Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
keep in mind there are many others suffering this problem that don't go onto forums to complain...my sister is one of them

I say they should. The more people complaining the faster it will get changed. Well I mean they can't do like a recall of the product but maybe they can offer to replace bent iPhones for free or something. Or a special iPhone bumper.
I shouldn't have to shell out $20+ for a case to enjoy my very expensive phone. It's been pretty drop proof so far but I don't have the ease of mind anymore knowing that it could just suddenly turn up bent.

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
I say they should. The more people complaining the faster it will get changed. Well I mean they can't do like a recall of the product but maybe they can offer to replace bent iPhones for free or something. Or a special iPhone bumper.
I shouldn't have to shell out $20+ for a case to enjoy my very expensive phone. It's been pretty drop proof so far but I don't have the ease of mind anymore knowing that it could just suddenly turn up bent.

they should...but wont...she just isn't interested in forums, etc...she complains to the apple store and that's it...who knows what they do with that information...

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Well I mean they can't do like a recall of the product but maybe they can offer to replace bent iPhones for free or something. Or a special iPhone bumper.[/QUOTE]

Supply a special bumper?? A bent one? :eek:

One that covers the whole band and is preferably made of a material that's not easily bendable lol. Like a regular old bumper but just for the 5. That reminds me I ordered one from amazon a few days ago :O

Courty03

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
I bought the iPhone 5 two weeks ago, this is my first iPhone and I gotta say - I'm not exactly thrilled with my experience right now. I had the same issue; put my phone in the small pocket of my purse and it bent in the top, left hand corner of the phone. I didn't drop the phone, or the purse. The phone is showing a very noticeable crack near one of the volume buttons.

Apple won't help me in store, or via their 1-800 number. I am being told I have to pay $200 if I want to replace it since this apparently looks like it was a user issue and is not a manufacturing issue. After seeing multiple comments on web forums, it is quite clear we did not all do this to our phones. If I had dropped the phone with enough force to bend it back like that, it seems to me the screen would also have damage.

Clearly the metal used with this model is more malleable than it's predecessors. It is not reinforced enough around the volume buttons causing it to bend backwards if any force is put on it over a long enough period of time. No one should have to be paranoid that their $700 phone will warp when they put it in their pocket or purse. Apple needs to realize this is a growing issue, fix it, and show us that "world-class" customer service they are supposedly known for. I have yet to see it.

Attachments

• Image 1.jpeg
    Image 1.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 239
  • Image 4.jpeg
    Image 4.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 329
  • Image 3.jpeg
    Image 3.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 202

applewantobe

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Bent IPHONE 5 AS WELL

The moment our son opened his Iphone 5, we put it in an Otter Box to protect it. He was busy with school and homework the first 2 days but kept it in his front pocket (sport shorts) and used it a bit at home. On the third day, he noticed the volume button was stuck. We took it to Apple store in TX and genius bar said phone was bent, he had to have bent it so we would have to pay to replace it. It was 3 days old and in an Otter Box! He has never had a problem with previous phone and not hard on anything else and did not drop it, sit on it or drop anything on it. I believe we will see lot's of this. Maybe it wasn't heat treated correctly. Apple needs to do something.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
The moment our son opened his Iphone 5, we put it in an Otter Box to protect it. He was busy with school and homework the first 2 days but kept it in his front pocket (sport shorts) and used it a bit at home. On the third day, he noticed the volume button was stuck. We took it to Apple store in TX and genius bar said phone was bent, he had to have bent it so we would have to pay to replace it. It was 3 days old and in an Otter Box! He has never had a problem with previous phone and not hard on anything else and did not drop it, sit on it or drop anything on it. I believe we will see lot's of this. Maybe it wasn't heat treated correctly. Apple needs to do something.

The 6061 non-tempered aluminum used in the body of the 5 is very malleable and can be bent easily, including simply having it in your front pocket and sitting down. The point of weakness it just above the volume + and - button as these areas have the least amount of material. It is a design flaw. A phone made out of plastic would not bend this easily.

Knowing this, try to bend your phone back into position before paying the $229 fee. It's worth a shot.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I bought the iPhone 5 two weeks ago, this is my first iPhone and I gotta say - I'm not exactly thrilled with my experience right now. I had the same issue; put my phone in the small pocket of my purse and it bent in the top, left hand corner of the phone. I didn't drop the phone, or the purse. The phone is showing a very noticeable crack near one of the volume buttons.

