Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Rush Hour

^^^Nice composition, Dale.

Sometimes you just gotta get groovy...

RushHour.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Great shot, as always. Question: Did you chuck the leaves in the water (at the bottom) for the shot? Or were they just fortuitously in the right place at the right time? ;)

Heh, great question. I am absolutely not above staging a shot like that (I have no shame when it comes to photography), but I really did find those leaves just as you see them...with one exception: the small, bright yellow leaf in the upper right corner of the group was placed there by my husband on his own initiative. He stretched over and dropped that one in there while I was shooting, and I thought it worked, so that's what you see in the photo! :)

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Dale: Brilliant timing on the Mallard

AlexH: It wasn't till I looked at your picture twice that I realised why you had named it thus! Interesting looking conqueror!

Phrasikleia: Nice motion trails and I love the moss texture.

This one is from the zoo the other day. These 2 were in the shade for the whole time I was there unfortunately, at the time of this picture I was really hoping that the one on the left would nuzzle or lick the other. It wasn't till I spoke to their keeper when they were fed that I found out they only do that sort of thing to infants.

I do look forward to a new body and glass later on that handles shade much better, but beggars can't be choosers. Considering this is shot through wire and with my basic setup, I'm pretty happy with it!

IMG_5554.jpg

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country

Beautiful shot of the entrance to Piazza San Marco (St. Mark's Square), with the Doge's Palace to the right and the Campanile Belfry. About 50 yards to the left of the belfry is the famous Caffe Florian (nice name!) where Casanova used to frequent. Did you take this shot from Saint George's Church from across the Canal?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Splendid idea. I could do with a new body too. Maybe I can get some kind of part-exchange deal. Even a new pair of legs would be good...

Walking the dog...

dog1jk.jpg

With these sort of photo's were there is no obvious horizon line how do you decide how to tilt your camera?

^^^Nice composition, Dale.

Sometimes you just gotta get groovy...

RushHour.jpg

Wow. Are the orange parts of the photo Autumnal leaves?

Mine for the day, as always comments are welcome!

Summer Time by acearchie, on Flickr

Last edited:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Splendid idea. I could do with a new body too. Maybe I can get some kind of part-exchange deal. Even a new pair of legs would be good...

While you're handing out body parts, I could use a new neck and a new back. Doesn't have to be the latest thing...last year's model would do fine...

Love that color palette, VirtualRain. That has to be the perfect sky to go with the colors of the architecture.

Fantastic shot!!

Thank you!

Wow. Are the orange parts of the photo Autumnal leaves?

Yup. The same leaves you see fallen on the rocks and walls of the gorge. We had a lot of fun looking for little whirlpools in the river that day. :)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Yup. The same leaves you see fallen on the rocks and walls of the gorge. We had a lot of fun looking for little whirlpools in the river that day. :)

I thought so, they're great. The brightness and saturation make them look like some sort of tropical firefly!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
With these sort of photo's were there is no obvious horizon line how do you decide how to tilt your camera?

Since I tend to use a tripod, I generally have time to straighten things up. But, yes, in a pic without a horizon I just compose by eye... knowing I have a second chance to make minor changes when editing.

The problem I have is with buildings. I've only got one eye, and I can spend ages trying to make a church spire stand up straight. If I rotate left it looks wrong; if I rotate right it looks no better. :p

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto

snyder7

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
4.jpg

Hiking near the top of Mount Shasta a few minutes after sunrise the sun gently touches the peaks directly across as well as a the tips of a group of pine trees near the bottom left, right by the road.

3 exposures blended together using multiple exposure blending techniques, luminosity selections and other advanced masking to extend the dynamic range.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.