Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
CMYK was one of the last big 'gotchas' for Pixelmator compared to PS. Granted, it doesn't do a lot of the 'high-end' stuff like video editing or HDR, but I've always thought that those were bloat added to PS anyway, especially video.

I haven't installed PS since my last system reinstall, and now I think PM may be all that I need.

Try iDraw, it's in the Mac App Store, and looks a lot like Pixelmator. I've been using it to do vector tutorials from Vector tuts+. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but is still viable, and wonderfully fluid.

iDraw doesn't have a demo version, does it? I've kinda been looking at that and Sketch to replace AI. Unfortunately, my major use for AI these days requires EPS/CMYK support.

4D4M

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2005
Broken Britain
So we have Pixelmator for Photoshop and iDraw for Illustrator (Does iDraw do CMYK?) plus Coda/BBEdit for Dreamweaver.

Now somebody give me an alternative for InDesign that ISN'T Quark and I'll be seriously considering kicking all the buggy Adobe CS bloatware off my Mac!

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
CMYK-support: not bad :)

but wait... generic CMYK? :confused:

Well, hold on a second... Widely used as a printing standard color profile? :eek:

Ok. No replacement for PS. :(

tardegrade

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Devon, UK.
Has Hell suddenly frozen over?

The developers had said that CMYK just wasn't on their roadmap. They had no intention of supporting it at any time as far as I can recall.

This is seriously great news! It makes Pixelmator just about perfect for my needs now. Well done guys! :)

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
I Will buy it, try it and if it really works. I will be happy to know that my days of paying thousands of dollars for CMYK export and image corrections are over. Thanx Pixelmator! (Thx God I didn't buy CS6 yet!)

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
somebody give me an alternative for InDesign that ISN'T Quark and I'll be seriously considering kicking all the buggy Adobe CS bloatware off my Mac!

Swift Publisher. Seriously give it a try for free first.

----------

The New CS7 (Cheap Suit 7)

Pixelmator
iDraw
Espresso
Swift publisher

Less than $200 for a Professional set of tools!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Big leagues now

With lack of CMYK support, I have always viewed Pixelmator as eye candy, a graphic artist's toy. I bought. I launch it occasionally. But I use Photoshop. With this upgrade, Pixelmator has now become worthy of closer examination.

My next question is whether it recognizes embedded color profiles (like Adobe RGB-1998).

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Still has that terrible black UI. Looks like a mod is in order :rolleyes:

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
really nice update!

Its getting there. It'd need full compatibility with PS layer effects and much better natural media support (and probably a few more things I can't think of) for me to be able to consider replacing PS with it.. But it's still very impressive!

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
How I tested it

I've wondered about picking it up. CMYK support is great to hear.
Does anyone else out there think it's a viable alternative to Photoshop?

I use lynda.com for tutorials. I love Deke's Techniques. I use those to practice on Pixelmator. The techniques are designed to teach how to use the advanced features of Photoshop. So far I've been able to do 15 of them. I have on occasion had to figure out a replacement technique, but I've had good results.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
good to see where this app is going but still not enough to make the switch from PS.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
so how do i use the cmyk feature and save jpegs to cmyk?

i tried through view > generic or ps5 cmyk and then saved as jpeg, but it opens as rgb in photoshop cs4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.