Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Send me an example of an a4 sized PDF.
I just did, sent you a personal message.
Will give this another try on the iPad mini tomorrow (as I don't own one yet).

It'll probably be somewhat readable on the mini - but more straining on the eyes than on my "proper" iPad (3rd gen with Retina iPad). I expect the difference to be quite noticeable, even when I try to zoom out on my current iPad, scaling down so as to (approximately) fit the mini's screen.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I just did, sent you a personal message.
Will give this another try on the iPad mini tomorrow (as I don't own one yet).

It'll probably be somewhat readable on the mini - but more straining on the eyes than on my "proper" iPad (3rd gen with Retina iPad). I expect the difference to be quite noticeable, even when I try to zoom out on my current iPad, scaling down so as to (approximately) fit the mini's screen.

I had no problems reading those PDFs on the mini. But realize that others may have issues. To me they look great. Obviously they will look better on the retina display. But I still think they look very clear on the mini.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I like the iPad mini as well, but I wouldn't say it's the best. The screen resolution is not as good as it should be.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Had the opportunity to spend some additional time with the mini today.
While it's definitely "readable" and "usable" for me, it'd also be a big step down from the sharper retina display.

As much as I like in other aspects, I think I'm going to pass on this generation.

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
Pleasantly surprised.

I thought I was going to suffer some buyer remorse on this one.

Nope.

I love it. Lightweight, easy to hold, and your thumbs can reach across the keyboard in both portrait and landscape. That was pretty cool for me, someone who uses it for email a lot.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
My wife got the ipad mini. I am actually jealous. I left that life though and went to a laptop again. I may get one for iBooks if she is stingy with hers. It is an awesome little device.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I have been playing with it since yesterday at 3pm and I swear I can't put It down. I have owned every iPhone out I have the 5 right now and owned iPad 1,2 and 3rd gen with retina and have owned a 7" kindle fire and I swear this beats them all I mean even with the non retina display I find playing games,browsing the web and watching youtube videos very easy on the eyes I don't know why people are complaining apple has a big hit with this mini can't wait for mini 2.

Sound like you are trying to convice yourself!

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I now regret not getting a larger size iPad mini. Oh well, I'm pretty sure the retina version will be out within 12 months

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I now regret not getting a larger size iPad mini. Oh well, I'm pretty sure the retina version will be out within 12 months

Right now, I think if you are paying $329 for an iPad mini, you are right on the edge of it being worth it. Anything more starts getting out of hand, especially if you own an iPhone as well.

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Agreed. There is something incredibly charming about the iPad mini. I spent the whole weekend playing with it, loaded up all my magazines, comics, etc and streamed video to it. Absolutely love it. I much prefer this size over the iPad.

I agree, I find the mini form factor just as attractive as my MacBook Air, and the iPhone 5, which I can't get until Jan.

Sure the screen is not what it needs to be, but the portability of the device is so awesome. Why lug around a larger iPad when you can just throw this one in your bag and keep going.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Right now, I think if you are paying $329 for an iPad mini, you are right on the edge of it being worth it. Anything more starts getting out of hand, especially if you own an iPhone as well.

Well that would depend on what you will be using it for. This iPad Mini actually saved me money. How you say? I had purchased an iPod Touch 5 to use on trips when I travel in my car. I hate using my phone for this because I get lots of phone calls and email and the constant interruptions just doesn't make listening to music very enjoyable. Then I got the iPad Mini.. perfect size to take on the go, and use in my car for listening to music. So, now I have a nice size tablet, which can basically be used as iPod Touch in my car. My car head unit even controls the iPod Mini for music playing with my own music as well as Pandora.

So, I paid $100 more for a higher GB model, but brought back a $300 iPod Touch, because I didn't see any reason to keep both which I had intended to do.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Ipad 4 is the best tablet in the market. The mini doesn't even compare... Should i list why? I can't see how this is debatable, there is a reason why the mini is $200 cheaper lol

YungMoola94

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
How can you justify buying an iPad mini when you have an iPhone 5? It makes no sense.

----------

I personally sold my iPhone 5, got a Galaxy S3 and an iPad 3. I think this is a good combination.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
i still like the larger one better. it's my main computer. Now the Mini is no slouch, but as an only computer?

Maybe, but not for now. Could be though, as I didn't think the iPad would ever take over the driver seat, so to to speak.

----------

How can you justify buying an iPad mini when you have an iPhone 5? It makes no sense.

Your joking right? :D

ITS ME DAVID

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Pasadena, Ca

----------

I personally sold my iPhone 5, got a Galaxy S3 and an iPad 3. I think this is a good combination.

Too you maybe personally I hate androids sluggish operating system

Last edited:

ITS ME DAVID

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Pasadena, Ca
Galaxy S3 isn't sluggish and has better hardware than the iPhone 5. Don't get me wrong iPhone 5 is an amazing phone and so is the S3 so bashing something without knowing its quality is simply IGNORANT.

I didn't say anything about its quality I said ITS SOFTWARE stinks and its the truth I don't care if it has a quad core like the note 2 if the software don't work what's the point.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
All you guys (like me) who want something portable but have issues with the screen, go Nexus 7 for very cheap stop gap for now. It may have Android OS but for reading and web the screen is so much better than Mini. Closer to my 4th gen iPad.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Galaxy S3 isn't sluggish and has better hardware than the iPhone 5. Don't get me wrong iPhone 5 is an amazing phone and so is the S3 so bashing something without knowing its quality is simply IGNORANT.

haha you think you know about specs just because somethings has more cores xD The Iphone 5 is significantly faster than the S3 and MORE powerful. Look a benchmarks, java tests and battery life tests. If you want me to go into the technicality of the A6 chip and rip you i will. Don't talk without doing research. Cores, ram and ghz don't mean anything with **** architecture and operating system. Furthermore in real life the difference is day and night. The S3 lags like **** and can't run any high end games with out stuttering. (I can send you a video on this too) Also the 4S opens apps faster!!! (let alone the 5) If you don't believe me i will send you a video. Once again do some research and learn about chips before you make comments about hardware. Furthermore the S3 has about half the FPS of the Iphone 5 on the homecreen and even less than the Iphone 4S when running not running jelly bean. With jelly bean its still has significantly lower FPS on idle usage and active usage. The S3 is very sluggish compared the iphone 4s and 5. Go read up some on some Anandtech stuff.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
+1

I agree 100%. iPad mini feels like a compromise when viewing the web. I have my iPhone5 if I need to view the web in a pinch on the go or need to look something up real quick. But if I want to view the web in all it's glory the way it was intended and plan on spending some time browsing or using apps, I'm going with the full iPad all the way! Plus the Retina makes it that much better. So best tablet IMO is the iPad4 right now. The mini may be the best portable tablet out there but to me the iPad3 was never bulky or a problem to me to carry around anyway. Now all of a sudden with the mini, the iPad3/4 is to bulky, big, heavy to carry around?
Let's not forget to mention the fact a year ago a smaller iPad was the dumbest idea ever here.

OP I'm glad you're enjoying your iPad Mini, you're the one that bought it so your satisfaction should be all that matters. Who cares what some of us think (including me).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.