Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krimonstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
I bought a full price iPhone 5 from AT&T and unlocked it days ago.
Now I'm using it in tmobile. But it seems it Internet is not enough fast. I think it is still under edge as the "E" is on the screen. So how to use tmobile' HSPA Internet? Is there any setting for that?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You cannot do anything on your end.
Most of the US you will only get Edge data with Tmobile.
Some places have been refarmed by Tmobile to have 3G with iphones but that's slowly but hopefully expanding.

krimonstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
You cannot do anything on your end.
Most of the US you will only get Edge data with Tmobile.
Some places have been refarmed by Tmobile to have 3G with iphones but that's slowly but hopefully expanding.

It used to be 3G in my old cellphone. It was written 3G on the corner of the screen of that cellphone when I was using Internet.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Sorry but unless you live in an area that has 3g that will work on an iPhone on Tmobile you are stuck with edge.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
It used to be 3G in my old cellphone. It was written 3G on the corner of the screen of that cellphone when I was using Internet.

Iphones dont support the 3G bands that Tmobile phones can. thats why tmobile is refarming to allow iphone users to have 3g

Cebuano1976

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Verrado, Buckeye, Arizona
Glendale, Arizona

I got T-Mobile 3G on my iPhone 5.

Attachments

• IMG_0441.PNG
    IMG_0441.PNG
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 80

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
that seems useless... buying a full price iPhone 5 for T-Mobile when you can only use Edge. Better off getting an iPhone 4 and just paying ETF.

Malish

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Hey, the users that got Iphone 5 working for TMobile and if you had the Iphone 4 before, did you shave down your sim card and had an issues or did you get a new SIM card from Tmobile? Tahnks.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
There are quite a few areas now with the iPhone-compatible network. If you do a search, I believe there's a thread on precisely this topic. Most cities will have 3G coverage by Q1 2013, supposedly.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
You can't get LTE, not even 3G in most places, so really it would just be a faster 4. Except you can get the 4 for free and pay the $325 ETF. Which is still about $350 cheaper than the 5.

right... but the cameras are so inferior than the 5/4s. that alone is worth getting the 4s.. or the 5. much less siri, hardware performance. (my 4 feels ancient compared to my 5 and 4s like the 3g did to the 4 lol) form factor, bigger screen, better screen contrast.. better battery (on the 5)and here is the deal breaker IOS UPDATES.. the 4 wont be getting updates past a year or two....

Plus the 5 has hspa+ so once t-mobile finishes up the refram.. youll be able to use faster 3g.. and LTE eventually.

idk... all that seems pretty justifiable to spend $200 more or even a hundred and get the 4s.

but i do agree with you on using an iphone on Edge.. i for one would just switch carriers if t-mo wasnt bring 3g/lte soon

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Hey, the users that got Iphone 5 working for TMobile and if you had the Iphone 4 before, did you shave down your sim card and had an issues or did you get a new SIM card from Tmobile? Tahnks.

I got a new nano sim from a T-Mobile store.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
right... but the cameras are so inferior than the 5/4s. that alone is worth getting the 4s.. or the 5. much less siri, hardware performance. (my 4 feels ancient compared to my 5 and 4s like the 3g did to the 4 lol) form factor, bigger screen, better screen contrast.. better battery (on the 5)and here is the deal breaker IOS UPDATES.. the 4 wont be getting updates past a year or two....

Plus the 5 has hspa+ so once t-mobile finishes up the refram.. youll be able to use faster 3g.. and LTE eventually.

idk... all that seems pretty justifiable to spend $200 more or even a hundred and get the 4s.

but i do agree with you on using an iphone on Edge.. i for one would just switch carriers if t-mo wasnt bring 3g/lte soon

I would say if you absolutely wanted an iPhone to get the 4S, no point spending an extra 100 on a few features when the biggest mainstay of the 5 is 4g LTE, which isn't compatible with T-Mobile yet, might as well just wait for the 5S or the 6. The 4S also has HSPA+ So you're not missing out on much unless a half a second faster and a slightly taller screen is worth $100 to you.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I would say if you absolutely wanted an iPhone to get the 4S, no point spending an extra 100 on a few features when the biggest mainstay of the 5 is 4g LTE, which isn't compatible with T-Mobile yet, might as well just wait for the 5S or the 6. The 4S also has HSPA+ So you're not missing out on much unless a half a second faster and a slightly taller screen is worth $100 to you.

The i5 is so much more than a i4 or 4S.
It's not just LTE that makes the difference between the 2 models.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC

If he's in an area that will be refarmed then the 5 does have a major data speed advantage over the 4S. The 4S is only capable of HSPA+ 14.4 while the 5 is capable of DC-HSPA (HSPA+42).

This means that users with the 4S will see max speeds around 7-8mbps while those with the 5 in an area with T-Mobile 3G can get speeds anywhere from 15-25mbps.

But if he's in an Edge only area that has no chance of being refarmed by T-Mobile then yes he's better off just getting the 4S unless money is no issue.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
If it's enough to make you pay $649 for edge only speeds then go ahead

Im on AT&T and on LTE speeds and paid $199.
I dont think I could tolerate 2G speeds again. I did it in 2007 with the original iphone but those days are over:D
Not going backwards to Edge speeds again.
But like I said the i5 has a lot more upgrades over the older iphone models besides an LTE chip.
Up to you though, your money.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
How can people tolerate Edge speeds or 3G speeds and not LTE is beyond me. Night and day difference. I don't care how cheap T-Mobile's plans are..If you can afford an iPhone 5 you might as well use better service.. geez

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Im on AT&T and on LTE speeds and paid $199.
I dont think I could tolerate 2G speeds again. I did it in 2007 with the original iphone but those days are over:D
Not going backwards to Edge speeds again.
But like I said the i5 has a lot more upgrades over the older iphone models besides an LTE chip.
Up to you though, your money.

He's putting it on T-Mobile, which means he either buys the device flat out or pays the etf, which still still put it somewhere in the $600 area.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
He's putting it on T-Mobile, which means he either buys the device flat out or pays the etf, which still still put it somewhere in the $600 area.

To some people its worth it or can afford it or whatever the reason might be.
There's people that drive Kia's and others that buy BMW's and Mercedes.;)
Price is not always the only deciding factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.