Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blastair

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
I Like It

I started using Clear for iOS right after it came out, and it has become part of my workflow for certain tasks. If I need something shared, geo-fenced, or tied to a date, I use Reminders. But Clear is a fun way to manage more of my daily to-do's without the clutter.

That said, I really like Clear for Mac. I initially wasn't planning on buying it, but the $6.99 price caused me to change my mind. If you don't already use Clear for iPhone, the Mac counterpart is pointless. It's fun to use, in my opinion, but only because I already have a workflow established with the iPhone version.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
This app is more useful on iOS devices (because of the portability), that's probably why it came out for them first. Given that, why should it cost more on Mac.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I use clear for IOS. Not a ton, but I do use it.
Very smooth, intuitive interface. Great for managing small lists.

That said, $6.99 for a Mac version? No thanks.

iCloud syncing was a good move. Shared reminders/lists will be a high point if they ever implement it.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Just curious to know how it compares to Wunderlist (which is free on iOS and OS X), I've just started using it and it seems pretty good. Clear would have to be pretty damn good to get me to buy something, unless I'm missing something.

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Clear is ugly as *****. I have the iOS app and have come to the conclusion that it must have been designed by an underwhelmed High School art student. The app is great if you want to look at an active range of hues, otherwise, keep away.

----------

Just curious to know how it compares to Wunderlist (which is free on iOS and OS X), I've just started using it and it seems pretty good. Clear would have to be pretty damn good to get me to buy something, unless I'm missing something.

IMO, you are better off with wunderlist. Clear is just a simple list app with no context. Some people like it b/c its so plain with no cruft, but the Receding hue UI kills me.

Last edited:

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Clear is ugly as *****. I have the iOS app and have come to the conclusion that it must have been designed by an underwhelmed High School art student. The app is great if you want to look at an active range of hues, otherwise, keep away.

----------

IMO, you are better off with wunderlist. Clear is just a simple list app with no context. Some people like it b/c its so plain with no cruft, but the Receding hue UI kills me.

The things that set some people off never cease to amaze me!

If you're so deeply offended by the "receding hue UI", why not just go to the Themes setting and select Cloudy ... you problems will be over. :rolleyes:

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I doubt it.

I bet you're right. They are probably threatening to raise the price simply to get people to buy their app. The iPhone version sure is great though. It's the first Todo app I've been able to get into and I've tried everything and spent too much money (all versions of Things, Omnifocus, and many others).

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
The things that set some people off never cease to amaze me!

Ditto :rolleyes:

If you're so deeply offended by the "receding hue UI", why not just go to the Themes setting and select Cloudy ... you problems will be over. :rolleyes:

I'm not offended, that would be either goofy or ridiculous. Can't decide which...

My vision deficiency aside, a receding hue only makes sense if you want to quickly glance your upcoming tasks but not review daily tasks. plus, the receding hue makes the tasks near the bottom subconsciously invisible. Wunderlist is a task and project manager, much like Omnifocus, etc... Clear is just a simple to do list.

You mentioned the cloudy theme, I don't see it. All I have is heat map, graphite, princess, lucky clover, and theme noir.

I'm not saying the app doesn't work for you or many other people. Just personally, I think it's an eyesore. That's my opinion.

digitalove

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
sorry my ignorance but how icloud works?
i just downloaded clear on my mac+iphone, enabled i cloud and i didn't even need to login somewhere and icloud sync just works across my devices :O

Gala

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
I don't think everyone really gets Clear. I don't view it as a To Do app like AnyDo & Producteev or a GTD app like Omnifocus, Things, and 2Do. It's not even a Reminders app like Apples own. Comparing it to those is unfair.

IMO it's a List app. You can't set reminders or schedule anything on it but if you need to make lists frequently its perfect. There is no clutter, there is no switching between list or date mode, and there is no searching for your lists.

I've used Omnifocus, Things, 2Do, Reminders, Producteev and AnyDo. With all my tasks in one place I could never enter a grocery list easily and find it correctly on the app. Now I use Producteeve (because it's free on iOS, Mac, Web, & Android) for my work tasks but use Clear for all my Lists (Shopping, Party, Books, Apps etc.)

PS - Reminders location based reminders never seemed to work for me anyways. Maybe it's my area or maybe it's just cause I have Sprint.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.