Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RTbar

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
I am happy to report that my iPhone survived a nasty drop from about 4 feet off the counter (thanks to my cat) onto hard tile floors unscathed while in the tones case. No damage to the case either

msmith2112

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2002
I've got a black one for sale in the marketplace forums if anyone is interested.

I LOVE this case, but the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter cable won't fit with it. I need a case that will fit with the adapter cable so i can use it in my car.

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
I own a black one. Does a great job of protecting without adding much bulk. The only drawback is you can lose the plugs easily. At least they include two of each in case you lose one.

Customer service is also top notch. I had some issues with the screen films and they quickly sent me some replacements free of charge.

The Destroyer

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Toronto

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
"Looking legit" is absolutely not a prerequisite for being legit.

I ordered from this seller and just got mine today. Seems very legit to me. Where do you think Switcheasy makes there cases? Everything comes from China anyways. Very happy with mine. Be sure to pay the $3 for shipping mine came from Hong Kong within 7 days.

The Destroyer

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Toronto
"Looking legit" is absolutely not a prerequisite for being legit.
Nice job trying to quote what I said without actually quoting anything that was said. :rolleyes:

The case appears exactly the same as the ones people are receiving from pictures posted so I assume the seller is selling them directly from there factory.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I've got a black one for sale in the marketplace forums if anyone is interested.

I LOVE this case, but the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter cable won't fit with it. I need a case that will fit with the adapter cable so i can use it in my car.

Same problem. But I like the case too much. Buy some 100 grit sandpaper and rub the lightning across it for a few minutes and then it will fit.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Has anyone in the UK ordered this case? if so from where and how long did it take to deliver? I've ordered it from amazon and was told it would arrive on the 29th of oct but have not received anything.

Switcheasy ships to 200 counties according to the website. Order direct from them.

Do you ship the outside U.S.?
SwitchEasy Support Team December 13, 2011
SwitchEasy ships door to door over 200 countries with FedEx.

Please refer to the following FedEx Express link for International Countries Served and Not Served

http://fedex.com/gb/contact/served-countries.html

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010

Wow, I didn't realize this. I have an unopened Blue Tones case I purchased while waiting on my phone to arrive. I guess I will sell mine too How Does $20 shipped sound to everyone. PM me.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
A little bit of 100 grit sandpaper on the connector fixed this for me. Tones is too nice to give up!

msmith2112

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2002
Same problem. But I like the case too much. Buy some 100 grit sandpaper and rub the lightning across it for a few minutes and then it will fit.

Interesting. Can you take a pic of the connector after you sanded it?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I love switcheasy cases. I have a white switcheasy COLORS for my 4S. My favorite is that the case covers the home button and it came with dock protectors and headphone jack protectors. And it was about 14$.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

Sure, give me until tomorrow afternoon. A bit busy until then. Basically you only need to sand down the connector on both sides, and ends, and just the depth of the SW case to make it work. It still looks white, but a bit tapered.

kjparfekt

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Washington, DC
My white tones case is now turning blue in all 4 corners. What's odd is I really noticed it today and I didn't wear jeans or place it anywhere that could explain the discoloration. Besides that the case has been great but who wants a case that looks dingy after 2 weeks.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I ordered the black Tones case from Amazon Uk - the case is just £19.99 including delivery - for that price, it is a bargain.

Hopefully will be getting it soon and will replace my flaking Speck Candyshell Grip case :)

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I ordered the black Tones case from Amazon Uk - the case is just £19.99 including delivery - for that price, it is a bargain.

Hopefully will be getting it soon and will replace my flaking Speck Candyshell Grip case :)

...posted this less than a couple of hours ago and then suddenly, my Tones case gets posted through my front door!!

First impressions are pretty good. The case is a lot thinner than my previous Candyshell Grip.

I like how Switcheasy provide lots of accessories with this case (with all their cases in fact) - 2 headset port covers, 2 dock connector port covers, 2 front screen shields and 1 back screen shield (not a full back but just a rectangle which covers the anodized part of the iPhone 5).

As someone else pointed out - the 'black' version of this case is not really black to be honest. The hard part on the back of the case, is like a really dark grey colour and the rest of the case is a lighter shade of grey.

I compared the lighter grey colour, on the Tones case, to the grey rubber surround, found on my previous Candyshell Grip (for my iPhone 5), and they are the exact same colour.

So to give you an insight as to how grey the Tones case is, its basically the same grey as found on the grey parts to the black Grip case here: http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/iphone-5-cases/candyshell-grip-for-iphone-5.html

All in all - I am liking the case. :)

Cosmos01

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
I ordered a turquoise Switcheasy Tones that should be delivered tomorrow. Does the case scratch or scuff the antenna/sides of the iPhone 5? I'm especially worried about that during removal. I have a SGP back shield so I am not as worried about back scuffing.

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
I ordered a turquoise Switcheasy Tones that should be delivered tomorrow. Does the case scratch or scuff the antenna/sides of the iPhone 5? I'm especially worried about that during removal. I have a SGP back shield so I am not as worried about back scuffing.

Hey Cosmos, would you mind taking a photo of your case when it arrives? I'm interested in the turquoise (I'm on a never-ending quest for a perfect green[-ish] case) and I feel like the stock photos on the website aren't very accurate. :)

Also, for the people who have this case: Is the rubber part actual "rubber" (gummy-like) or is it a TPU material where it's a "harder" rubber, kind of like the Incipio Frequency or Speck PixelSkin?

Last edited:

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009

Used 100 grit sandpaper, both sides evenly sanded, and finished with 220 grit.

Go easily, firmly, but check progress, so as not to go too far. I gave it a tapered look, instead of stepped. This will give a very, very slight bulge to the Tones case when inserted. Could sand some more, but I don't see a problem, maybe later I'll clean it up. Works great! But I wish Apple had made this connector the same size as the USB-Ligthning one.

I placed the sandpaper sheet on the table, and sanded the connector across it by hand. The rear of the connector is not sanded at all...so you can see that not too much is needed to be removed.

You can judge when it is working, when you hear the charging beep go off, if you have power connected to the 30 pin side...or something similar. You will also feel it snap into place.

Attachments

• IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    712.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1547.JPG
    IMG_1547.JPG
    689.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1548.JPG
    IMG_1548.JPG
    689.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1551.JPG
    IMG_1551.JPG
    727.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

Cosmos01

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Hey Cosmos, would you mind taking a photo of your case when it arrives? I'm interested in the turquoise (I'm on a never-ending quest for a perfect green[-ish] case) and I feel like the stock photos on the website aren't very accurate. :)

Also, for the people who have this case: Is the rubber part actual "rubber" (gummy-like) or is it a TPU material where it's a "harder" rubber, kind of like the Incipio Frequency or Speck PixelSkin?

So I just got my turquoise Switcheasy Tones and I am SO disappointed in it. The rubber part is a very stiff TPU (not "gummy-like" at all) that does not provide the buttons with very good feedback, as opposed to my Speck Candyshell. On top of that, the volume rocker buttons are slightly misaligned. I was also so scared to remove the case fearing the plastic sides would scratch the bezel. I also did not like the feel of the case in the hand since it is too plasticy and slippery with practically no grip since the rubber part is not grippy. Oh and the lay-on-the-table is extremely minimal. The only plus to the case is that the color was the perfect dusty green-blue :eek:. I was really looking forward to this case and did not expect to dislike it as much as I did.

/returned. :(

I am still on the hunt for my perfect case. Does the Incipio Frequency or Speck Pixelskin for the iPhone 5 provide more tactile and "clicky" button feedback?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.