Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quicksilver867

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Philly
Lol at everyone throwing a fit over this. You try making your MBP into one of these. Not easy.

It's also not even trying to cater to the sheep iPad users. So stop.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Unacceptable

Apple needs to sue these guys into oblivion. The sooner the better.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Will never happen. That design is only for the kind of people that put a huge case and attached keyboard on an iPad and think it's a new form of laptop and really do not understand what a tablet is all about

You know, like the tablets made for ~2 decades before the iPad

You are a clown, and clearly in the "I like to play Angry Birds on my 27" iMac" camp of MacRumors users. Well sonny, next time, consider some people actually use their Apple equipment for real work.

The iPad with a keyboard is actually pretty useful and is more viable than a laptop in some instances.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Apple needs to sue these guys into oblivion. The sooner the better.

Why? And based on what legal avenue? And whats it to you?

The modbook has been around since about 2007 and it hasn't been sued into oblivion yet. What is going to change?

Last edited:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I just wonder if their is a need for this product now?

Yes I know it does more than the iPad and gives OS X touch but like others have said, I'd get the iPad and a MBP or iMac.

I remember seeing the older models on Sanctuary before the iPad changed the world!

Aug 19, 2008
Actually, the only real thing we need is a good BT pen for the iPad for the ones who really want to draw, write and sketch with a pen instead the finger.

There's no need for a full converted laptop with full OS... and surely not for $3500.

This thing was good back in the days, but is completely useless today.

No Thanks!

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
This is what I was hoping the iPad would have been before the first iPad came out. Just take the Macbook Pro and put the display where the keyboard and trackpad are. Keep everything else the same. All the I/O, Intel quad core i7, Nvidia or AMD graphics, 8GB ram, 500GB HD etc. And of course full desktop/laptop Mac OS X. That's what the iPad should have been. Yes the iPad is amazing in a lot of ways but iOS is still not as good as Mac OSX.

spookyghost

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
As a comic book artist, this with a retina display would be worth it at twice the price. Directly working on images in PS with a retina display...ugh, take my money, make my life easier!

For those that don't get it, it's probably like upgrading your chair at work to an Aeron from Herman Miller. They are expensive, it's hard to justify the cost expenditure when it won't really change productivity, but it's epic for morale. Or...maybe like dropping a few grand on a mattress versus the $300 mattress you still sleep on from your college days?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
$3500? Really? I was wondering when Apple was going to do this "mod" themselves.

Likely never. If they saw a major value in it they would have done it and not the iPad. But for the number of units they would sell versus the more common users who a reserved just fine by an iPad, not really worth it

----------

Which artist uses a phone for drawing?

Many actually. There have been exhibits with the likes of Hockney. And even more using iPads.

----------

No. There is a genuine MacBook Pro that they modded into a tablet. Nothing illegal here, otherwise it could be cheaper.

Not illegal, but easy guess its a potential warranty void. At the least a warranty mess cause Apple won't touch any issue with the display etc

----------

It's not a touchscreen device. It's stylus only.

If that is true then I'd have no say fail on it. For that price they should be able to have it work as both.

It's almost amusing because those 'requires a stylus' phones where what Steve's anti stylus hype was about. He was fine with folks having the choice which is why they didn't block stylus use from the iPhone etc. and yet here's a company apparently going back to those days after all this time. Seems a poor choice of game play

stanleyparrales

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
"who wants a stylus?" ~Steve Jobs 2007 iphone keynote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YY3MSaUqMg

enough said with the stylus

so your taking a 1,100 laptop (cause those specs aren't the high end specs)
then multiply by pi
then you remove a usb drive cause we need less of those...apprently
and you add weight 1.1lb more why? you took out everything good in it already
its pressure sensitive so you can draw pictures...so this is marketed for art students, cause those hippies have money right...
who ever buys this product in not mentally sound to make decisions

