Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yorkslad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Is it just me or is anybody else sick of the mud slinging between iPad mini and nexus 7 users?
We're all different and we can like more than one brand, machine or OS. Different strokes for different folks is what I say.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Unfortunately I think it's an age thing. I'd like to see more objective views.
Latham said even the review sites are useless. I've given up and just try to use them for myself.

I've toyed with starting my own reviews because there are so few proper ones out there. Even the giz and eng sites blow it.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
It is only natural for one to "protect" one's purchases by defending it. Some go farther than others. Apple people are very passionate about their products so it is only natural.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
No different then the mud slinging between the mini and the 10" iPad.

Latham said even the review sites are useless. I've given up and just try to use them for myself.

I've toyed with starting my own reviews because there are so few proper ones out there. Even the giz and eng sites blow it.
Ive always found Anandtech to have fairly indepth and unbiased reviews, the review of the mini should be out soon. Until then they have a quick review on there latest podcast #9

It is only natural for one to "protect" one's purchases by defending it. Some go farther than others. Apple people are very passionate about their products so it is only natural.

The problem I see is that many posters take passion to a "for me to win, you need to loose" mentality.

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Is it just me or is anybody else sick of the mud slinging between iPad mini and nexus 7 users?
We're all different and we can like more than one brand, machine or OS. Different strokes for different folks is what I say.

I'm iPad mini, and I approve this message.

Sorry couldn't resist. :)

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA

This.

Ten years ago, the Internet was different. No Facebook or Twitter. No smartphones or tablets. Fanboys that were less whiny, less needy, less narcissistic.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

I guess you've never heard of the Ford versus Chevy debate.

It doesn't matter if it is cars, sports teams or electronics. Go to any Forum on the Internet and you will see the same thing.

People making a significant emotional investment in their selection is nothing new. It started long before the Internet was even thought of.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011

This sounds more like a white flag from a mini user.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

This. The forum is now predominitly rather a young group. I just come here seldomly these days as I'm older. Nothing wrong with a young group, just the gen gap thing.....

The Mac forums are older by about 10 years , on average ( maybe I'm off...who cares :D )

Your move

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
The "age" thing cuts both ways. Yes, young people are notoriously snarky and angry and having an anonymous outlet only gives them more reasons to be immature.

But then there's the older side too. These are the old time Apple crowd who feel their faith was tested in the 90s and they've developed a sense of (irrational) pride in Apples success. So now that Apple is getting some legitimate challengers then they're back in 1994 mode and defending Apple to the death.

Personally I just find the whole idea of "comparing a product you want with a product you have no intention on buying" to be silly. Who cares about chicken vs beef if you're a vegetarian?

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
The "age" thing cuts both ways. Yes, young people are notoriously snarky and angry and having an anonymous outlet only gives them more reasons to be immature.

But then there's the older side too. These are the old time Apple crowd who feel their faith was tested in the 90s and they've developed a sense of (irrational) pride in Apples success. So now that Apple is getting some legitimate challengers then they're back in 1994 mode and defending Apple to the death.

Personally I just find the whole idea of "comparing a product you want with a product you have no intention on buying" to be silly. Who cares about chicken vs beef if you're a vegetarian?

any older person, or 'old time' Apple user who comes into this forum and argues constantly would have to be insane, or a consummate arguer. :D

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I've said it before (even today in another thread just like this one) that it's the attitude that is offensive and so bothersome. I'm glad to hear differing opinions, I don't expect everyone to blow sunshine up my arse on here, but I come here because I'm an Apple fan, and I want to talk about Apple products. I don't come on here to read posts from people who hate Apple or its products and think anyone who buys, uses or likes Apple products is too stupid to make decisions regarding his/her own life.

I'm here to talk about Apple products, not to be attacked for liking them.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
If you think the mud slinging between the iPad Mini and nexus 7 users is bad, you obviously haven't seen/heard what the politicians have been calling each other. I don't think I've seen nexus 7 users refere to iPad mini users as agents of Satan.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Agree with the OP. Frankly all of the current tablet offerings - with the exception of the Blackberry playbook (and no brand chinese offerings) - are pretty awesome for the money.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I agree OP and know where you're coming from. Some of the comments are just over the line. No one should be called stupid, idiots, iSheep, etc. It is about preference and possibly budget. It used to be you could post here for advice on which product would be best suit your needs. And people would offer advice based on your needs. The mini is no different than any other product...some people prefer luxury cars with all the bells and whistles and others are just happy to buy an economy model. They both get from point A to B. It just depends on how you prefer to get there.

As for the endless Android arguments, some of the comments border on being off topic because this is an Apple iPad forum. The name calling is childish. Express your thoughts but keep it civil. To tell you the truth, this anti Mini animosity got started long before the mini arrived. I suspect it's mostly competitor loyalist just stirring the pot. I would certainly support removing ALL name calling offensive post. Either be respectful or post elsewhere.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's the same for everything. Mac v Windows. IOS v Android. PS3 v 360. Console v PC..... (East Coast Rappers v West Coast Rappers). ;)

Its like some people feel they need to justify their purchasing decisions by belittling others who choose differently. As if it reassures them they made the correct purchasing decision and anyone who thinks otherwise instantly becomes the enemy ripe for attack. Like an initiation into a secret club whose only requirement is that they lose all sense of objectivity and blindly slag anything remotely different and to never see the good merit in anything other....

Usually they are the first to throw around the Fanboi slagging or call people Trolls too....

Just annoying no matter which forum section your in, or whatever forum in general.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London

I definitely agree on the both ways thing. Good points all around.

I'd missed that, interesting read, thanks.

Everyone has bad days... I've done my fair share of shouting on the Internet. I just try really hard not to now..because I'd rather talk than shout at a crowd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.