to understand it. Thanks for this topic.
[doublepost=1509509532][/doublepost]Thank you for this topic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.