Apple won't help me in store, or via their 1-800 number. I am being told I have to pay $200 if I want to replace it since this apparently looks like it was a user issue and is not a manufacturing issue. After seeing multiple comments on web forums, it is quite clear we did not all do this to our phones. If I had dropped the phone with enough force to bend it back like that, it seems to me the screen would also have damage.

Clearly the metal used with this model is more malleable than it's predecessors. It is not reinforced enough around the volume buttons causing it to bend backwards if any force is put on it over a long enough period of time. No one should have to be paranoid that their $700 phone will warp when they put it in their pocket or purse. Apple needs to realize this is a growing issue, fix it, and show us that "world-class" customer service they are supposedly known for. I have yet to see it.

WOW. This bending is some serious stuff. That's why I am so happy that I am on the S cycle (currently have 4S), you get to observe the models 1st year of production, and see all the problems/flaws that come with a redesign. Then it get's worked out and the next model has it perfected (although every model has it's problems) That metal around the volume buttons is seriously way too thin.

More and more stories are coming in of people bending their iphone 5, and with barely any real heavy pressure or stress put on the phone.

Not good, not good.

Although made of glass, my 4S is built like a rock. Maybe having a feather light aluminium, thin phone isn't the best idea.

If this isn't changed for the next installment, I think I'll keep my 4S, or shop elsewhere :/

I know many people AREN'T bending their iPhone 5, but the fact that it CAN happen so easily makes me nervous.

Last edited:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

how can someone fit an otterbox in their pants pocket?

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
These pictures are.....insane. How do this happen?!?! im not going to try to bend my iphone 5 but how much stress must have been applied for this to happen? Im assuming these were just a bad batch

Not, not bad batch. Bad design.

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
I don't know...I think it's just a defect with some handsets. I've had mine for about a week or so and put it in my front pocket all the time and sit down, put it in my coat pocket and have the seatbelt pressing against it while driving, etc. Phone is still fine. :confused:

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I think people are careless and have no respect for a fine piece of machinery.

If you see one in the shape of an iPhone 5, let me know. The material used to make the body was a mistake. Non-tempered aluminum at that thickness will easily bend. Boo Apple, Boo.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
If you see one in the shape of an iPhone 5, let me know. The material used to make the body was a mistake. Non-tempered aluminum at that thickness will easily bend. Boo Apple, Boo.

I've sat on my iPhone 5 plenty of times and it has sustained zero damage. A friend punched my leg today and happened to hit my phone. I immediately took it out of my pocket to check if it was bent because threads like this one have made me paranoid. Was it bent? No. Dented? No. Cracked? No.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I've sat on my iPhone 5 plenty of times and it has sustained zero damage. A friend punched my leg today and happened to hit my phone. I immediately took it out of my pocket to check if it was bent because threads like this one have made me paranoid. Was it bent? No. Dented? No. Cracked? No.

Well that proves it then! :rolleyes:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

He's got a point that it's not solely bad design like many have pointed out. There are those that have subjected our phones to damage that, according to the posts on here, should have been bent to hell by now. And they simply are not. I carry mine in my front pocket all the time caseless. I haven't had any sort of protection on my phone since launch day. No bends, no cracks.

I'm really starting to think it's people being careless and not wanting to come clean so they can get a sob story from us or from the Geniuses to get a free replacement.

zandermom23

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
I just got my white iPhone 5 last Friday. Perfect out of the box however it does feel more delicate than I expected. With hearing about bent phones it worries me.

Now do not misunderstand me here because IPhone will always be my #1. But I do have a galaxy nexus and this thing is as tough as craftsman tools. Definitely feels better than later models such as S2 and S3. I dropped it today flat on its face and nary a scrat h mark or dent. I love this phone for its design. Never had it in a case and will never need one. The Galaxy S3 feels like a cheap piece of blankety blank but not my good old Nexus.

Anywhoo back to the I5......I am in love with it, have it in a sleek cygnett urban shield but hope the thing doesn't bend for crying out loud.

zandermom23

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Hate replying to my own reply but I started to get freaked out seeing more pics and hearing more on the net (not just here) about how this new phone can bend. So I called att and almost did an exchange for the 4s but just about as she was about to finish and email the exchange I just couldn't do it and told the rep I decided to keep the 5. I hope I dont regret it.
Did someone post here that her phone bent in her purse?? Without any drops it anything. Someone give me piece of mind. I do have insurance but doesn't it not cover accidental damage??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.