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
This has been around for a while in both concept and actual product, they used to sell one based on the white macbookl many wont remember, but this is esentially much closer to what many people, myself included, wanted and hoped that the ipad would be. I was amazingly disapointed when the ipad launched and couldnt get over the fact that it was just a large iPhone. Obviously, people came to see the ipad the way steve jobs envisioned it after a while, but there was much disapointment early on. To clarify, im not talking about specs, the digitizer choice or method of touch inputs, simply that many people wanted a full fledged OS X based tablet, or at least they thought they did :p

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles
Lots of confusion and misplaced hostility on this product. Probably from people who are not interested in this item and don't really want one anyway. Understandable, but really, there's no reason to bag on something if you don't really know what it is, why it is, or how it is used.

I'm probably the target market for a product like this, as I am an artist that uses a Cintiq at work and I also have a Cintiq at home for freelance. I also draw on-location frequently and would love a portable computer with a stylus interface with sensitivity and performance that is comparable to the Cintiq. (By the way, the stylus interface is far far better than a touch screen surface here. Most artists are better draftsman with pencils than they are with their fingers.)

I bought a 21UX Cintiq when they first came out (back when they were unfortunately REALLY expensive) and have used it for years and it has actually paid for itself many times over. It is a fabulous product and has become almost a requirement in most animation and some film studios. Many artists (myself included) actually turn down job offers if I have to work on a graphire or intuos style table and not on a Cintiq. I have spent my whole life learning how to draw with a pencil on a paper, right in front of me, and Modbooks and Cintiqs simulate that experience pretty well.

Don't expect Apple to sue this company anytime soon- what they are doing is helping sell more Apple products and giving those products wider capabilities. Nothing that different than Carroll Shelby taking brand new Ford Mustangs and adding aftermarket items to make the cars faster and handle better.

However, what I am personally NOT a fan of on this Modbook is the price tag. With 3500 bucks, I could buy a 22" Cintiq, a small Macbook Pro AND an Ipad with a tablet drawing program thats pretty solid for on-site drawing. Its a great item, but the price is simply too high for what it is and what it can do in my opinion.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
I would love one of these!!!!
Can someone please buy me one? :D :p

Apple should release something like this. I mean so far we only have touch screen iOS devices. Why not give us a touch screen OSX tablet? Or would that kill a big chunk of the iPad market? Maybe as technology progresses we could see a combination iPad and Mac device. The iMacPad? A device that lets you run apps and utilise OSX functionality. Maybe one day... Maybe not...

Death-T

macrumors regular
May 18, 2012
Savannah, Georgia
I remember reading about this before. I think it's pretty cool. It would make more sense though for them to use an 11 inch Macbook Air imo. It's a shame they're so expensive, I'd like to have one.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
"You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but it won't please anyone" - Tim Cook

why? i like my ipad but its not a macbook replacement for me. This is both.

OK, so this thing is more or less aimed at artists and graphic designers. Now, I have no statistics on this, but I bet there are lots of people who would love to run OSX on iOS devices such as an iPad4. But with no likelihood of 'massive' sales numbers, we probably can't expect APPLE to entertain this. I wouldn't be surprised if they could market this for less than a third of that 3499 price tag.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
If Mr. Jobs had introduced this at a Key note people would be going gaga over it. Unibody this pen input that it's why Apple owns the creative market etc.

Ill help you guys comprehend it: There's one more thing *picks up tablet off table and draws on it* *crowd cheers* meet the magical new Modbook Pro as you know Apple has a long standing relationship professional artists and they have been clamoring for a product like this. The power of a MacBook Pro, the portability of an iPad, and the usefulness of a tablet *shows profile* look how thin it is! *crowd cheers* this is insanely great! All of this impressive power wraped in a thing aluminum uni-body enclosure and it only weighs 5.5 pounds. It available for pre-oder now and will ship in three weeks and the best thing of all the base price is only $3500 and remember it runs OSX so all your current apps will run on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.