Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Does any one else's iPad mini make a creaky clicking type sound when the screen is pressed a little harder than being tapped? I noticed last night as I was putting on my tech skin that the iPad glass creaked and clicked at certain points when I pressed down on it. It is in the middle but leaning a little closer to the edge where the volume controls are. Anyone else having creaking issues?

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Does any one else's iPad mini make a creaky clicking type sound when the screen is pressed a little harder than being tapped? I noticed last night as I was putting on my tech skin that the iPad glass creaked and clicked at certain points when I pressed down on it. It is in the middle but leaning a little closer to the edge where the volume controls are. Anyone else having creaking issues?

I just examined it further. It seems my iPad Mini's screen has become detached from the chamfered edge of the middle right side edge of the body. I can actually feel the glass is sunken in slightly along the right edge compared to the left edge. So when I push down the edge of the glass is rubbing along the edge of the casing.

Dammit gotta get it exchanged. Does anyone know if apple will exchange the iPad mini if I bought it from Best Buy?

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I just examined it further. It seems my iPad Mini's screen has become detached from the chamfered edge of the middle right side edge of the body. I can actually feel the glass is sunken in slightly along the right edge compared to the left edge. So when I push down the edge of the glass is rubbing along the edge of the casing.

Dammit gotta get it exchanged. Does anyone know if apple will exchange the iPad mini if I bought it from Best Buy?

They will exchange even if bought at best buy

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

If you take it to Apple they'll give you a brown box replacement... probably new at this point since doubt refurbs are in the wild so soon. Take it back to BB and return it for a brand new white box one since the return period hasn't expired. Why take a chance at getting a refurb.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Why not simply return it to Best Buy for a replacement ?

Sold out...

----------

How hard have you been pushing on the screen? It's meant for tapping/swiping, not mashing down on.

I don't mash on it. I noticed it was squeaking when I was picking it up, pinching the screen and the back in my fingers to hold it, like when a person would pick up/hold a closed book.

Now when I push down on it I hear the squeaking every time. So I kept pushing to see where it squeaks. This is clearly a lemon. I've been way more gentle with the Mini than I had with any of my previous 3 iPads.

----------

They will exchange even if bought at best buy

If they had any. My local best buy only has the 64gb. I bought the 16gb.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Umm, you posted that it was officially deemed defective an hour after I made my comment. Do grasp that.

I described the issue at in the 3rd post on this page at 11:44pm dated Nov 7th as seen in the following quote:

I just examined it further. It seems my iPad Mini's screen has become detached from the chamfered edge of the middle right side edge of the body. I can actually feel the glass is sunken in slightly along the right edge compared to the left edge. So when I push down the edge of the glass is rubbing along the edge of the casing

Do read past titles sir... That includes later updates before snide comments, please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.